Ln001 : Lyttleton Shop and Residence | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Ln001 : Lyttleton Shop and Residence

Item details

Name of item: Ln001 : Lyttleton Shop and Residence
Other name/s: Store: Geggie's; Cheap Cash; Fairfax; Riordans; Badgery's Attic
Primary address: 1-2 Badgery Crescent, Lawson, NSW 2783
Local govt. area: Blue Mountains
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
1-2 Badgery CrescentLawsonBlue Mountains   Primary Address
San Jose AvenueLawsonBlue Mountains   Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

Lyttleton is a rare surviving example of a late Victorian cottage with an attached shop. It is associated with the Geggie family, highly significant in the economic development of Lawson for half a century after the 1880s. It is also associated with W.G. Staple, who started his long career as a highly competitive storekeeper in Lawson in these premises. The store is significant also because of its continuity as a shop for over a century. The shop retains its early shopfronts with their recessed entries and the continued development of the site with a third shopfront to the east.
The shop is in a prominent position at the entry to the north side of Lawson which has made the site a local landmark for over 100 years.
Lyttleton is a key building in the San Jose/Badgerys Crescent Precinct which clearly shows the development of the early village centre of Lawson.
Date significance updated: 23 Dec 99
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1884-1884
Physical description: A hipped roofed 3 bay residence facing west to San Jose Avenue joined to a double shopfront facing Badgerys Crescent. An additional brick shopfront with a central entry is at east the end of the main shop building.

Cottage
The cottage is hipped roofed with a skillion verandah facing west to San Jose Avenue, returning along the south side to connect the house to the shop.
The cottage has a corrugated steel roof with boxed eaves and corbelled brick chimneys with glazed pots
A pair of french doors with margin glazing and toplights are located either side of the front door
2 over 2 pane double hung windows to north wall

Main Shop:
The main shop is a gabled building on an east-west axis facing south to Badgerys Crescent with a parapeted shopfront aligned with Badgerys Crescent (skewed to the main building). A skillion verandah is in front of parapet.
The building has brick walls to the sides and rear and a glazed shopfront.
The fibro parapet has a curved top divided into in 3 bays over a double shopfront with central entry recess to each front.
Corrugated roof and central brick chimney with glazed pot
Stop chamfered verandah columns and beams

East shop
Face brick gabled building with central opening
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Reasonable
Date condition updated:01 Dec 99
Modifications and dates: House:
Air conditioner in toplight of front door
Front door replaced
Gabled corrugated asbestos roof.
Concrete verandah
South verandah infilled
Openings in south wall to south verandah
Rear skillion

Shop:
Verandah largely reconstructed

East shop
Entry doors
Current use: Antique shop; Residence
Former use: Shop; Residence

History

Historical notes: The first store in north Lawson was built before 1879 on the portion where Clareville, 19 San Jose Avenue, was built in 1881 (L3/21; RTA 3-2277). In c.1884 John Geggie and his wife built a new store with a cottage attached on the corner of Badgerys Crescent and San Jose Avenue: Mrs Geggie became postmistress there in 1885 (Bentley 36, 67). John Geggie was a founding member of the Progress Association in Lawson in 1893 and became a prominent estate agent with, he claimed, ‘the largest list of furnished cottages to let and for sale’. By 1905 W.G. Staple had taken over the Badgerys Crescent premises as his Cheap Cash Stores, but he moved across the railway in 1907. By 1910 2 Badgerys Crescent had become the Fairfax Store and later Riordan’s. (Mollenhauer) In 1920 the house and store were occupied by Hannah Hollingsworth (Low, map). Since the 1970s the store has become an antique shop and is currently (1999) operating as Badgerys Attic, run by Mr and Mrs Dietersbauer.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Lyttleton is a rare surviving example of a late Victorian cottage with an attached shop. It is associated with the Geggie family, highly significant in the economic development of Lawson for half a century after the 1880s. It is also associated with W.G. Staple, who started his long career as a highly competitive storekeeper in Lawson in these premises. The store is significant also because of its continuity as a shop for over a century.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Lyttleton is a rare surviving example of a late Victorian cottage with an attached shop. The shop retains its early shopfronts with their recessed entries and the continued development of the site with a third shopfront to the east.
The shop is in a prominent position at the entry to the north side of Lawson which has made the site a local landmark for over 100 years.
Lyttleton is a key building in the San Jose/Badgerys Crescent Precinct which clearly shows the development of the early village centre of Lawson.
Integrity/Intactness: Medium - unsympathetic to house, sympathetic to shops
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanLEP2005LN00107 Oct 05 122 
Heritage study LN001   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Blue Mountains Heritage Study1983LN001Croft & Associates Pty Ltd & Meredith Walker  Yes
Heritage Study Review, Blue Mountains1992LN001Tropman and TropmanRIJ & PH Yes
Blue Mountains Heritage Register Review1999LN001Jack, R. I. for University of SydneyRIJ & PH Yes
Technical Audit BM Heritage Register2008LN001Blue Mountains City CouncilCity Planning Branch No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Map 1920Map of Lawson
Map 1890Subdivision Plan of Lawson c.
Map 1879Subdivision Plan of Lawson, c.
Map 1879Map of Lawson c.
WrittenBentley, S. J.1986Christmas Swamp: A history of Lawson
WrittenMollenhauer, Heather1996History of Lawson

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1170117


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.