T & G Building | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

T & G Building

Item details

Name of item: T & G Building
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Commercial
Category: Commercial Office/Building
Primary address: 555 Dean Street, Albury, NSW 2640
Parish: Albury
County: Goulburn
Local govt. area: Albury City
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
555 Dean StreetAlburyAlbury CityAlburyGoulburnPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

Important streetscape element, focal point. A dramatic building incident in Albury's main street that remains in a virtually unaltered state. It complements the earlier civic buildings opposite by means of its theoretical form which is appropriately floodlit at night. Part of Albury Civic precinct.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: A & K Henderson & Partners, Melbourne; Rear portion by Louis Harrison, Albury
Construction years: 1920-1940
Physical description: A large two storey masonry building erected c.1935 and finished in painted render that faces a narrow facade with tower to Dean Street, the bulk of the building facing a side lane containing shops and offices. The five storey tower is evocative of the 1930's New York 'skyscraper' style with stepped pyramidal summit and vertical multi-level window recesses. Building is in excellent condition. Rear portion built in concrete by Albury Architect Louis Harrison.
Modifications and dates: 1991, 1993, 1994, 2006, 2008 - Shop alterations and additions 2002 - Repairs and painting of exterior of building
Further information: A former obtrusive 'Pancake Parlour' sign has been removed from above the awning level, thereby improving the significance of the item

History

Historical notes: The first note of premises on this site refer to P E Fallon's store for wine and spirits. Newspaper articles indicate that this was built in the 1870's. It is described as being set back from the street with a garden in the front. Friedmans General Store followed. Fred Vines Florist set up there and he turned the cellars into an ice cream shop styled on the Jenolan Caves. In 1924 the Hume Weir Sundae Shop is mentioned.

The T&G Building was erected c.1935. The rear portion built in concrete, was finished in 1940; front section including tower added on in 1940 by A & K Henderson & Partners (Melbourne). AMP Lane existed in the 1920's.

Recommended management:

Recommend architectural assessment to determine comparative value. See City Centre Study re: AMP and Volt Lanes, redevelopment potential.@@The Albury Main Street Project 1993 recommends:@@1. Paint in accord with original building style. Paint should emphasise the architectural elements of the building such as recessed windows and feature tower. Paint colour selection to be made with reference to the original colours. This could be achieved by colour scrapes to determine original colouration.@@2. Remove additional signs from the parapet.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanT & G BuildingI4213 Aug 10 105 
Within a conservation area on an LEPDean StreetC613 Aug 10 105 

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Albury Heritage Study 00042Graham Brookes & Associates  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1000042


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.