House 'Kotupna' | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

House 'Kotupna'

Item details

Name of item: House 'Kotupna'
Primary address: 7314 Grafton Road, Ebor, NSW 2350
Local govt. area: Armidale Dumaresq
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
7314 Grafton RoadEborArmidale Dumaresq  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Historically Kotupna is one of the major pioneering Guy Fawkes area properties and thus has high-level local significance. It is representative of type locally although its regional aesthetic significance is attributable more to the intact grouping of late 19th century buildings than to the homestead itself. The group contains a regionally-rare grand, intact Victorian weatherboard barn. Socially the property has great significance to the Turnbull family who have owned the property since its establishment. It is because of this single family association and development of the property and to the continued significance of the Guy Fawkes area that the property has regional social significance. Scientifically the grouping has high-level local significance for the potential of the group to reveal much about the operation of a large pastoral property in the outer reaches of Dumaresq settlement in the late 19th century and about the pace of change over the last century.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Unknown
Builder/Maker: Unknown
Construction years: 1885-
Physical description: Victorian Filligree Building Materials: Weatherboard with metal deck and galvanised iron roofing. New aluminium windows and new columns. Brick chimneys.
Further information: Surrounded by original conifers. The original building was made of brick. New front fence and driveway.

History

Historical notes: Just over forty years after the Guy Fawkes River was named by the district's first settler, Major Edward Parke, closer settlement brought with it public facilities to the area. In 1884 Alfred Clements opened a Wine Shanty on the bank of Kangaroo Creek. In the following year Clements built the Grosvenor Hotel a short distance away, which remained there until it burnt down in 1910. A store was added by publican Henry Purkiss in 1890. It became the bank in 1908. The post office opened in 1891 and a telephone added in 1892. "Kotupna" was selected by J. D. Turnbull who came to Guy Fawkes from Victoria. His great grandson now runs the property.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
REGIONAL
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanLEP 2012I19608 Nov 12   
Heritage study GUYF/R005   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Dumaresq Heritage Study1997GUYF/R005EJEEJE No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written  "Guy Fawkes on the Snowy Range", Bruce Cady, November 1984.

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1010510


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.