Grandview | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

Grandview

Item details

Name of item: Grandview
Type of item: Built
Primary address: 1178 Pacific Highway, Pymble, NSW 2073
Local govt. area: Ku-Ring-Gai
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
     
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
1178 Pacific HighwayPymbleKu-Ring-Gai  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Reasons for listing; historic, architectural, landmark value, state significance
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: Richard Porter
Physical description: This dignified and high quality stone building is a key element in the streetscape of Pymble Hill. It is historically significant as it housed the first bank in the district. The house is a symmetrical Georgian revival two storey stone building with a hipped iron roof. The external walls are of high quality sparrow picked stone. Shuttered french windows open onto a fine two storey cast iron decorated verandah. The interior has a simple four-square plan with a central hallway. There are several fine marble fireplaces. The internal staircase has been removed and replaced by an external stair. At the rear there is a single storey addition in brick. The building is in good condition and the garden has mature trees (National Trust).
Modifications and dates: Substantially intact

History

Historical notes: "Grandview" - two storey stone residence on Pymble Hill stands on land which was originally part of a 100 acre grant to William Wright made in 1821. It is one of the oldest buildings in Ku-ring-gai and is over ninety years old. It has dignity and solidarity with its dressed local stone with tooled edges and cast iron balustrades. Was built in the 1880s by Richard Porter and in 1883 ownership passed to his son Michael ( whose 40 acres of orange orchard now comprises the Presbyterian Ladies College and part of Avondale Golf Club). In 1888 "Grandview" became the first bank in the district as the Australian Joint Stock Bank until 1894 and was later used as a private residence (KHS; 1973). Historical period: Pre-1900.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan  04 Nov 89   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ku-ring-gai Heritage Study198716:095Robert Moore, Penelope Pike and Helen ProudfootSB Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written  'Ku-ring-gai' KHS 1973 National Trust of Australia Listing Proposal

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1880380


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.