Wainoni [Item 136] | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

Wainoni [Item 136]

Item details

Name of item: Wainoni [Item 136]
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 2A Brady Street, Croydon, NSW 2132
Parish: Concord
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Burwood
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
2A Brady StreetCroydonBurwoodConcordCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

No. 2A Brady Street, Croydon has historic and aesthetic significance as a very good intact example of a single storeyed early c.1910 -20s Federation Bungalows. The building retains its original form, character and scale including, terracotta tiled hipped and gabled roof with decorative brick chimneys, asymmetrical façade constructed of face brickwork, a low pitched return verandah supported on sandstone piers with timber posts and beams, sandstone balustrade and tessellated floor tiles, a projecting gabled end has a shingled panel, corbelled brick brackets, timber framed leadlight casement windows timber bracketed hood over. casement windows with decorative glass panels. The building, including the front garden with remnant planting makes a positive contribution to the streetscape.
Date significance updated: 17 Jun 14
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: Single storey c.1910 -20s Federation Bungalow with terracotta tiled hipped and gabled roof with decorative brick chimneys located on the corner of Paisley Road. The front facade is asymmetrical and constructed of face brickwork and features a low pitched return verandah supported on sandstone piers with timber posts and beams, sandstone balustrade and tessellated floor tiles. The projecting gabled end has a shingled panel, corbelled brick brackets, timber framed leadlight casement windows timber bracketed hood over. The front entry door has a metal screen and side window.

There is a concrete path with a stone step up to the front verandah. A timber picket fence runs along the street boundaries. There is a large triangular corner garden with mature trees and plants, including palms and remnants of the original planting scheme.

Modifications
Original fence has been replaced. Metal security door installed.

History

Historical notes: The first land grants in the Croydon area were to Sarah Nelson (1794), James Brackenrig (1794), Thomas Rowley (1799) and Dennis Connor (1796).

The Parramatta Road began as a track linking Sydney to Parramatta. In c.1814, a stagecoach began to run along the road, leading to the emergence of staging posts and inns in the 1820’s. The construction of Liverpool Road in c.1812 opened up land between these major thorough-fares.

Several large villas were built in the northern part of Croydon during the 1860’s including Henry Webb's 'Cicada', Captain Henry Fox’s ‘Evandale’ and Anthony Hordern’s ‘Shubra Hall’. Croydon Station (then named Five Dock) was opened in c.1875 and a village established around it. The area became a semi-rural retreat for business people, and it prompted many landholders to subdivide their estates into smaller allotments.

A model garden suburb was developed from c.1909, known as the Malvern Hill Estate. Subdivision of the Cintra Estate led to the construction of a unique collection of 20 concrete houses from c.1913. By the early 1920s there was a fair amount of land for sale and prices were high, especially in the Malvern Hill area. Small pockets of land were occasionally released, mostly from the demolition of villas and the subdivision of their grounds.

Many of the houses in Croydon were supplied with bricks from three large brick pits in the area. The brick pit located on Webb Street ran between c.1879 and c.930, with another brickworks at Queen Street (near Lang Street) operating from about c.1873 to c.1920. The Burwood Brickworks opened in c.1913 in Cheltenham Road, operating into c. 1970s, with its closure marking the end of brick making in Croydon.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Garden Suburbs-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The site and building is of local historical significance as part of an early subdivision and Federation period of development in the local area constructed in c.1910 -20s.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building is of local aesthetic significance as an excellent intact example of a single storey early c.1910 -20s Federation Bungalow. The building retains its original form, character and scale including, terracotta tiled hipped and gabled roof with decorative brick chimneys, asymmetrical façade constructed of face brickwork, a low pitched return verandah supported on sandstone piers with timber posts and beams, sandstone balustrade and tessellated floor tiles, a projecting gabled end has a shingled panel, corbelled brick brackets, timber framed leadlight casement windows timber bracketed hood over.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
2A Brady Street is a very good representative example of a single storey Federation Bungalow constructed in c.1910 -20s.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

[a] Architectural detailing and decorative elements of the building should be conserved. [b] The form, scale and character of the building, together with its curtilage and streetscape presentation should be maintained. [c] No new openings i.e. windows and doors should be made to the front facade of the building. [d] Any future additions should be generally confined to the rear of the building and should be subordinate to the principal building form. [e] The major garden elements should be retained including significant trees or specimen plantings, retaining walls, stairs etc. [f] The garden setting of the front yard and generous side setbacks should be retained.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanBurwood Local Environmental Plan 2012i13609 Nov 12   
Within a conservation area on an LEPWainoni001921 Jul 89 844570
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Burwood Heritage study19863.61Fox & Associates Architects/Planners Sydney  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1250298


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.