Bh095 : Glenella | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Bh095 : Glenella

Item details

Name of item: Bh095 : Glenella
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Commercial
Category: Boarding/ Guest House
Primary address: 56-60 Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath, NSW 2785
Parish: Blackheath
County: Cook
Local govt. area: Blue Mountains
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
56-60 Govetts Leap RoadBlackheathBlue Mountains BlackheathCookPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

"Glenella" has strong associations with the locally prominent Phillips family, who built it and then managed the building as a guest house for many years. It has been an important focus of tourist activity in Blackheath for much of the twentieth century and its name has continued to be a drawcard into recent times. The building is also a significant part of the group of buildings at 40 to 68 Govetts Leap Road, and has in particular important visual links to "Oakdene" (No. 52 Govetts Leap Road). Architecturally it is a representative and relatively intact Federation era dwelling.
Date significance updated: 12 Apr 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: George Phillips
Construction years: 1905-
Physical description: "Glenella" is a large, predominantly single storey building that demonstrates some of the characteristics of the Federation Queen Anne style. The building has a hipped roof, apart from the wing that projects from the western end of its front, which has a gabled roof. The roof is covered with corrugated iron and walls are lined with rusticated timber weatherboards. A verandah with a bullnosed corrugated iron roof painted in contrasting bands of colour runs across the full length of the southern side of the building. The verandah roof is supported off turned timber posts, and has a turned timber valance running beneath the beanm supporting the roof. Window joinery is of timber.
Modifications and dates: The canopy over the front gate replaces or is a modification of an earlier pergola. Timber verandah brackets have been removed.
Current use: Guest house
Former use: Residence, guest house

History

Historical notes: The land that comprises the site of "Glenella" is formed out of three allotments of the second section of the subdivision of Andrew Gardiner's early land grant, identified as Lots 6, 7 and 8. The three allotments were all acquired by George Phillips, although not at the same time.

George Phillips, a South Australian who was a carpenter by trade, moved to Blackheath with his family at the beginning of the twentieth century on account of the delicate health of one of his children. He purchased the first of the three allotments, Lot 6, in May 1905 from Thomas Bloodworth, then the following September mortgaged it to Aaron Cohen of Katoomba. He probably built the house known as "Glenella" at this time. In December 1907 Phillips purchased the block of land to the east, Lot 7, from Joseph Jackson, who had acquired a large number of allotments from Thomas Bloodworth at the end of 1905. In July 1913 Phillips mortgaged his property to Anthony Chamier, then in December 1913 took out another mortgage, this time with Phyllis Chamier (LTO 1608-80 and 1654-173).

The house was extended by 1915 and became a guest house, managed by Mrs Elizabeth Phillips and her five daughters. In 1917 a two storey section was added, thus allowing the establishment to accommodate 60 guests. George Phillips also acqured the block of land to the east of "Glenella", identified as Lot 8. This had been sold by Joseph Jackson to Emilie Louisa Wearne, the wife of Joseph Wearne of Petersham in January 1906. She mortgaged the land to Edward Littley of Sydney in November 1905 and built a small single storey cottage. In March 1916 Mrs Wearne sold it to Albert Henry Crossley, a labourer of Blackheath, who sold it in turn to George Phillips in July 1923. Although the property remained in the possession of the Phillips family for many years, in October 1939 George Phillips transferred its title to Glenella Pty Limited. George Phillips and his wife both died in 1948, but for many years the guesthouse was run by their daughter Leila and then by one of their daughters-in-law, Laurel

In 1973 "Glenella" passed out of the possession of the Phillips family when it was sold. It was purchased by Michael and Monique Manners during the early part of 1980s and at this time its reputation for fine dining was established (Silvey, p.37).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages (none)-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Leisure-Activities associated with recreation and relaxation (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
"Glenella" has strong associations with the locally prominent Phillips family, who built it and then managed the building as a guest house for many years.

"Glenella" was a long establshed guest house, operating from 1915 onwards, and its name has continued to be a drawcard into recent times.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building is a significant part of the group of buildings at 40 to 68 Govetts Leap Road, and has in particular important visual links to "Oakdene" (no 52 Govetts Leap Road) because of their similar scales, configurations and building materials.

The building is representative of a Federation era dwelling, which has retained a relatively large amount of early external fabric.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
"Glenella" has been an important focus of tourist activity in Blackheath since 1915.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanLEP2005BH09507 Oct 05 122 
Local Environmental Plan - LapsedLEP1991BH09527 Dec 91 183 
Heritage study BH095   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Blue Mountains Heritage Study1983BH095Croft & Associates Pty Ltd & Meredith Walker  Yes
Building & other works/relics Blue Mountain Heritage Study Review1992BH095Lester Tropman & Associates  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 1907Certificate of Title, Register Book Volume 1838 Folio 215
Written 1905Certificate of Title, Register Book Volume 1608 Folio 80
Written 1905Certificate of Title, Register Book Volume 1654 Folio 173
Written 1905Certificate of Title, Register Book Volume 1661 Folio 75
WrittenGwen Silvey1996Happy Days
WrittenJohn Yeaman and others1976Historic Blackheath
PhotographWallace Green1946Glenella Guest House

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1172015


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.