St. Joseph's Hospital | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

St. Joseph's Hospital

Item details

Name of item: St. Joseph's Hospital
Other name/s: Duncraggan Hall
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Health Services
Category: Hospital
Primary address: Cnr Alice Street and Normanby Road, Auburn, NSW 2144
Parish: Liberty Plains
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Auburn
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Cnr Alice Street and Normanby RoadAuburnAuburnLiberty PlainsCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

St Josephs Hospital (Duncraggan Hall) is of statewide historic, social and aesthetic significance. Historically it is associated with the Buchanan family, local timber merchants in the 1880s who constructed the residence on the former Chisolm lands. In 1892 the Sisters of Charity occupied the building and remain on the site to this day. The Sisters were responsible for the establishment of the hospital on the site.

The building is regionally, aesthetically significant as a fine and intact example of a large Victorian Italianate mansion, well set off by its substantial and attractive garden which contains many fine mature trees.
Date significance updated: 19 Apr 10
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Harry Kent (?) / Leighton Irwin and Co.
Builder/Maker: Graham Evans and Co.
Construction years: 1876-1900
Physical description: External Materials: Rendered brickwork, terra-cotta tiling, cast iron, timber detailing.

Internal Materials: Unseen

Styles: Victorian Italianate

This grand, two storey residence was constructed from cement rendered brickwork in the Victorian Italianate style. It features a large central tower with classical mouldings around the windows and eaves. The first floor level of the tower features a niche, in which the initials of the original owner are inscribed 'JB'. The portico at the tower entrance is flanked by two large urns.

The hipped roof is clad in terra-cotta tiles (replacing the earlier slates). The building could be described as being in two parts. The original residence featured deep verandahs on the northern and eastern facades.The verandahs feature decorative cast iron posts. Ballustrades, brackets and valances. The walls of this section feature floor to ceiling windows and doors, opening directly onto the verandahs.

The extensions to the rear are more simply constructed in rendered brickwork, with hipped rooves but without the verandahs.

The Hall is situated on a high point in the Auburn landscape, with a large landscaped garden and driveway in the foreground. This area has been replanned to accommodate parking and circulation between the various buildings that make up the Hospital.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The hospital is intact and in excellent condition. It appears to be well maintained. There has been a number of modifications and additions to the building, including the lowering of the tower and the extension to the rear. The extensions to the rear are more simply constructed in rendered brickwork, with hipped rooves but without the verandahs.
Date condition updated:04 Apr 11
Current use: Hospital
Former use: Residence

History

Historical notes: Duncraggan Hall was constructed soon after the land was purchased by John Buchanan, a timber merchant, from Fred Chisolm in the 1880's. The name may have been borrowed from the homestead in Scott's 'The Lady of the Lake'.

Due to the depression of the 1890's, John Buchanan sold the residence and its thirteen acres of land to the Sisters of Charity in 1892. Thereafter the Hall became 'St. Josephs Sanitorium for Consumptives'. In 1903 'St Josephs Hospital Two' was constructed on the land and the nuns have since occupied the Duncraggan Hall as their convent.

The tower once featured a mansard roof with dormer windows and a cast iron cresting. It has, however lowered during World War One. A new wing was opened in 1916 with 20 new beds. In 1920 electric light was installed throughout the Hospital. In 1927 a new kitchen was built and hot water was installed throughout the hospital. Another new ward was built and furnished in 1928 as well as 12 additional rooms for nursing staff. A new wing of 56 beds was constructed in 1974.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
St Josephs Hospital (Duncraggan Hall) is of statewide historic, social and aesthetic significance. Historically it is associated with the Buchanan family, local timber merchants in the 1880s who constructed the residence on the former Chisolm lands. In 1892 the Sisters of Charity occupied the building and remain on the site to this day. The Sisters were responsible for the establishment of the hospital on the site.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building is regionally, aesthetically significant as a fine and intact example of a large Victorian Italianate mansion, well set off by its substantial and attractive garden which contains many fine mature trees.

The Hall is situated on a high point in the Auburn landscape, with a large landscaped garden and driveway in the foreground. This area has been replanned to accommodate parking and circulation between the various buildings that make up the Hospital.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The hospital served the community.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The Hall was 'St. Josephs Sanitorium for Consumptives'.
Integrity/Intactness: The hospital is intact and in excellent condition.The extensions to the rear are more simply constructed in rendered brickwork, with hipped rooves but without the verandahs.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

Conserve the building by on-going use or appropriate re-use and maintain the fine garden setting. This building is important. A Conservation Plan should be prepared to guide any future alterations or upgrading.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanAuburn Local Environmental Plan 2010 29 Oct 10 14111409
Heritage studySchwager Brooks and Partners Auburn Heritage Study8-2-4-105   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Auburn Heritage Study19968-2-4-105Schwager Brooks and Partners Pty LtdSchwager Brooks No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 1992Liberty Plains: A History of Auburn N.S.W. Centenary Edition.
WrittenMealing, K.1986The Roof Over Our Heads; A Bicentenary Project of the Auburn District Historical Society

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1030005


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.