Mv057 : Post War Brick Shop Building | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Mv057 : Post War Brick Shop Building

Item details

Name of item: Mv057 : Post War Brick Shop Building
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Retail and Wholesale
Category: Other - Retail & Wholesale
Primary address: 86 Great Western Highway, Mount Victoria, NSW 2786
Parish: Hartley
County: Cook
Local govt. area: Blue Mountains
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
86 Great Western HighwayMount VictoriaBlue Mountains HartleyCookPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

86 Great Western Highway is the only commercial building to have been erected in Mount Victoria during the immediate post World War II era. Its location away from the village centre suggests the influence of motor vehicles on patterns of life at this time. It is also one of the few buildings in the village to show the overt influence of a consciously modernist twentieth century architectural style.
Date significance updated: 01 Feb 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: 86 Great Western Highway is a single storey building with a gabled roof. The southern facade is constructed of face brick, while other parts of the building are constructed onf common brick. The roof is covered with corrugated iron. Part of the building, which extends out from its western side, is clad with fibro. The facade of the building contains a display window consisting of nine square panes and a door at one side with a highlight over which are protected by a cantilevered awning, and a stepped parapet with a simple brick coping and decorative panels of contrasting toned bricks. Windows elsewhere in the buuilding generally consist of timber framed double hung sashes. The section on the western side contains a large timber door on its western side and a pair of timber doors on its southern side.
Former use: Bakery

History

Historical notes: The site of 86 Great Western Highway was owned at one time by Margaret Cooper, the wife of George Hubbard Cooper

In 1887 George Cooper purchased the substantial dwelling erected by John Fairfax in 1876. He modified the house before re-opening it as a guest house. By 1890 Cooper had acquired a liquor license in the name of the Manor House, but changed the name to the Grand Hotel in 1891; the establishment was commonly referred to as Cooper's Grand Hotel. Cooper also established a coach line for the convenience of those guests wishing to visit the Jenolan Caves (Silvey, p.29). After Cooper died in 1917 the hotel was inherited by his widow and one of their daughters.

By 1916 Mrs Cooper owned what were identified as Lots 25 to 28 Deposited Plan 648. Lot 25 and 26 were bounded by Montgomery Street, while Lots 27 and 28 fronted the Great Western Highway, as well as adjoining land bounded by Montgomery and Selsdon Streets. The land facing the Great Western Highway remained undeveloped for some time, although by 1918 a house named "Manor Villa" occupied some of Mrs Cooper's land and during the first half of the 1920s a cottage was built on Montgomery Street. Mrs Cooper died in 1933 or 1934 and the property was inherited by Florence White, who lived in Morningside , a suburb of Brisbane around 1937.

At the end of 1946 or the beginning of 1947 Lots 27 and 28 of the land, those fronting the Great Western Highway, were sold to Leslie Roy Smeaton, who was a master baker from Blackheath. The property was mortgaged in September 1959 toTremain Bros Pty Limited, so that it could have been constructed at some time between 1947 and 1960. In September 1959 the title to the property was also changed, to include Selma Smeaton, then in December 1962 it was changed again, to the name of Blackheath Bakeries Pty Limited (LTO 5639-19).

In 1976 or early 1977 the building became the property of Doreen Wilkie-Thomson of Clovelly (LTO 8419-190).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
86 Great Western Highway is the only commercial building to have been erected in Mount Victoria during the immediate post World War II era. Its location away from the village centre suggests the influence of motor vehicles on patterns of life at this time.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The design of the facade of 86 Great Western Highway shows the lingering influence of the Inter War Art Deco style into the post war era.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
86 Great Western Highway is a rare post World War II commercial building within Mount Victoria.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanLEP2005MV05707 Oct 05 122 
Heritage study MV057   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Technical Audit BM Heritage Register2008MV057Blue Mountains City CouncilCity Planning Branch No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 1962Certificate of Title, Register Book Volume 8419 Folio 190
Written 1947Certificate of Title, Register Book Volume 5639 Folio 19
Written  Council Rate Records
WrittenGwen Silvey1996Happy Days

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1172129


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.