Adamshurst | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

Adamshurst

Item details

Name of item: Adamshurst
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 603 David Street, Albury, NSW 2640
Parish: Albury
County: Goulburn
Local govt. area: Albury City
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
603 David StreetAlburyAlbury CityAlburyGoulburnPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

One of the grander residential complexes of early Albury. Unique Australian architectural style.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1880-1907
Physical description: A large town mansion situated within extensive landscaped grounds consisting of two major buildings, now connected. The original house was a conventional hipped roof brick building with cast iron verandah built c. 1880 all in the Albury vernacular 'cottage' style. The larger later part is an exotic Edwardian building c. 1907 with twin Indian saracenic first floor cupolas over square pavilions joined by intricate masonry balustrading. Construction of this part is face brick, rough cast render decorative panels to walls, corrugated iron roof, elaborate Wunderlich metal ceilings internally and arches in halls whilst original part has adzed shape roof timbers. An extensive planted garden with winding driveway and palm trees completes the romantic appearance. The property was until recently run as a Girl's Hostel.
Note: Good Garden.
Note: Presmetal scale pattern roofs to towers and presmetal brick pat walls.
Modifications and dates: 2005 - Change of use including internal renovations 2006 - Alterations and additions to restaurant 2006 - Erection of a pylon sign 2007 - Erection of a front fence

History

Historical notes: Built by George Adams. Proprietor of Albury Banner. c. Mid-1880's. Additional and alterations C. 1907. Remained with Adams family until resumed to become hostel for High School girls in 1920's.

Recommended management:

Historical associations. The tower and reception rooms were added following Adam's remarriage. Currently occupied by the Department of Health. Possibly of some National importance. Links with 25, 123, 124, 125.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanAdamshurstI2113 Aug 10 105 
Within a conservation area on an LEPBonegilla - Guinea StreetC113 Aug 10 105 

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Albury Heritage Study 00021Graham Brookes & Associates  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1000021


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.