Redleaf | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Redleaf

Item details

Name of item: Redleaf
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 28 Woodville Avenue, Wahroonga, NSW 2076
Local govt. area: Ku-Ring-Gai
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
     
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
28 Woodville AvenueWahroongaKu-Ring-Gai  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Reasons for listing; architectural, municipal significance
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: H. Joseland
Construction years: 1899-
Physical description: Redleaf is a substantial brick two-storey residence built for W.G.Parish of the Sydney legal firm Parish Patience and McIntyre. The house was one of the first generation of houses built in Wahroonga with the coming railway. It was designed in 1899 in the Federation Queen Anne style with arts and crafts details. The design was avant-garde in its time, and the house is now rare for the high integrity of its interiors, particularly the living area and the kitchen wing. Characteristics of the style present in Redleaf are the prominent flying gabels with half-timbered effects, over projecting bay windows with leadlight casements. There is a notable arched porch with stone trims.
Modifications and dates: Altered or extended unsympathetically In 1962 an unsympathetic addition was made to the north-east elevation. Apart from this, the building plan and details are remarkably intact. The garden however has been destroyed, except for a few mature trees. Outbuildings, fences, etc. have also been removed.

History

Historical notes: The house was originally set within an extensive garden of five acres. By 1915 the property was owned by Authur Crane of the Tap Manufacturers G.E. Crane and Sons. The property was resumed in 1926 by Ku-ring-gai Council to provide better access to Wahroonga Railway Station. The Council subdivided the property in 1929; the subdivision being called the Ku-ring-gai Council's Model Town Subdivision . At that time the house was purchased by the Sisters of Mercy and converted into a nursing home. This use continued until the mid 1960s. The house has been a private residence since 1966. Historical period: Pre- 1900.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan  04 Nov 89   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ku-ring-gai Heritage Study198709:079Robert Moore, Penelope Pike and Helen ProudfootSB Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written  Local History Sources
Written  Cannon M.,n.d "Our Beautiful Homes" Cook, K., (1991) "The Railway Came to Ku-ring-gai", Pymble Freestone, R., (1989) "Model Communities: The Garden City Move

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1880184


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.