Mv007 : St Peter's Anglican Church | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Mv007 : St Peter's Anglican Church

Item details

Name of item: Mv007 : St Peter's Anglican Church
Primary address: 79 Great Western Highway, Mount Victoria, NSW 2786
Local govt. area: Blue Mountains
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
79 Great Western HighwayMount VictoriaBlue Mountains   Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Although never an independent parish church, St Peter’s has the distinction of being the earliest Christian church in the City of the Blue Mountains. The church has had social significance to the Anglican community in the area for a century and a quarter.

St Peter's Church of England is a good example of a Victorian rustic gothic style church. Unlike many of the early churches in the Blue Mountains which were built of timber, the church is a solid sandstone building. Its simple form enhanced by the use of rockfaced sandstone set in lawn surrounds give a quiet, rural character to the site
Date significance updated: 23 Dec 99
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: David Macbeath
Builder/Maker: Alexander Armstrong
Construction years: 1874-1875
Physical description: St Peter's Church is 4 bay gabled church building in the Victorian rustic gothic style. The gable lies on an east-west axis with a gabled porch at the west end of north side and a gabled chancel at the east end
The roof is of corrugated colorbond steel (replacing or covering the original timber shingles) with wrought iron finials
The walls are random coursed rockfaced stone walls, draughted at openings.
3 sash pointed arch steel leadlight windows with central pivot sashes mark the bays.
A pair of pointed arch windows is at the west end and a large pair of pointed arch windows is at the chancel end
The porch has a pointed arch opening leading to a pair of pointed arched, diagonal boarded doors

Mature cupressus macrocarpa on west boundary
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:23 Dec 99
Modifications and dates: Colorbond roof c.1990s
Bargeboards and fascias replaced c.1990s
Eaves lined
Skillion addition to south east corner
Gabled brick hall at rear c. 1990s (using windows salvaged from St Aidan's Church hall, Blackheath
Stone fence and gateposts 1952
Current use: Church
Former use: Church

History

Historical notes: St Peter’s Anglican church was built in 1874-5 on land donated to the church by Henry Bell. The foundation stone was laid by Bishop Barker on 18 September 1874 and the church was completed in 1875, the earliest church built in the Upper Mountains. The architect was David Macbeath, the contractor Alexander Armstrong. Its original affiliation was to St John’s Anglican church at Hartley, opened in 1859. The development of Blackheath and St Aidan’s church there in the twentieth century led in 1965 to the incorporation of both Mount Victoria and Hartley into Blackheath parish.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Religion-Activities associated with particular systems of faith and worship (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]

Although never an independent parish church, St Peter’s has the distinction of being the earliest Christian church in the City of the Blue Mountains.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
St Peter's Church of England is a good example of a Victorian rustic gothic style church. Unlike many of the early churches in the Blue Mountains which were built of timber, the church is a solid sandstone building. Its simple form enhanced by the use of rockfaced sandstone set in lawn surrounds give a quiet, rural character to the site
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The church has had social significance to the Anglican community in the area for a century and a quarter.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanLEP2005MV00707 Oct 05 122 
Heritage study MV007   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Blue Mountains Heritage Study1983MV007Croft & Associates Pty Ltd & Meredith Walker  Yes
Heritage Study Review, Blue Mountains1992MV007Tropman and Tropman  Yes
Blue Mountains Heritage Register Review1999MV007Jack, R. I. for University of SydneyRIJ & PH Yes
Technical Audit BM Heritage Register2008MV007Blue Mountains City CouncilCity Planning Branch No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written  History of St. Aidan's Anglican Church, Blackheath

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1170207


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.