House | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

House

Item details

Name of item: House
Other name/s: Residence, Derrylin
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 16 Deakin Ave, Haberfield, NSW 2045
Local govt. area: Inner West
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
16 Deakin AveHaberfieldInner West  Primary Address
Dalhousie StreetHaberfieldInner West  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

A substantial and elegant house on a large corner site and whose design is attributed to Stanton & Sons architect D Wormal. It has been maintained in excellent condition, characterising the style and detailing of the ideal Haberfield house. The property remained in the ownership of the Gillies family for more than 57 years. Well-designed and appropriate additions of carport and pool enhance the beauty and amenity of the property.
Date significance updated: 06 Nov 17
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: This substantial and handsome house, a characteristic example of the Federation Queen Anne style of architecture, is probably the work of Richard StantonÕs architect D Wormal. A corner residence, it is single-storeyed and built of tuckpointed cavity face brickwork in red-brown with brown bands. It has a slate roof with terra cotta trim including gable apex terminals. The roughcast chimneys have brick tops and terra cotta pots. The roof has a main hipped form from which several gabled wings project, two of them towards Deakin Avenue and one towards Dalhousie Street. They feature wide, bracketted gables with bullseye vents; the main one facing Deakin Avenue has a facetted bay window with a hooded window and another has a shingled tympanum. The windows generally have three-ring arches and double-hung sashes. The two verandahs have roofs continuing the main roof slopes at a slightly lower pitch, and have encaustic tiled floors with marble edges and elegantly bracketted timber posts. The fences are curvilinear-topped panels of posts and pickets with handsome gates to Deakin Avenue. Dense hedges along both street frontages give privacy to the dense garden and there is mature planting. Paths and driveway are concrete. A large recent carport has been appropriately added and has a slate-roof link to the south-east side of the house. A swimming pool has also been added and is separated by a safety fence beyond the drive, matching the frontage fences.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
As observed from the street : Intact
Modifications and dates: Additions of carport and pool.
Further information: (1) The Haberfield Estate booklet is undated but was published in about 1904. A copy is in the National Library of Australia. Note the spelling of the architect s name Ñ not Wormald as is usually stated. In respect of the architect, note that the architect John Spencer-Stansfield claimed (see Who s Who in Australia, 1929) that he designed more than a thousand houses in Haberfield. (2) Information about ownership comes from the Council rate books, and about valuations from the Valuer-General s records in the Archives of Ashfield Council. Details of occupation are found in the annual editions of Sands Directories.

Current use: Residential

History

Historical notes: This land, part of the Dobroyde Estate, was held originally by David Ramsay. Richard Stanton purchased it and it became Haberfield No 1 Subdivision. This particular large site was re-subdivided and James Gillies, civil servant, bought it in 1904. He had this house erected in 1908 and called it "derrylin". It is reasonable to assume that it was designed by Stanton's architect D Wormal, because Stanton stated, in the Stanton & Son booklet Haberfield Estate, that The cottages are all from designs by Mr D Wormal, an architect of repute, with English and Continental experience. (1) James Gillies owned the house until 1922, when it passed by inheritance to the Misses Teresa and Rose Gillies. It was occupied by Miss R Gillies and, in 1933 also by Mrs G McAuliffe. By 1961 the owners and occupiers of the house were Misses Geraldine McAuliffe and Teresa Gillies. In that year the improved valuation of the property was recorded as £7,250.(2)

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanAshfield Local Environmental Plan 201343823 Dec 13   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ashfield Heritage Study Review200141009Bob Irving  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1020307


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.