Wychwood | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Wychwood

Item details

Name of item: Wychwood
Other name/s: Glensoy
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 17 Ku-ring-gai Avenue, Turramurra, NSW 2074
Local govt. area: Ku-Ring-Gai
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
     
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
17 Ku-ring-gai AvenueTurramurraKu-Ring-Gai  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Reasons for listing; cultural, architectural, group value, state significance
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Robertson & Marks
Construction years: 1901-
Physical description: The original nine-acre site has been reduced by subdivision to only half an acre. The very large two storey house is an extremely fine and elaborately detailed example of Federation style architecture with encompassing timber verandahs, multi-gabled roofs of slate with terra cotta cappings and finely executed brick work with stone trims. The flying gables and turned timber verandah details are particularly well handled. The entrance is marked by a brick romanesque arch and columns. The chimneys have been removed. Although some of the original plantings and garden features are not located in adjoining properties, the house still retains an imposing garden setting (National Trust).
Modifications and dates: Altered or extended unsympathetically (harshly subdivided land)

History

Historical notes: Originally known as Glensloy, Wychwood was built in 1901 by George McFarlane for his family. It was sold in 1921 to a Melbourne family for 11000 pounds after the death of George McFarlane. In 1928 it was converted to a 28 bedroon guesthouse until it was bought by the present owner and restored (Advocate Courier). Historical period: 1901-1920.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan  04 Nov 89   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ku-ring-gai Heritage Study198715:005Robert Moore, Penelope Pike and Helen Proudfoot  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written  Local History Sources
Written  Advocate Courier 3/12/80 National Trust of Australia Listing Proposal

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1880262


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.