House Group | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

House Group

Item details

Name of item: House Group
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Duplex
Primary address: 121, 125, 127 , 129 William Street, Bathurst, NSW 2795
Parish: Bathurst
County: Bathurst
Local govt. area: Bathurst Regional
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
121, 125, 127 , 129 William StreetBathurstBathurst RegionalBathurstBathurstPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

Well designed group of houses including Victorian and Federation period. Architect J.J.Copeman designing two. The group forms an interesting and well detailed group well known in Bathurst. No 121 and 125 are National Trust listed.
Date significance updated: 26 Feb 07
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: John Copeman (125-129 William),
Builder/Maker: unknown
Construction years: 1889-1915
Physical description: A group of interesting and well detailed late Victorian /edwardian houses:

121 William Street
An unusual two storey Victorian freestanding terrace house with a high pitched hipped corrugated iron clad roof and a round bay facing the street. This bay has a two storey verandah which consists of cast iron Corinthian columns, Victorian lace work and freeze and brackets and balustrade. Windows are generally timber framed double hung and a front door at both levels has a fan light above. The walls of the house at the front are rendered in pseudo ashla block but at sides and rear, face brickwork. A feature of the house is wrought iron detailing along the ridge of the roof finishing with metal finials.

125 William Street
A single storey bungalow in face brickwork, Flemish bond with a multi hipped and gabled corrugated iron clad roof. Front gable is centred on the façade facing the street, is highly decorated with ornate panels, timber fretwork, central timber finials and timber brackets. This is supported on half height turned timber posts in turn on masonry wall which is finished with rendered cap. Windows are generally timber framed double hung. The house has an unusual side access. Front fence is a face brick timber wall with a bull nosed cap.

127 William Street
Same description for 129. A two storey face brick terrace house with a high pitched gable ended roof in terracotta tiles which features terracotta decorative cap tiles along the ridge and terracotta finials. The house still has original face brick chimneys finished with terracotta chimney pots. Three gables face the main street which are highly ornamented with roughcast render and cover battens with a deep barge board supported on timber brackets. The central gable has an ovular vent in a rendered surround. The houses were built in 1899. The face brick walls are generally in garden wall Flemish bond with some bands on plain concrete. Windows are timber framed double hung with the upper sashes in multi small coloured lights. Windows are generally timber framed, glass and panelled and at the ground floor with side lights and fan light. A verandah which has a short iron roof has an ornate railing of Victorian lace panels, freeze work and brackets above on the upper floor and timber freeze work on the ground floor. Front fence matches the house with face brick pillars capped with ornate plaster work and between wrought iron spear pointed railings.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Appear generally in good condition.
Date condition updated:30 Apr 07
Current use: Residential premises (street group)
Former use: Residential premises (street group)

History

Historical notes: No 127-129: built 1899-1900 These houses were erected, presumably for rental speculation, for E Webb, MLC, to the design of JJ Copeman, and first occupied respectively by W.M. Bissell and W.M. Thompson. Webb was a prominent early citizen of Bathurst and was three times Mayor. He died on 23 June 1899.

No 123-125 Built 1903: The original owner of this property was Walter McPhillamy and the house was first occupied by James T Gray. The property was sold to Dr Lucy Gullett in 1906. It was later owned and lived in for many years by W F (Bill) Kelly, owner-Manager of the Burlington Theatre.
The house, known as 125 William Street, was built in 1903 for Walter McPhillamy. It was probably built as an income producing investment.

The house was designed by John Job Copeman, a local architect, Mr Copeman practiced in Bathurst from 1890 to about 1914 and some thirty houses designed by him still exist in the City.

Sometime in 1905 the house was bought for Doctor Lucy Gullett who is believed to have been the first female general practitioner in Bathurst.

A picture theatre manager, William Frederick Kelly, bought the house from Doctor Gullett about 1914. Mr Kelly was associated with the Burlington Open Air Theatre in lower William Street, between Howick and Durham Streets, in 1910. Later he was the manager of a closed theatre in William Street between Keppel and Piper Streets. This theatre was also known as the Burlington. It was renovated in the 1930s and became known as the New Burlington and, later, the Tudor Theatre.

In 1950 Mr Kelly sold his interests in Bathurst theatres and retired

No 121 Known as Deebank this house was built in 1889 for Mr. James Walker who probably designed it. Walker was a brewer of Walker & Co Ltd or the Great Western Brewery who had breweries in Bathurst and Orange.Known as ‘Deebank’,

A free standing and virtually symmetrical two-storeyed house of brick and stucco which exhibits characteristics of two Victorian architectural styles, viz Italianate (prominent faceted front, tall architraved openings) and Filigree (cast iron lace decoration). The chimneys are of face brick with stucco cornices. The front fence is an iron palisade with gate piers.


J.J.Copeman
In the Bathurst area, the work of local private architects, such as James Hine, John Copeman and Edward Gell, is well represented. For example St Stanislaus School was designed by Edward Gell with towers added by JJ Copeman in 1907. Copeman also designed the ‘School of Arts Annex' in Bathurst, The school of Arts at The Lagoon, and The School of Arts at Rockley, The Royal Hotel, the Boer War Memorial in Kings Parade, St. Stephen’s church and various houses and commercial buildings and many houses.

127 William Street, was commissioned by Hon. Edmund Webb in 1899. On the 24th of May in that year the architect, John Job Copeman, called for tenders for their erection. They replaced a small house and a two-roomed shop, both owned by Mr Webb.

On June 24, 1899 Mr Webb died at Parkes whilst on a visit to Thomas Tom, his brother-in-law. Nevertheless the Willliam street houses were completed and, then, held in Mr Webb’s estate until July/September 1928. They were bought by George A Fox and G Pilcher for £2300. Mr Fox and Mr Pilcher are described in the transfer documents as investors.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Housing -townsfolk and terraces-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Creative endeavour-Activities associated with the production and performance of literary, artistic, architectural and other imaginative, interpretive or inventive works; and/or associated with the production and expression of cultural phenomena; and/or environments that have inspired such creative activities. Architect - J. J. Copeman-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Houses from 1889 to 1903.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Well designed group of houses including Victorian and Federation period. Architect J.J.Copeman designing two.
Integrity/Intactness: Generally appear very intact
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanHouse group7619 Nov 14   
Within a conservation area on an LEPBathurst Conservation Area 19 Nov 14   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Bathurst City Council Heritage Study1990A690, A691, A692, A693Hughes Trueman LudlowHughes Trueman Ludlow No
BRC City Conservation Area Heritage Review2006 Hickson in assoc with BRCB.J. Hickson Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenKnox, Tanner and Irving1994Main Street Study

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1080319


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.