St Andrew's Uniting Church | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

St Andrew's Uniting Church

Item details

Name of item: St Andrew's Uniting Church
Other name/s: St Andrew's Presbyterian Church.
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Religion
Category: Church
Location: Lat: 144.960680 Long: -35.533755
Primary address: 348 Poictiers Street, Deniliquin, NSW 2710
Parish: South Deniliquin
County: Townsend
Local govt. area: Deniliquin
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
348 Poictiers StreetDeniliquinDeniliquinSouth DeniliquinTownsendPrimary Address
Corbett StreetDeniliquinDeniliquin  Alternate Address
Poictiers StreetSouth DeniliquinDeniliquinSouth DeniliquinTownsendAlternate Address
Edwardes StreetDeniliquinDeniliquin  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

The Victorian Free Gothic Style Church building is significant as the place of worship for the Presbyterian congregation from 1877 - 1977. In 1977, it became the worship centre for the Uniting Church and is still the Uniting Church worship centre.

The building is significant as the worship centre for the influential families of Scottish decent in the Deniliquin district.

The building is of architectural significance as a highly decorated one-off design for Deniliquin and district.
Date significance updated: 20 May 05
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Architect - Louis Harrison.
Builder/Maker: Unknown
Physical description: The building is constructed of local red bricks with complementary render details to buttresses, label moulds, pinnacles and finials designed in the Victorian Academic Gothic style. The Architect was Mr. Louis Harrison, the Architect for many of Deniliquin’s fine buildings.
The Riverine Advertiser reported on 5th December 1877:
"The Church is the neatest specimen of ecclesiastical architecture in the town. The style is modern Gothic, the front being set off by a number of finials or pinnacles of pressed cement. The building is of brick with slate roof. Exclusive of the Front Entrance Porch and Vestry at the back, the Church is 52ft in length, with a breadth of 25ft, and the height is 15ft to the eaves, and 30ft to the top of the roof. It is lighted by five windows on each side, and a large Gothic window over the Front Entrance Porch. The seats are of neat design, the ends and backs being of cedar, and provide accommodation for about 200 persons. The Church is lighted by three handsome chandeliers, the gift of Mr. Donald Cameron.
The total cost of the Church and fittings is about £1700.
The Church Reserve is enclosed by a substantial fence of sawn pickets, painted white, for which the Presbyterians are indebted to Mr. A. Landale, - J.P, who besides a substantial donation to the building fund, also defrayed the cost of the fence, which amounted to £109."
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good Condition ,
Date condition updated:18 Feb 05
Modifications and dates: 1882 - Church, 1872 - Harmonium, 1975 - New Manse, 1930 - Porch Alterations, 2004 - Extenstive Restorations.

As per Council Records Development plans.
02.07.1951- Sewer, Plan No 657, 20.06.1990 - Demolish Sabbath Hall, 28.07.1993 - Sewer, Plan No 3165.

As per Council Records Building Register 1952 - 1962
28.09.1953 - Garage Presbyterian Church Land (Manse)/ A. Couch, 08.08.1962 - Pergola.

As per Council Records Building Register 1988 - 2003
Lot 9 , Sec 48, DP 504515, Underpinning, repair brick work & Plaster.
22.02.1990 - Demolition of Existing Hall - Lot 1, DP 504515, Sec 48, Edwardes.
22.02.1999 - Toilet Block & Store room - Lot 1,DP758913 Sec 43, 335 Poiticers St.

15.12.1992, New Youth Group Centre built. Architect: Mr. K. Butler, Builder: Mr. Tim Nolan.

Resoration & Alteration Information taken from
Time Line from Booklet - The first hundred years. 1876 - 1976
The old Scotch Church Sabbath School erected 1896
The old Manse Erected 1883 Razed 1975

Front door was moved to the side in 1930.
Porch alterations in 1930, donation by the Landale family in memory of their mother.
As Booklet First Hundred Years.


Roof , roof and severe cracks in plaster on its wall, restored as planned,
reported in PT 10. 4. 1953 Titled: Resoration of ST. Andrews church planned. By Mr. Les Bode
Scaffolding was erected at from of St Andrews Church. to clean and restore decorative trim, by Mr. Stuart Hood.
The New Manse Erected 1975
The Church Hall erected 1963
24.9.2002, pg 7 - Church Restoration - Stage II.
$32,000.00 grant, to underpinning rear wall and buttresses.

Also to repair the Landale Memorial Window, eroded and crack interior & exterior walls, masonry and spires and to damp-proof the building.
Stage I, 1995 Roof, Stage II this article
Further information: NA
Current use: Religious Premises.
Former use: Religious Premises.

History

Historical notes: The Rev. S .Hamilton preached to Presbyterians at 'Whipple’s Inn' in about 1855. The Rev. James Paterson also preached at outlying stations. In September 1863, Rev. Henderson held a meeting at the Court House for the purpose of starting a Church at Deniliquin.
The first Minister appointed, Rev. Peter Mercer, was inducted in December 1863. Many of the pioneers of Deniliquin district were Scotsmen and it was not long before they called for their Church. In the very first issue of the 'Pastoral Times Newspaper' is a list of Highland names,( McLaurin, McGregor, McKenzie, McKellar, Cameron, Sutherland and McMeiking), inviting others to join them in arranging for the pastoral visitation and ordinances of the Presbyterian Church. As a result, itinerant Ministers from the Victorian goldfields made regular visits to Deniliquin for some years during the 1860’s. The Presbyterians had been holding their services in the Masonic Hall.
In 1867, Lots 9, 10 and 11, Section 48 were gazetted for a Church, School and Manse, all these allotments facing Edwardes Street. Progress towards building a Church was very slow. In 1872, Rev. David Shanks was inducted, but a year later he died from consumption at the age of 29. There were then several years without a resident Minister until Rev. F Soutar was inducted in 1876. Tenders for a building had been called three years earlier, but it was not until December 1876 that a tender was let to Mr. Dobbie for the new Church. The building stood vacant until 2 December 1877, when it was opened by Rev. Peter Mercer. It is believed that the Architect of this building was Mr. Louis Harrison, the Architect for many fine buildings erected in Deniliquin at that time.
The Manse was erected beside the Church in 1882. The late Mr. Alexander Landale of 'Wandook', with his family, made many generous donations to the Church. A large donation towards the building fund and a picket fence to go around it. In 1872, Mrs. Landale donated a Harmonium. In 1896, the School building was opened, a gift from Mr. Landale. A new Manse, constructed on the site of the original building, was completed in 1975.
The Stained Glass Window depicting Leonardo da Vinci’s "The Last Supper" is located on the Poictiers Street rear wall of the church. This was a donation by Mrs Landale in memory of her late husband Alexander and son, Douglas, who was killed in action in World War I in 1914. The name of the Artist who copied the painting as a design for the stained glass window is unknown. Brooks Robinson & Co. of Melbourne had sent the Artist abroad to study Da Vinci’s original work. The constructional work was carried out by Deniliquin builders W.W. Moore & Sons, under the supervision of Architect; Mr. Louis Harrison.
Alterations to the porch done in 1930, were also a donation by the Landale family in memory of their mother.

The Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregationalist churches voted in 1977, for a Union of the Denominations under the title of Uniting Church of Australia. ST Andrew’s Church was retained as the Uniting Church, with the former Methodist Church on the opposite corner being sold to the Salvation Army for use as their Citadel.

1969c - Yallambee Activity Therapy Centre commenced on the grounds of ST Andrew's, on 09.11.1974 Yallambee moved to a purpose built building.

15.12.1992, New Youth Group Centre built. Architect: Mr. K. Butler, Builder: Mr. Tim Nolan.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages (none)-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Religion-Activities associated with particular systems of faith and worship (none)-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Social institutions-Activities and organisational arrangements for the provision of social activities (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The Victorian Free Gothic Style Church building is significant as the place of worship for the Presbyterian congregation from 1877 - 1977. In 1977, it became the worship centre for the Uniting Church and is still the Uniting Church worship centre.

The building is significant as the worship centre for the influential families of Scottish decent in the Deniliquin district.

The building is of architectural significance as a highly decorated one-off design for Deniliquin and district.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The building is significant as the worship centre for the influential families of Scottish decent in the Deniliquin district.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building is of architectural significance as a highly decorated one-off design for Deniliquin and district.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The building is significant as the worship centre for the influential families of Scottish decent in the Deniliquin district.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
Refer to NSW Heritage Office records
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
One-off design. Refer to NSW Heritage Office records
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
NA
Integrity/Intactness: Good
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanDeniliquin LEP 2013I3123 Dec 13   
Heritage study     

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff - Churches and Religion in Deniliquin2002PT Titled: 24. 9. 2002 pg 7 - Church Restoration - Stage II.
Written Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff - Churches and Religion in Deniliquin19895. 9. 1989 - Church repairs are underway as PT.
Written Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff - Churches and Religion in Deniliquin1989P.T - 5. 9. 1989 - Church repairs are underway,
Written Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff - Churches and Religion in Deniliquin1985Looking Back with Jack : A new Church for Deniliquin as of 9. 2. 1867.
Written Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff - Churches and Religion in Deniliquin1984Titled: Opening of the New Presbyterian Church. Independent: 19.12. 1984
Written Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff - Churches and Religion in Deniliquin1953PT 10. 4. 1953 Titled: Resoration of ST. Andrews church planned. By Mr. Les Bode.
WrittenBack to Deniliquin Centenary Celebration’s Committee1948Back to Deniliquin Centenary Celebration’s Souvenir Booklet
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff200330.5. 2003 - Church Restoration underway.
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff200224. 9. 2002 - Church Restoration
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff20025. 2. 2002 - Presbyterian Services resume in Deniliquin
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff199520.10. 1995 - Facelift for Uniting Church
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff19953. 11. 1995 Church Raising funds for roof
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff1993PT 16.7. 1993 - Lost Heritage - mailbag Sabbath Hall
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff1992Uniting Church Hall(Youth Group Hall). 15. 12. 1992 -Architect - Mr. Keith Butler / Builder - Mr. Tim Nolan
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff1992Deniliquin Standard Newspaper 9.12.1992 Sabbath Hall
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff1990PT 12. 4. 1990 - Church hall to be Razed? Sabbath Hall
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff19895. 9. 1989 - Church repairs are underway. uin Library LH 246.9 CHU 5. 9. 1989 - Church repairs are underway.
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff198311. 5. 1983 - ST Andrews tells a story of Pioneers
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff198319.4.1983 - Church Seeks clarification on Act Order.
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff197813. 6. 1978 - NSW moderator of the Uniting Church. 13. 6. 1978 –-NSW moderator of the Uniting Church.
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff197726. 4. 1977 - Uniting Church holds service in theatre
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff197724. 6. 1977 - All the same flock now
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff197726. 4. 1977 -Uniting Church holds service in Theater
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff19758.4.1975 - Wreckers move in on the old manse
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff19708.12. 1970 - Church on National trust register 8.12. 19170 – Church on National trust register
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff19632. 7. 1963 - Moderator General opens new Church Hall
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff1960Presbyterian Parish of Deniliquin Call to Stewardship Man - June 1960
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff195827. 6.1958 - Presbyterian’s 99th year
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff19582.6.1961 - Church proposes to build 25. 7. 1958 - Rev. Seal to Leave soon
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff195825. 7. 1958 - Rev. Seal to Leave soon
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff195310 .4. 1953 - Restoration of St Andrews Church Planned
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff1953P.T- 11. 9.1953 - Church honours the memory of Frank Grayhurst General Public
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff1876Pastoral Times:29. 1. 1876 - Tenders wanted:
WrittenChurches and Religion in Deniliquin Compiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff0The First Hundred Years 1876 > 1976 / The Story of ST. Andrews’ Church Deniliquin.
WrittenCompiled by the Deniliquin Library Staff -0Churches and Religion in Deniliquin - Folder
WrittenLaurel Clyde1979In a Strange Land - A History of The Anglican Diocese of Riverina
WrittenMr. Ken Young2004 Heritage Advisor for Deniliquin Council.
WrittenPastoral Times Newspaper1876PT. 29. 1. 1876 - Tenders were called for.
WrittenPastoral Times Newspaper - Churches and Religion in Deniliquin1975PT.8.4. 1975- Wreckers move in on Manse after 88 yrs.

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1500068
File number: S90/01184 & HC 32980


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.