Camelot (Mansion, Gardener's Lodge, Stable, Gardens, Grounds, Trees) | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Camelot (Mansion, Gardener's Lodge, Stable, Gardens, Grounds, Trees)

Item details

Name of item: Camelot (Mansion, Gardener's Lodge, Stable, Gardens, Grounds, Trees)
Other name/s: Kirkham
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Homestead building
Location: Lat: -34 02 43 Long: 150 42 27
Primary address: 151 Kirkham Lane, Kirkham, NSW 2570
Parish: NARELLAN
County: CUMBERLAND
Local govt. area: Camden
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT32 DP785487
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
151 Kirkham LaneKirkhamCamdenNARELLANCUMBERLANDPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

One of the finest country houses with associated buildings designed by J. H. Hunt. Remaining in excellent condition and virtually unaltered. (National Estate Database) Representative of the "gentleman's estate".
Date significance updated: 11 Oct 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: J H Hunt
Physical description: Camelot House:
Fine late Victorian three-storey brick house of romantic deisgn built about 1888. Main house is three storeys with a profusion of bay windows, superb chimneys, balconies and stepped wings, all roofed with a diverse collection of gables, conical and hipped forms all originially shingled. Mansion complemented by a fine series of buildings and structures, such as a smoke house, hen house and large stables. (National Estate Database). It has qualities in common with Phillip Webb's Red House built for Wilham Morris in England c.1859 and the "Stick Style" of the eastern coast of the United States.

Garden and Trees:
The house is somewhat obscured from the roadway by a large late nineteenth century garden with early twenieth century alterations surrounding the house. It consisted of shrubberies, flower garden, drive and vegetable gardens all enclosed within a large olive hedged rectangle. Apart from areas adjacent to the house, the garden was overgrown and infested with privet. Its layout however appeared intact. In late 1895 the garden to the east consisting of remains of lawns the shrubberies of the "Duck Point" and "The Pleasance" were cleared.

Camelot Smokehouse:
A brick beehive shaped smokehouse.

Camelot Avery:
An octagonal avery.

Camelot Gateposts and Gates:
A fine set of elaborate iron gates and gateposts. The entrance gates were originally from Yaralla, Concord before being re-erected at Camelot.

Camelot Gardener's Lodge:
A brick two storey residence which is a "T" shape on the plan with a timber verandah on the two northern corners. The steeply pitched roof has its original diamond pattern shingles. Other destinctive external features are the massive brick chimneys and the timber trussed gable ends.

Camelot Stables:
A fine brick stable with elaborately arched wooden ribbing for the roof framing. The single pitched roof was originally shingled but is now sheeted with corrugated iron and has various gabled forms over the entrances, projecting wing and ridge rooflights. The horse stalls are elaborately detailed.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The building appears to be of good condition. Garbage Zones are to be protected for future exploration for archaeological potential.
Date condition updated:31 Jul 02
Current use: Residential
Former use: Residential

History

Historical notes: This outstanding late nineteenth century romantic house was erected on the site and partly on the foundations of Oxley's Old Kirkham Mill. The house was designed by John Horbury Hunt for Mr James White of Cranbrook, Bellevue Hill a horse owner and grazier, who lived at Kirkham from 1881. The house was built in 1888 and bought in the 1890s by Florence Faithfull Anderson of Goulburn. Since the death of her daughter Clarice, who was a life tenant, the future of the property had been the subject of legal action. Kirkham was renamed Camelot in 1900. In 1985 the matter was resolved and Camelot was sold to Mr J Neale who has subdivided the grounds of the Estate for housing.

Camelot Gardner's Lodge:
This two storey brick residence was first built at the then Kirkham property for the Honourables James White of Cranbrook.

Camelot Stables:
Designed by J Horbury Hunt and erected in c.1888 for the Hon James White, the stables are considered the finest Hunt ever designed.

Assessment of significance

Integrity/Intactness: The building retains good integrity. Further investigation required to determine the level of intactness
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

Conserve and maintain significant fabric and landscape.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan 4803 Sep 12 2636
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Survey and Report 19th Century Buildings and Sites Camden  Proudfoot, Helen  No
Macarthur Region Heritage Study1986 JRC Planning Services  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Management PlanAustralian Heritage Commission National Estate Database

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1280043


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.