House | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

House

Item details

Name of item: House
Other name/s: Residence, Glenalva
Type of item: Built
Primary address: 38 Dalhousie Street, Haberfield, NSW 2045
Local govt. area: Inner West
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
38 Dalhousie StreetHaberfieldInner West  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

A handsome, large residence which is an exemplar of the Queen Anne style of architecture in an ample garden setting.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: This ample house is a single-storeyed structure of tuckpointed face brickwork, with a hip and gable slate roof that has terra cotta hips, crenellated ridges and ridge terminals. The main roof form has louvred gablet ventilators and shingle infills. The tall brick chimneys have rendered caps, terra cotta pots and roughcast panels. There is a handsome wide arch, with label course. over the main front window. There are two verandahs, with encaustic tiled floors, turned baluster friezes and timber posts. The spacious garden includes dense mature planting and several trees. There is a driveway of concrete strips. The front fence is brick with curved bays and wrought iron panels, and an iron front gate gives access to a curved tiled path leading to the side entrance verandah.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
As observed from the street : Intact
Modifications and dates:
Further information: (1) Information from Ashfield rate books, the Valuer-General s records in Ashfield Council Archives and from Sands Directories.

Current use: Residential

History

Historical notes: The site on which this house was to be built was owned in 1908 by Mrs Hannah Buckingham, of Petersham. It was she who commissioned its erection; its first occupant, George Richard, was recorded in Sands Directory in 1909, when it was called "Glenalva". In 1913 Mrs Buckingham's daughter, Mrs Edith Richards, inherited the property. She owned it until 1926, when it was sold to Charles Winkworth, piano importer. In 1961, still owned by Winkworth, the property was listed as a garage and two flats.(1)

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanAshfield Local Environmental Plan 201343523 Dec 13   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ashfield Heritage Study Review200140918Bob Irving  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1020304


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.