Barncleuth and Grounds | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Barncleuth and Grounds

Item details

Name of item: Barncleuth and Grounds
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 17 The Crescent, Pennant Hills, NSW 2120
Local govt. area: Hornsby
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
17 The CrescentPennant HillsHornsby  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Highly unusual Federation period two storey house. Considerably altered but remains unique in the area. The work of innovative architect George Sydney Jones for whom 'Barncleuth' was built in 1910.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: GS Jones
Builder/Maker: W Brown
Physical description: Highly unusual Federation period two storey house. All rectangular form. 2-3 storeys high. Three prominent elevations all different. Parapet roof with decks. Patterned face brick walls partly rendered. Complex form incorporates bays porches and balconies. Decorative tiles of special note. Unusual raised terracotta tiled gabled roof over stairs.

History

Historical notes: 'Barncleuth' was formerly the home of the notable architect George Sydney Jones (1865-1927). Jones gained a Master of Arts at London University and then studied architecture before returning to Australia in 1891. He was the son of a Sydney physician Sir Phillip Sydney Jones and suffered from ill-health. His works reflect a concern with the health-giving properties of light and air. He designed the Women's and Scottish Hospitals at Paddington and Sanatoria at Victoria Falls and Boddington. He worked on several innovative domestic designs in Strathfield and designed 'Barncleuth' 'Regenbah' and 'Lorne' all in Pennant Hills. Jones and his family moved to the healthier climate at Pennant Hills from Burwood in 1907. 'Barncleuth' is situated on an elevated allotment which was originally part of the Aiken family's 'Hillside' orchard established in the 1870s. JT Lingen a Sydney barrister bought 41 acres of this land in 1890 and sold it to the Intercolonial Investment Land & Building Company Ltd in 1905. The IILBC subdivided the land into residential blocks and laid out Hampden Road The Crescent and Britannia Street. Jones purchased one of these blocks in July 1909. The design of 'Barncleuth' is a modification of Sydney Jones' entry in the 1906 'My House' competition in the journal Art and Architecture. The house was built by W Brown of Ashfield and is similar in concept to 'Lorne'.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Technology-Activities and processes associated with the knowledge or use of mechanical arts and applied sciences (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages (none)-

Recommended management:


Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanHornsby Local Environmental Plan 201367527 Sep 13 1004376
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Hornsby Shire Heritage Study1993 Perumal Murphy Wu Pty LtdVM No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1780272


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.