Federation House [Item 44] | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Federation House [Item 44]

Item details

Name of item: Federation House [Item 44]
Other name/s: Christian Fellowship Centre Hostel
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 16 Clifton Avenue, Burwood, NSW 2134
Parish: Concord
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Burwood
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
16 Clifton AvenueBurwoodBurwoodConcordCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

No. 16 Clifton Avenue, Burwood has historic and aesthetic significance as a very good intact example of a single storeyed c. 1900 -1905 house designed in the Federation Queen Anne style. The building significantly retains its overall scale, form and character including a deep returning verandah with timber floor on the western side of the building, polychrome brick archway, low brick piers with turned timber posts, arched timber valence and balustrade, timber framed casement windows and timber panelled front door with sidelight and highlight windows. Other features include a small attic balcony with slate tiled pyramid roof supported by brick piers and turned timber posts with decorative timber valence. The building and garden make a positive contribution to the streetscape.
Date significance updated: 14 May 14
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: Single storey brick house with steep hipped roof with attics and dormers c. 1900 -1905 Federation Queen Anne style house. The slate tiled hipped roof has terracotta tiled ridge capping, decorative gables with roughcast and timber battened ends and continues at a lower pitch over the front verandah.

The front facade is asymmetrical and constructed of tuck pointed face and coloured brickwork with a deep returning verandah on the western side of the building, three polychrome brick archways, low brick piers with turned timber posts, arched timber valance and balustrade, timber framed casement windows and timber panelled front door with leadlight sidelight and highlight windows. Other features include a small dormer balcony with slate tiled pyramid roof supported by brick piers and turned timber posts with decorative timber valence. It has timber shingle cladding.

There is a brick driveway on the eastern side. A low timber picket fence on a modern brick base with gate is on the front boundary. There is a large front garden with paved brick paths, lawns and plants.

Modifications
Large rear addition and modern double brick garage. Chimneys have been removed.
Modifications and dates: In 1995, a new 1200mm high picket fence with brick base has been erected.

History

Historical notes: The first land grants in the Burwood district included those to Thomas Rowley in 1799 and William Faithful in 1808. In 1812, Rowley’s ‘Burwood Farm’ was bought by Alexander Riley, who built the first house in the district, ‘Burwood Villa’ in 1814.

Early activity in the area included farming activities, collection of timber and the development of service industries along Parramatta and Liverpool Roads. A railway was constructed in 1855 to link Sydney and Parramatta, with Burwood being one of the six stops. It became a passenger service for the wealthy city businessmen who lived in villa estates. A village subdivision was laid out around the railway line in 1854 and the area remained relatively open. Through to the 1880’s, a number of gentleman’s estates were established in and around Burwood.

By 1895 the villa estates had largely been subdivided. Burwood remained an attractive railway suburb of gentlemen’s residences and during the following two decades its character as a garden suburb developed as there was limited industrial development in the area, but there was a variety of service industries as well as some modest homes.

In Australia the Federation Queen Anne architecture exhibits qualities that are similar from English models from which it drew inspiration. Buildings in this style are domestic in scale and use traditional vernacular motifs to achieve informality of planning, massing, fenestration and landscaping

Clifton Avenue is part of the former Clifton Estate which had been subdivided into a series of rectangular lots fronting five streets by the mid 1870’s. No. 16 Clifton Avenue was built in c. 1900 -1905 in the Federation Queen Anne style.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Garden Suburbs-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The site and building are of local historical significance as part of an early subdivision and Federation period of development in the local area constructed in c. 1900 -1905.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The building is of local aesthetic significance as a very good intact example of a single storey c. 1900 -1905 house designed in the Federation Queen Anne style. The building retains its original form, character and detailing including a deep returning verandah with timber floor on the western side of the building, polychrome brick archway, low brick piers with turned timber posts, arched timber valence and balustrade, timber framed casement windows and timber panelled front door with sidelight and highlight windows. Other features include a small attic balcony with slate tiled pyramid roof supported by brick piers and turned timber posts with decorative timber valence.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The building is a very good representative example of a single storey Federation Queen Anne style house that was constructed in c. 1890’s -c1900-1905.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

[a] Architectural detailing and decorative elements of the building should be conserved. [b] The form, scale and character of the building, together with its curtilage and streetscape presentation should be maintained. [c] No new openings i.e. windows and doors should be made to the front facade of the building. [d] Any future additions should be generally confined to the rear of the building and should be subordinate to the principal building form. [e] Architectural details and decorative elements which have been damaged or lost should be repaired and/or reinstated (based on sound evidence/research). [f] The major garden elements should be retained including significant trees or specimen plantings, retaining walls, stairs etc. [g] The garden setting of the front yard and generous side setbacks should be retained.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanFederation House001921 Jul 89 844570
Local Environmental PlanBurwood LEP 2012i4409 Nov 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Burwood Heritage study19863.50Fox & Associates Architects/Planners Sydney  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1250287


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.