Sexton’s Hut | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Sexton’s Hut

Item details

Name of item: Sexton’s Hut
Other name/s: Sextons's Hut At Coonamble Cemetery
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Hut/Shack
Location: Lat: S 30º 57.683’ Long: E 148º 22.448’
Primary address: Memorial Drive (Coonamble Cemetery), Coonamble, NSW 2829
Parish: Moorambilla
County: Leichhardt
Local govt. area: Coonamble
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT7018 DP1032587
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Memorial Drive (Coonamble Cemetery)CoonambleCoonambleMoorambillaLeichhardtPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

Coonamble General Cemetery has been the principal burial place for residents of Coonamble and District since 1912. The Sexton’s Hut has been part of the cemetery infrastructure since that year. It is a pleasing example of the Victorian Carpenter Gothic style of architecture applied to a small functional building. The building is a very rare regional example of a Federation era cemetery caretaker’s building and is representative of the development of Coonamble during the 20th century. It has local historical and aesthetic significance, rarity, representativeness, and a high degree of integrity.
Date significance updated: 19 Apr 11
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: Mooy Brothers
Physical description: The Sexton’s Hut, a Federation Gothic Carpenter style building located within the cemetery grounds, is listed separately.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The building appears to be in sound condition.
Date condition updated:19 Apr 11
Modifications and dates: Refurbishment - 1988
Current use: Vacant
Former use: Cemetery Office

History

Historical notes: The first Europeans to venture into the Coonamble district were explorers Oxley and Evans in 1818 and Charles Sturt in 1829. The Koonamble run was established on the Castlereagh River in the 1830s. By 1835 land has been reserved on either side of a large water hole on the river for a township. Town lots were offered for sale at auction in 1861 and soon after numerous stores and hotels were constructed (Hickson 2000:3)

By 1878 the town had a public school, two churches, a hospital and a newspaper, the ‘Coonamble Independent’. A Municipal Council was established in May 1880 and a new brick post office constructed in 1881. Coonamble finally secured a reliable water supply in 1894. The sinking of a major bore provided the impetus for further growth. A School of Arts building was constructed in 1897 and by 1898 the population of Coonamble was 1,000.

Prior to 1903 transport and mail services to Coonamble were provided by horse-drawn coach from Dubbo. On 20 August 1900 construction of a railway branch line from Dubbo was commenced. This line was completed on 18 February 1903. The railway facilitated the growth of agriculture in the region and further growth in the town. The Western Stores constructed a branch building on the corner of Castlereagh and Aberford Streets and Wright Heaton & Co. constructed premises on the corner of Castlereagh and Tooloon Streets. The single storey Tattersall’s Hotel in Castlereagh Street was demolished and ‘an extravagant 2 storey 6 bayed Victorian’ Filigree structure built in its place. (Hickson 2000:3)

By 1906 the population of Coonamble had grown to 6,000 and a building boom was underway by 1908. The Commercial Hotel was rebuilt in 1912. Development was slowed by World War I and some building occurred during the 1920s, including construction of a large Commercial Bank building. On a very hot day on 6 February 1929 a fire broke out beside the School of Arts on the eastern side of Castlereagh Street. It raged out of control down the street until a wind change pushed it onto the western side. After three hours 38 of the town’s buildings had been destroyed. Fortunately most insurance payments were cleared before the Wall Street crash and many buildings were reconstructed. New buildings constructed after 1929 included Eason’s, Coroneo’s, Feehan’s The Bank of New South Wales, the School of Arts, Tattersall’s Hotel and the Plaza Theatre. In compliance with new Council policies commercial buildings were reconstructed in non-combustible materials, including brick, reinforced concrete and steel. (Hickson 2000:4)

The current Coonamble General Cemetery was established in 1912. The Sexton’s Hut was built in the same year by Mooy Brothers. It was constructed to provide shelter for the cemetery cartaker. It was refurbished in 1988-1989 by the Coonamble Rotary Club as a Bicentenary project.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Coonamble General Cemetery has been the principal burial place for residents of Coonamble and District since 1912. The Sexton’s Hut has been part of the cemetery infrastructure since that year and has local historical significance.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The Sexton’s Hut is a pleasing example of the Victorian Carpenter Gothic style of architecture applied to a small functional building. It has local aesthetic significance.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The Sexton’s Hut is a very rare regional example of a Federation era cemetery caretaker’s building.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The building is representative of the development of Coonamble during the 20th century. It has local significance in this regard.
Integrity/Intactness: The Sexton’s Hut has a high degree of integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanCoonamble LEP 2011I723 Sep 11   
Heritage study     

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1430013


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.