Ypriana (also known as Newstead) | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Ypriana (also known as Newstead)

Item details

Name of item: Ypriana (also known as Newstead)
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 34 Ku-ring-gai Avenue, Turramurra, NSW 2074
Local govt. area: Ku-Ring-Gai
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
     
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
34 Ku-ring-gai AvenueTurramurraKu-Ring-Gai  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Reasons for listing; architectural, state significance
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1903-
Physical description: This is a fine example of Federation style architecture. The house is in good condition and forms an imposing element in the streetscape. It is a large two storey house with a base course of rusticated stone, dark red brick to the ground floor and rough cast to the upper floor. The roof is of unglazed terracotta tiles. The massing of the house is irregular, with an octagonal bay and projecting gable bay enclosing a recessed entrance framed by a brick arch. The timber detail is simple with tapered square columns and slatted balusters featuring incised decorations. There have been substantial internal alterations in an attempt to recapture the original style and layout of the house, including the enclosure of part of the front verandah to form a conservatory. The interior features panelled doors with brass door furniture, pressed metal ceilings and turned timber detailing. There are extensive grounds with a tennis court, swimming pool and garden. Curtilage to be the property boundary (National Trust).
Modifications and dates: Altered or extended sympathetically Note: 1961-1986 extensions

History

Historical notes: Built for E Lichtner, a manufacturing chemist, possibly designed by Thomas Cosh. The house was later owned by R.A Rand whist his house 'Egelabra' (at 62 Ku-ring-gai) was being built (National Trust). Historical period: 1901-1920.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan  04 Nov 89   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ku-ring-gai Heritage Study198710:014Robert Moore, Penelope Pike and Helen ProudfootSB Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written  Local History Sources
Written  National Trust of Australia Listing Proposal

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1880227


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.