Federation House [Item 198] | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Federation House [Item 198]

Item details

Name of item: Federation House [Item 198]
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 77 Nicholson Street, Strathfield, NSW 2135
Parish: Concord
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Burwood
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
77 Nicholson StreetStrathfieldBurwoodConcordCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

No. 77 Nicholson Street, Strathfield has historic and aesthetic significance as part of the c.1882 ‘Angel Inn Estate’ subdivision. It is a very good intact example of a single storeyed c.1903 Federation Bungalow style house. Despite recent additions the buildings retains most of its original form, character and detailing including a hipped and gabled roof with terracotta tiled ridge cresting and decorative brick chimneys with terracotta pots, asymmetrical front façade, dichromatic brickwork; timber framed casement windows with highlights over, a decorative brick gable end with a round vent, entry verandah with a tiled roof supported on corbelled brick archways. Other details include exposed rafters and timber bracketed eaves. The garden and building make a positive contribution to the Nicholson Street streetscape.
Date significance updated: 21 May 19
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1918-1918
Physical description: ‘Warribeen’ is a single storey c.1903 Federation house with steep pitched terracotta tiled hipped and gabled roof with terracotta tiled ridge cresting and decorative dichromatic brick chimneys with terracotta pots. The front facade is asymmetrical and features dichromatic brickwork; timber framed casement windows with highlights over, a decorative brick gable end with a circular vent. The entry verandah has a separate tiled roof supported on corbelled brick archways. Other details include exposed rafters and timber bracketed eaves.

There is a recent extension including an underground garage towards the rear, single storey addition above the garage, two storey flat roof addition directly behind the house and a single storey addition on the east side.

A wide paved driveway is located on the western side of the property. A high dichromatic brick wall with tall brick piers and timber gates is on the street boundary. There is a medium sized front garden with hedges, lawn, plants trees and paved path.

Modifications
Underground garage including single and two storey rear additions. Paved driveway, path and front garden has been replaced. Front fence has been replaced with high brick wall and timber gates.

History

Historical notes: The area of Strathfield within the Burwood Municipality falls within the land grant to Thomas Rowley in c.1799. Early activities in the area included farming, collection of timber and the development of service industries along Parramatta and Liverpool Roads.

Early settlement of the Strathfield district was by wealthy merchants and businessmen who lived in villa estates, as is similar to the development of Burwood and Croydon generally. Strathfield was considered a highly prestigious area of large houses in expansive grounds. A railway station was constructed in Burwood in c.1855, while Strathfield did not receive its station until the mid 1870’s. The new station led to an expansion of Strathfield.

Santa Sabina College was established at Strathfield in January 1894, following the arrival of a group of Dominican sisters from Ireland who purchased land from wine grower, Harold Lindeman.

In c.1882, thirty-three acres of William Faithful’s original grant, which included Lots 17, 18 and 20 of the Burwood Estate, were in the ownership of Andrew Hardie McCulloch Jr, Francis Edward Rogers, Charles Edward Pilcher, Maria Weedon, John Thomas Ireland and Sydney MacCulloch. They subdivided the land into 113 residential allotments known as the ‘Angel Inn Estate’, which was auctioned by Hardie and Gorman on 4 March 1882. The streets Wonga, Angel, Bralga (noe Nicholson Street) and Emu Streets were created as part of the subdivision.

In September 1882, Thomas James Thompson, manufacturer, purchased Lots 1-7 and Lot 16, Section 1 of the ‘Angel Inn Estate’. He transferred the land to his children George Arthur Thompson, Clara Maud Thompson and Harold Clarke Thompson in c. 1885. In c. 1911 Clara died and her share in the property was inherited by Emily Mabel Thompson, Winifred Throsby and Lionel James Thompson.

No. 77 Nicholson Street, named ‘Warribeen’ first appears in the Sands Directory in c. 1904 and was occupied by S. A. Mills. It is assumed it may have been built in c.1903. John Lavender is recorded in the Sands Directory as the owner of the property and lived there until his death in c.1914. His widow, Helen remained the occupant until c.1920 and it was then purchased and occupied by her son Philip Lavender. The property was transferred to his wife, Margaret in c.1931 and they remained the owners until c.1950.

The property had three owners from c.1950 to 1951 and in c.1960 it was purchased by William Bloomfield, a public servant from Strathfield and his wife Dorothy. Robert and Maureen Hodgeson, pharmacy proprietors, purchased the property in c.1968 and sold it to Rita Chaina-Azar in c.1989. The property was sold in c.2002 to Peter and Melanie Brophy and in c.2004 to the current owners Cecilia Nguyen Minh Thu Fan and Zong de Fan.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Garden Suburbs-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The site and building is of local historical significance as part of the c.1882 ‘Angel Inn Estate’ subdivision and Federation period of development in the local area constructed c.1903.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building is of local aesthetic significance as an example of a single storey c.1903 Federation Bungalow. Despite recent additions the buildings retains most of its original form, character and detailing including a hipped and gabled roof with terracotta tiled ridge cresting and decorative brick chimneys with terracotta pots, an asymmetrical front facade, dichromatic brickwork timber framed casement windows with highlights over, a decorative brick gable end with a circular vent, entry verandah with a tiled roof supported on corbelled brick archways. Other details include exposed rafters and timber bracketed eaves.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The building is a good representative example of a single storey Federation Bungalow style house constructed in c.1903.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

[a] Architectural detailing and decorative elements of the building should be conserved. [b] The form, scale and character of the building, together with its curtilage and streetscape presentation should be maintained. [c] No new openings i.e. windows and doors should be made to the front facade of the building. [d] The front garden setting and side setbacks should be retained.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanBurwood LEP 2012i19809 Nov 12   
Local Environmental PlanFederation House001921 Jul 89 844570
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Burwood Heritage study19862.10Fox & Associates Architects/Planners Sydney  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1250134


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.