Methodist Ladies College | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Methodist Ladies College

Item details

Name of item: Methodist Ladies College
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Education
Category: School - Private
Primary address: Rowley Street, Burwood, NSW 2134
Parish: Concord
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Burwood
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Rowley StreetBurwoodBurwoodConcordCumberlandPrimary Address
45 Park RoadBurwoodBurwood  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

The Methodist Ladies College is of local significance as a private school, which represents the rapid increase in population of Burwood as a favourable area for fashionable schools in the period around the turn of the twentieth century.
Date significance updated: 27 Dec 01
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1918-1918
Physical description: It appears that Potts Assembly Hall and Gymnasium at Rowley corner Grantham Streets has retained the original form of its brick fence fronting Rowley Street, with iron infill panels and hedge behind. The building is brick with a parapet roof. It features a series of arches to the ground floor and a rendered string course. On the north east side a three storey tower dated 17.8.1918 has a simple brick decoration.
Wade House joins Potts Assembly Hall and Sutton House.
Sutton House in Grantham Street, which houses a science lab and library, features a strong towered entrance and a series of arched windows to the ground floor.
Current use: School

History

Historical notes: In the 1890s Miss S.E. Lester took over a large house, "Kent House", in Park Road for her ladies college that she had previously operated in Concord. This building no longer exists, as it was burnt in a fire in 1977.
In 1885, the Wesleyan Church bought the school and reopened in 1886 as the Wesleyan Ladies' College.
In 1891-1892, Schofield Hall (designed by Harry Kent) was built facing Park Road on the original site of Kent House at corner Rowley Street and Park Road. This building was badly burned in the fire of 1977. The second floor was demolished but the ground floor was restored and is now known as the Chapel. Towers were added five years later. A Tower Wing was added in 1918.
In 1926, the new Potts Assembly Hall and Gymnasium was erected on the corner of Grantham and Rowley Streets.
Sutton House in Grantham Street was built in 1949 to house a science lab and library.
Wade House was built in 1961 and connected Potts Assembly Hall and Sutton House. It replaced a tennis court and it provided a new art room, classrooms, science room and staff room.
In 1966, a modern Primary School building was built on the corner of Rowley and Gordon Streets and it took over the name of Kent House.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Garden Suburbs-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Gentlemens Villas-

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMethodist Ladies' College001921 Jul 89 844570
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Burwood Heritage study19861.41Fox & Associates Architects/Planners Sydney  No
Burwood Heritage Study1989 Unnamed  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenCoupe, S.&R.1986Walk in the Light: MLC School, Burwood-A Centenary History
WrittenDunlop, E.1974Harvest of the Years, The story of Burwood

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1250043


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.