Federation House [Item 124] | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Federation House [Item 124]

Item details

Name of item: Federation House [Item 124]
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 16 Wyatt Avenue, Burwood, NSW 2134
Parish: Concord
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Burwood
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
16 Wyatt AvenueBurwoodBurwoodConcordCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

No. 16 Wyatt Avenue, Burwood has local historical significance as part of the c.1902 Wyatt subdivision and Federation period of development in the local area constructed in early c. 1900s. It has aesthetic significance as an excellent intact example of a single storeyed c. 1900’s – 1910’s Federation Bungalow with Queen Anne detailing. The buildings retains its original form, character and detailing including an asymmetrical front facade constructed in dichromatic brickwork, a splayed verandah corner detail with timber posts on a curved brick balustrade, decorative timber brackets and valence and casement windows with coloured glass panels. The house and garden make a positive contribution to the Wyatt Avenue streetscape.
Date significance updated: 30 May 14
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: ‘Guyra’ is a single storey c. 1906 Federation Bungalow with Queen Anne detailing. The terracotta tiled pitched roof has tall rendered chimneys and a broken roof line with gables that extend over the verandah. The front facade is asymmetrical and constructed of dichromatic brickwork. It features a splayed verandah corner detail. The verandah extends across the front and around the corner splay and is supported by square timber posts on a curved brick balustrade. Other details include decorative timber brackets and valence and casement windows with coloured glass panels.

There is a concrete strip driveway on the eastern side of the property with a rear garage. A low brick wall with tall brick piers and a steel palisade fence and gates is on the street boundary. There is a large front garden with lawn and plants.

Modifications
Replacement of the original front fence, addition of timber screens in front of some windows.

History

Historical notes: The first land grants in the Burwood district included those to Thomas Rowley in c.1799 and William Faithful in c.1808. In c.1812, Rowley’s ‘Burwood Farm’ was bought by Alexander Riley, who built the first house in the district, ‘Burwood Villa’ in c.1814.

The early land sales of the Burwood Estate prompted other early landholders however, Burwood remained a roadside village and farming area until the coming of the railway line from Sydney to Parramatta in c.1855. Burwood was one of the original stations on the line. The opening of the Station brought about further subdivision and development of the area, particularly for city businessmen, wealthy merchants and industrialists who constructed substantial homes in the suburb. The Hoskins family were notable builders who decided to subdivide a large estate and create a model suburb with large houses on expansive grounds, gardens and community space. From c.1903 George Hoskins, who lived in Burwood Road, subdivided a nearby 20 acre paddock into 39 allotments around a winding road. By c.1909 he constructed thirty-six dwellings, all individually designed in the new, Federation style for lease to the business gentry. They also constructed a number of terraces in Wyatt Avenue, to accommodate minor servants of Hoskins and his fellow residents.

The site is part of 1000 acres (portion 248) granted to William Faithful in January 1810. lt is not clear if Faithful developed the land in any way, however, it was transferred in the 1830s and reconveyed in c. 1840s and in c.1847 by indenture of release conveyed to William and Joseph Wyatt.' In 1869 just over 30 acres of the land was transferred to Joseph Wyatt who proceeded to sell parts in c. 1870s. By c.1888 his land holding was reduced to just over14 acres. In 1902 the land, the Wyatt Estate, Burwood, was subdivided into 30 residential allotments about Wyatt Avenue. Some lots also addressed Burwood Road. A narrow laneway separated the allotments between each street.

In a transfer dated February 1903, the subject site, Lot 22 and neighbouring site, Lot 23 were purchased by Amelia Lockyer Broughton. Lot 22 was purchased by Frederick Stephen Stone in May 1906. Stone is listed in the Sands, occupying “Guyra”, in 1907.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Garden Suburbs-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The site and building is of local historical significance as part of the c.1902 Wyatt subdivision and Federation period of development in the local area constructed in c. 1900’s – 1910’s.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The site is associated with early local land speculators including the Wyatt brothers.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building is of local aesthetic significance as an excellent intact example of a single storey c. 1900’s – 1910’s Federation Bungalow with Queen Anne detailing. The buildings retains their original form, character and detailing including a broken roof line with gables that extend over the verandah, an asymmetrical front façade constructed of dichromatic brickwork featuring a splayed verandah corner detail with timber posts on a curved brick balustrade. Other details include decorative timber brackets and valence and casement windows with coloured glass panels.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The building is an excellent representative example of a single storey Federation Bungalow style house with Queen Anne detailing that was constructed in c. 1900’s – 1910’s.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

[a] Architectural detailing and decorative elements of the building should be conserved. [b] The form, scale and character of the building, together with its curtilage and streetscape presentation should be maintained. [c] No new openings i.e. windows and doors should be made to the front facade of the building. [d] Any future additions should be generally confined to the rear of the building and should be subordinate to the principal building form. [e] Construction of a more sympathetic front fence is encouraged.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanFederation House001921 Jul 89 844570
Local Environmental PlanBurwood LEP 2012i12409 Nov 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Burwood Heritage study19863.27Fox & Associates Architects/Planners Sydney  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1250264


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.