Crawfordville School (Former) | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Crawfordville School (Former)

Item details

Name of item: Crawfordville School (Former)
Other name/s: Community Hall
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Education
Category: School - State (public)
Primary address: 15-29 Bennett Street, Millfield, NSW 2325
Local govt. area: Cessnock
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
15-29 Bennett StreetMillfieldCessnock  Primary Address
Crawford AvenueMillfieldCessnock  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

A school built to accommodate a rapid increase in the child population as miners migrated into the area from surrounding collieries and from overseas. The 1926-late 1960s history of the school gives it social significance to many older people in the region as evidenced by the 1970s campaign to save it. It also has architectural significance as a typical rural primary school. Special mentions of the grounds refer to old or pre-existing major trees and other vegetation from its period of use as a school.
(Source: Ken Phelan, Cessnock City Council 2004)
Date significance updated: 16 Jul 04
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.
Current use: Playgroup and community hall?

History

Historical notes: Crawfordville Infants’ School was closed at 3.30 p.m., Friday, January 30, 1970.

The school had been established in 1929 to cater for the overflow of pupils from Millfield Public School following the arrival in the area of coal mining families from Wallsend, West Wallsend, East Greta, England, Scotland and Wales.

The men in these families found work at the new collieries of Stanford Merthyr No. 2, Paxton, Millfield, Greta and Maitland Main.

On the first day of school 19 boys and 16 girls were enrolled. The first enrolments were Colin Brennan (10), Roy Broadbent and Cyril Walters (aged 10).

The first three girls enrolled were Isabella Pascoe, Alma Walters and Lena Wilson (their ages were 6, 8, 9).

The enrolment in the first year became so large the authorities had to order that no child from the following year be enrolled above grade 3.

In 1961 the school was re-classified as an infant’s school. The first teacher at the school appears to have been A. Spence. Teachers who followed were Miss E. Hanlon, Miss Coates, Mrs E. Forman, Mrs G. Frost and Mrs Edith Florence Littlewood.

Mrs Littlewood commenced duty in January 1963. Mrs Littlewood was presented on the last afternoon of the school with a gift from the mothers’ club in token of their appreciation of her devotion to the school.

Mrs Littlewood thanked the members of the mothers’ club who had been of extraordinary assistance.

They were very generous over the years and very active.

Mrs. Littlewood had been appointed to Cessnock Infants’ School.

The future of the school building and grounds had yet to be decided.

The school was well equipped with all the latest teachers’ aids such as a tape records, movie projector, an electric oven and all the necessary domestic equipment.

The school is also noted for its beautiful grounds.

The school sign was fetched down from its stand in the grounds and together with the school banner will be preserved in Wollombi Court House Museum.

The parents of the pupils of the school will remember Mrs Littlewood as a fine teacher and a person who had the interests of the community at heart.

However, the citizens of the area are keen that the school building is not lost, they are at present forming themselves into a progress committee and will meet at the school building on February 11, 1970. They hope to plan a Progress Movement for the entire area and to use the school building as their headquarters.

There is a strong possibility that if enough people take an interest in the progress of the area and duly turn up on the night of February 11, the Department of Education and the other relevant authorities concerned with the building may well hand it voer to them.

The request to the Department of Education and other relevant authorities was successful and the school is now being used as a community hall.

(Source: Millfield Public School 125th Anniversary 1868 to 1993)

Recommended management:

Tree and horticultural survey required

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan  23 Dec 11 1140 
Potential Heritage Item     
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
City of Cessnock Heritage Study1994P18Pike, Penelope; Walker, Meredith and Associates  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenMillfield Public School Millfield Public School 125th Anniversary 1868 to 1993

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1340021


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.