H009 : Selwood House and Grounds | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

H009 : Selwood House and Grounds

Item details

Name of item: H009 : Selwood House and Grounds
Primary address: 41 Railway Parade, Hazelbrook, NSW 2779
Local govt. area: Blue Mountains
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
41 Railway ParadeHazelbrookBlue Mountains   Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Criterion (a): Historic
Selwood has high local significance as the earliest house to survive from the initial sub-division of Hazelbrook House land: Hazelbrook House has been demolished and the residences to the west along Railway Parade are rather later in date than Selwood. It has had a series of interesting owners, including the doctor and a private-school owner who contributed to the local community significantly.

Criterion (c): Aesthetic
Selwood is of high local significance as a surviving and substantially intact Victorian house in the heart of Hazelbrook. Set near the top of the hill on the southern side of the railway it is an important element in the townscape.

Criterion (f): Rare
Selwood is a rare example of an intact Victorian cottage in the Blue Mountains.
Date significance updated: 03 Jun 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1889-1892
Physical description: Selwood is a single storey late Victorian house located near the top of the hill on the south side of the railway at Hazelbrook. The front part of the house is two rooms deep and has a hipped roof of corrugated steel with a bullnosed verandah on the north (front) elevation. To the rear of the front wing is a broad skillion, then a low pitched gabled wing, the same width as the house. Behind the low pitched gabled section is a infilled skillion verandah which returns at the west end to form a rear service wing. In the rear yard is an early gabled shed built with brick and corrugated steel.The house is built of brick. The verandah has cast iron columns and a lace valance. The chimney has dentils formed with diagonally laid bricks.The front door is four panelled with arched top panels, a sidelight and toplight. The original doorbell survives in the side panels.Pressed metal ceilings survive in the front hall and northwest room .More research is needed to determine the dates for the various wings of this house.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:03 Jun 02
Current use: Shop
Former use: Residence; Doctor's Surgery; Art Gallery

History

Historical notes: The road on the south side of the railway, now known as Railway Parade, was the earliest part of Hazelbrook to be developed. The focal point was Hazelbrook House, built by Edward Higgs between 1879 and 1881 on an eminent site, now 43-44 Railway Parade. (Hazelbrook Heritage, 51) The first railway platform was not installed until 1884 and took its name from Higgs' large house. (Hazelbrook Heritage, 41)

Hazelbrook House changed hands in 1882, to Charles Woodford, and in 1886 to William Fowler and William Crane, who sub-divided some of the land in 1888. Allotment 4 of this subdivision was purchased as undeveloped land in January 1889 by a wine merchant, Thomas Thompson, who built Selwood sometime between 1889 and 1892. The blacksmith's shop and stabling were probably also constructed by Thompson. (Hazelbrook Heritage, 52)

After Thompson, Selwood was owned by the local doctor, who used it as his surgery as well as residence and occasionally as a private nursing-home. From before 1907 until her death in the mid-1930s, the owner was an absentee Summer Hill lady, Mrs Prudence Denham, and her executors continued to own the property until at least 1946, when the Rate Books cease to be available. (Rate Books) Later owners include a school-teacher who opened Addington Manor (15 Addington Road, H 004) as a private school and Captain Fredericksen, who is said to have brought exotic trees and shrubs, including hazelnuts, from his travels in command of a merchant ship.

From 1961 to 1983 Selwood was occupied by Mary O'Leary and her five children. The orchard at the rear contained apple, pear, lemon and plum trees by this period. Mrs O'Leary successfully fought off efforts to have the house demolished to provide more car-parking for train commuters. Selwood then became an antique gallery under the Percys and an art gallery under the Colliers and, after 1987, the Stevensons. The Colliers did substantial restoration work in 1984-5. (Blue Mountains Gazette, 9 January 1985; 4 January 1989)

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services (none)-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Health-Activities associated with preparing and providing medical assistance and/or promoting or maintaining the well being of humans (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Selwood has high local significance as the earliest house to survive from the initial sub-division of Hazelbrook House land: Hazelbrook House has been demolished and the residences to the west along Railway Parade are rather later in date than Selwood. It has had a series of interesting owners, including the doctor and a private-school owner who contributed to the local community significantly.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Selwood is of high local significance as a surviving and substantially intact Victorian house in the heart of Hazelbrook. Set near the top of the hill on the southern side of the railway it is an important element in the townscape.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Selwood is a rare example of an intact Victorian cottage in the Blue Mountains.
Integrity/Intactness: High
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanLEP2005H00907 Oct 05 122 
Heritage study H009   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Blue Mountains Heritage Study1983H009Croft & Associates Pty Ltd & Meredith Walker  Yes
Heritage Study Review, Blue Mountains1992H009Tropman and Tropman  Yes
Springwood, Blaxland, Hazelbrook HA2002H009Jack, Hubert, Lavelle, MorrisRIJ; PH Yes
Technical Audit BM Heritage Register2008H009Blue Mountains City CouncilCity Planning Branch No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 1989Blue Mountains Gazette, 4 January
Written 1985Blue Mountains Gazette, 9 January
Written 1946Blue Mountains Shire Council Rate Books, 1907-
WrittenMary Campbell, et al1989Hazelbrook Heritage, A Social History of Hazelbrook and Woodford

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1170548


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.