Misrule (including outbuildings) | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

Misrule (including outbuildings)

Item details

Name of item: Misrule (including outbuildings)
Type of item: Built
Primary address: 36 Greengate Road, Killara, NSW 2071
Local govt. area: Ku-Ring-Gai
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
     
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
36 Greengate RoadKillaraKu-Ring-Gai  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Reasons for listing; cultural, architectural, Municipal significance.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1904-
Physical description: It is a large Federation style house of tuckpointed red brick with darker brick trims, on a sandstone base. The complex hipped and gabled marseille tiled roof has terracotta finials and chimneys rendered with roughcast. Gables are battened with single Art Noveau influenced fretwork, and over the front door there is a squat square roughcast-rendered tower. The front verandah is tiled with brick balustrade, posts and brackets. Front door and sidelight have unusual bellshaped glazed panels; these and many other areas of the house have excellent floral and Art Noveau leadlight designs. The interior has pressed ceilings, marble and timber fireplaces, moulded arches with decorative capitals and all original light fittings, switches and Art Noveau door furniture. There is a garage on the front boundary and a 3-room servants quarters at the rear. These are thought to have been built in the 1920s but are sympathetic to the style of the house, being of tuckpointed brick with marseille tiled roofs. Part of the house on the northern side is a c.1960s addition. This part (kitchen/family room) has been recently remodelled. The front part of the house was restored in the 1980s, includeing repainting with the original colour scheme externally, and sympathetic colours internally (original scheme unknown). The house is set in a mature garden which formerly included the adjacent lot. Curtilage to be the property boundary.
Modifications and dates: Altered or extended sympathetically

History

Historical notes: The house was built in 1904 for Mr A.E. Bond, Australian General Manager of the Australian Mercantile and Finance Co. He lived there until c.1964. Historical period: 1901-1920.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan  04 Nov 89   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ku-ring-gai Heritage Study198723:084Robert Moore, Penelope Pike and Helen ProudfootSB Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written  National Trust Listing Proposal.

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1880523


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.