Mowll Memorial Village: Lober House | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Mowll Memorial Village: Lober House

Item details

Name of item: Mowll Memorial Village: Lober House
Other name/s: Elwatan (Lober House)
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Health Services
Category: Nursing Home
Primary address: 284 Castle Hill Road, Castle Hill, NSW 2154
Local govt. area: Hornsby
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
284 Castle Hill RoadCastle HillHornsby  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Outstanding late Federation Arts and Crafts Style mansion. Probably the grandest house of its period in the study area. Original interior features of note. Dominant element of landscape due to position and size. Fine quality design with distinctive tiled roof and tall chimneys. Original outbuildings including Gate House andd four farm buildings. Original wrought iron gates and front fence. Other elements of original garden also of interest including driveway and fountain.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: BJ Waterhouse
Physical description: Late Federation style mansion. Face brick walls. Several wings with complex hipped terracotta tile roof. Dormers. Tall brick chimneys with terracotta pots. Boxed eaves. Multi-pane double-hung windows. Brick round arch arcade to entry. Deep vaulted verandahs. Interior features timber wall panelling patterned plaster or timbered ceilings. A number of outbuildings including Gate House. Front driveway with fountain. Wrought iron gates and stone fence.

History

Historical notes: Built for Robert Craig Dixson in 1925-6 on a holding of 117 acres. In 1958 Elwatan and six cottages on the property were sold by the Dixson family to the Anglican Retirement Villages. They are now part of the Mowll Memorial Village. The wrought iron gates and stone fence at the entrance to Castle Hill Road were moved from 'Abergeldie' after the death of Sir Hugh Dixson in 1926.

Recommended management:


Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan  22 Jul 94   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Hornsby Shire Heritage Study1993 Perumal Murphy Wu Pty LtdVM No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1780517


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.