Macquarie House | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

Macquarie House

Item details

Name of item: Macquarie House
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 56A Ferguson Road, Camden, NSW 2570
Local govt. area: Camden
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT2 DP311234
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
56A Ferguson RoadCamdenCamden  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

An important large late Vitorian house and grounds with a historically valuable past to Camden. Former uses as a boys' home, and a nightclub/guest house/private hotel during the Second World War.
Date significance updated: 30 Oct 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: Mr G.E. Ardrill
Physical description: Gracious late Victorian two-storey white rendered brick home with rendered chimneys and views back towards Camden. The roof is tiled with a hipped roof over the main section of the house and a projecting gable with a jerkin-head roof and arched timber barge-board above a bay window on the southern side. It has double hung windows with decorative brick dentils under the window sills. There is a corrugated iron skillion roof verandah on the front facade. The house is situated on a large lot with a garden at the front and there are remant buildings located south of the house.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The house and grounds appear generally in good condition.
Date condition updated:30 Oct 02
Current use: Residence
Former use: Boy's Home

History

Historical notes: Macquarie House began in 1889 when "The Society for providing homes for Neglected Children" built the home. This organisation operated from their central office at 403 Sussex Street, Sydney, as a "Special mission to waifs and strays". These words are a direct quote from the 1890 letterhead of the society.

It appears that the local people of Camden always referred to the organisation as "The Boys' Home". It operated for about 50 years, up to World War 2, right on the edge of the town. Upwards of 10 to 15 boys were in the home at any one time.

Camden Historical Society suggests that whatever may have been the situation in the 1890's, by the 1920's and 30's, the boys most probably came from broken homes or from homes where the parent had died and the surviving parent could not cope for one or many reasons.

Macquarie House operated as a Boys House until December 1945 and was sold in 1946. In WWII, the house operated as a night club/ guest house/ private hotel with good weekend accommodation. A late owner of the house was J.M. Ferandey who also converted it into flats and called it the Macquarie Hydro, c. 1955.

Assessment of significance

Integrity/Intactness: Macquarie House retains a reasonable level of integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

Conserve and maintain significant fabric, setting and cultural landscaping.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanCamden LEP 2010I11603 Sep 10   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Camden Significant Trees and Vegetated Landscape Study1993 Landarc Landscape Architects  No
Camden Scenic and Cultural Landscapes Study1998 Lambcon Associates Pty Ltd  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1280110


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.