Mt Wilga and grounds | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

Mt Wilga and grounds

Item details

Name of item: Mt Wilga and grounds
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Mansion
Primary address: 2A Manor Road, Hornsby, NSW 2077
Local govt. area: Hornsby
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
2A Manor RoadHornsbyHornsby  Primary Address
Rosamond StreetHornsbyHornsby  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

Outstanding late Federation Queen Anne Style mansion. Impressive multi-level roof with highly decorated gables. Unusual verandah detailing. Generally in good condition. Many interior features of note. Owned by Marcus Clark leading Sydney retailer of the time.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker:
Builder/Maker:
Physical description: Federation mansion. Face brick walls. Complex steep pitched terracotta tiled roof. Three storey. Incorporates viewing tower at apex. Tall roughcast chimneys. Shingled and half-timbered gables. Stone verandah piers with simple scalloped timber valences. Unusual cylindrical polished granite colonettes. Original casement windows with leadlight many bayed with moulded sandstone sills. Original doors. Prominently sited in large grounds. Much of the original interior survives.

History

Historical notes: The land holding upon which the house was built totalled more than 100 acres and was purchased by the Clarks in three parcels in 1907 and 1908. The house was built in 1913-14 and was reputedly designed by the owner Henry Marcus Clark. He owned a large drapery business. Marcus died in 1913 before the building was completed. The family left Mount Wilga in 1919. In 1926 Mrs Georgina M Clark sold the house and portion of its land to Miss Jessie Hamilton Scott of Hornsby who subdivided the land creating Manor Road. In 1948 the property was owned by Dr Smallpage. Since the 1960's it has been used as a rehabilitation centre. A permanent conservation order was placed on the building in 1987.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages (none)-

Recommended management:


Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanHornsby Local Environmental Plan 201349527 Sep 13   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Hornsby Shire Heritage Study1993 Perumal Murphy Wu Pty LtdVM No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1780433


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.