House | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

House

Item details

Name of item: House
Other name/s: Dobroyde Grange from 1928, Yaralla 1915
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 37 Dudley Street, Haberfield, NSW 2045
Local govt. area: Inner West
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
37 Dudley StreetHaberfieldInner West  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

A very fine and attractive house exhibiting the Queen Anne style of architecture, very likely an exemplar of the Haymarket Permanent Land, Building and Investment Company s architect. It has been well cared for and was from the beginning and for most of its life in the ownership of the Hayhow family.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: A very fine house, single-storeyed, with brick walls on a sandstone base, and a hipped roof of slate trimmed with terra cotta including decorative ridges and terminals. It was designed in the Queen Anne style of architecture. The characteristic L-shaped front has an impressive octagonal, pyramid-roofed and glazed bay with a mitred slate roof. Between this and the other side of the facade is a verandah, surmounted by a gable having a shingled and panelled tympanum, all supported on paired timber posts with decorative infills and curvilinear tulip-motif brackets. The verandah has brick balustrades with downswept curves infilled with steel balusters, and a glazed end. The windows have casement sashes, leadight glazing and bullnose brick sills. The chimneys are pebble-dashed with brick embellishment and terra cotta pots. The front fence is brick and from the gate a tiled path leads to the verandah steps which have marble treads, tiled risers and pedestal sides. Steel double gates on the left lead to an area of hard standing, and a steel gate on the other side leads to a side path. The garden has a simple layout out and planting.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
As observed from the street : Intact
Modifications and dates:
Further information: (1) The 1912 Ashfield rate book is so badly damaged that the owner s name is illegible. (2) Information about owners and valuations comes from the rate books of Ashfield Council, found in the Council Archives. Occupants are listed year by year in Sands Directories.

Current use: Residential

History

Historical notes: This house is in the Dobroyde Point Subdivision, owned by the Haymarket Permanent Land Building & Investment Company. The original purchaser is not known,(1) but in 1912 the site was vacant. By 1913 the house had been built and was owned and occupied by Alfred Haighow (sic), who in 1915 gave it the name "Yaralla". The Haymarket Company had its own architect and so it is likely that the house was designed by him. Sands Directories list other occupants after 1926, but the property was named "Dobroyde Grange" from 1928. Then in 1940 the owner was listed as "the estate of Alfred Hayhow". In 1961, the property was owned and occupied by Vivian Alfred Hayhow. and in that year the improved valuation was recorded as £6,500.(2)

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanAshfield Local Environmental Plan 201344123 Dec 13   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ashfield Heritage Study Review200141100Bob Irving  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1020310


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.