Farmhouse - pre-WWI | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Farmhouse - pre-WWI

Item details

Name of item: Farmhouse - pre-WWI
Other name/s: Residence – ‘Edgefern’ including house, garden, dairy and other outbuildings and concrete silo
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Homestead building
Primary address: 927 East Bank Road, Nana Glen, NSW 2450
Local govt. area: Coffs Harbour
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
927 East Bank RoadNana GlenCoffs Harbour   Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Of high local significance as an early surviving, substantially intact timber farmhouse/residence/dairy complex dating from pre-WWI. It demonstrates the history and development of the Coffs Harbour region from the first years of permanent settlement and displays important aspects of pioneer life relating to early farming and the growth of towns and villages. It displays design characteristics typical of its period and belongs to an important group of pioneer buildings within Coffs Harbour that feature local hardwood and late nineteenth-century building skills and craftsmanship.
Date significance updated: 29 Nov 13
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Jarrett family
Builder/Maker: Jarrett family
Construction years: 1913-
Physical description: Architectural style - Federation filigree.

Materials: weatherboard with galvanised corrugated iron roof. Original paling fence and gate. Mature garden and tree plantings. Internal cedar joinery and metal ceilings.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Very good. Well maintained.
Date condition updated:07 Sep 13
Further information: Further detailed research is required.
Current use: Residence

History

Historical notes: The period from c1880s to 1914 was the first major phase of permanent European settlement in Coffs Harbour following the earlier, more transient activities of gold mining and cedar-getting which left few built remains. Cattle grazing, dairying and fruit and vegetable growing centred around small rural communities with transport primarily by sea. Major government projects such as the South Solitary lighthouse, the jetties at Coffs and Woolgoolga, the harbour breakwalls and the North Coast Railway led to Coffs Harbour becoming a busy coastal shipping port with a larger township developing to service these activities with schools, shops, churches and public buildings.

With the development of a heavily capitalised local hardwood timber industry after 1905, Coffs Harbour became relatively prosperous and the population steadily rose.

This period in the history of Coffs Harbour has left behind many important built features that trace the area’s development, from early rural farmhouses, to schools and churches, to larger structures such as the Coffs jetty and breakwalls and potential archaeological relics such as the timber tramlines. Timber was the dominant building material because it was cheap and plentiful.

Often the first generation of buildings in the area, all surviving timber buildings from this period are potentially of very high local significance. Other early and important surviving buildings and remains are pioneer gravesites and cemeteries, early industrial relics and infrastructure works.

Early surviving timber buildings include schools, churches, shops, community halls, public buildings such as police stations and courthouses, farmhouses usually associated with dairies and small cottages within the emerging villages and townships.

Edgefern
The house and associated early farm structures, including the silo, are associated with Thomas Jarrett and the establishment of dairying in the Nana Glen district. The Jarretts were an early pioneering dairy family in the Nana Glen area who originally came from the south coast. The house is a fine lateVictorian/Federation style house and one of the finest in the Coffs Harbour area. It is situated adjacent to a fine stand of hoop pine trees that line East Bank Road.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The period from c1880s to 1914 was the first major phase of permanent European settlement in Coffs Harbour following the earlier, more transient activities of gold mining and cedar-getting which left few built remains. Cattle grazing, dairying and fruit and vegetable growing centred around small rural communities with transport primarily by sea. Major government projects such as the South Solitary lighthouse, the jetties at Coffs and Woolgoolga, the harbour breakwalls and the North Coast Railway led to Coffs Harbour becoming a busy coastal shipping port with a larger township developing to service these activities with schools, shops, churches and public buildings.

With the development of a heavily capitalised local hardwood timber industry after 1905, Coffs Harbour became relatively prosperous and the population steadily rose.

This period in the history of Coffs Harbour has left behind many important built features that trace the area’s development, from early rural farmhouses, to schools and churches, to larger structures such as the Coffs jetty and breakwalls and potential archaeological relics such as the timber tramlines. Timber was the dominant building material because it was cheap and plentiful.

Often the first generation of buildings in the area, all surviving timber buildings from this period are potentially of very high local significance. Other early and important surviving buildings and remains are pioneer gravesites and cemeteries, early industrial relics and infrastructure works.

Early surviving timber buildings include schools, churches, shops, community halls, public buildings such as police stations and courthouses, farmhouses usually associated with dairies and small cottages within the emerging villages and townships.

Historically the building, garden and curtilage are of high historical significance to the region for their direct association with the establishment of settlement and farming in the Nana Glen district and the region at large. The place includes associated early dairy structures shed and outbuildings, including a concrete silo, making it a rare and intact group of early farm/dairy buildings.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
Associated with the Jarrett family, a prominent early dairy farming family in the Nana Glen area.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Of high local significance as an early farmhouse/residence/dairy complex from the time of Coffs Harbour first permanent settlement (c1880s-1914). It displays many characteristic design features of a late nineteenth-century cottage or bungalow:
- constructed entirely of local timber
- a preference for symmetry
- verandah on one or three sides
- short stumps/piers
- timber frame with weatherboard cladding
- timber French doors and double-hung sash windows
- pitched roof clad with corrugated iron
- few or no decorative features that required imported cast iron lace, stained glass, slate etc.

The site also includes early sheds, domestic garden, mature trees and dairy/silo structures and is situated on a rise with views over the surrounding farming landscape. Aesthetically the house is of rare quality in its design and execution/craftsmanship, with intact decorative details.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
Of local significance having potential to reveal information about local timber construction techniques from the period it was built (pre-WWI), especially as they relate to domestic housing.

Of high local significance having potential to reveal information about local timber construction techniques from the period it was built (pre-WWI), especially as they relate to domestic housing. The rarity of this form of early farmhouse and its potential to provide evidence of the lifestyle and relative economic status of the pioneer dairy farmers of the region gives this building high-level scientific significance.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Rare within the Coffs Harbour local government area and of high local significance.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
An excellent representative example of a late nineteenth-early twentieth century farmhouse/residence within the Coffs Harbour local government area and of high local significance.
Integrity/Intactness: High level of integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan I5227 Sep 13   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
CHCC Heritage Study1998 EJE Consulting  Yes
Coffs Harbour Shire Heritage Study1987 Jamison Architects  Yes
Coffs Harbour Heritage Study2013 Robin Hedditch  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenNeil Yeates1990History of Coffs Harbour Vols 1 and 2

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1360546


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.