Linley | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Linley

Item details

Name of item: Linley
Other name/s: Grenaby
Primary address: 360 Burns Bay Road, Linley Point, NSW 2066
Local govt. area: Lane Cove
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
360 Burns Bay RoadLinley PointLane Cove  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

An important local landmark, this fine late 19th century villa remains relatively intact and displays a number of fine architectural features of its style. It has important historical connections with the suburb of Lane Cove and retains much of its original setting. An important local landmark, this fine late 19th century villa remains relatively intact and displays a number of fine architectural features of its style. It has important historical connections with the suburb of Lane Cove and retains much of its original setting. A local landmark. A good example of a late nineteenth century villa in grounds. Maintains the character of the original Lane Cove River subdivisions, of houses on generous blocks, served by ferry transport. Note: Just sufficient land survives to convey the original setting. The present levels of subdivision have not severely impinged upon the landscape setting. Further subdivision is likely to diminish the significance of the house and grounds. A local landmark. A good example of a late nineteenth century villa in grounds. Maintains the character of the original Lane Cove River subdivisions, of houses on generous blocks, served by ferry transport. Note: Just sufficient land survives to convey the original setting. The present levels of subdivision have not severely impinged upon the landscape setting. Further subdivision is likely to diminish the significance of the house and grounds.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

History

Historical notes: The second house built on Thomas Brooks’ land and believed to be connected with the family at Carisbrook. A fine late Victorian single storeyed house, built of brick with sandstone quoins and trim, and with a slate roof. There are three chief facades, facing east, north and west, each with a central doorway and gable, the latter given a Gothic note by the introduction of a pointed arch. A cast iron verandah links these three facades. The fourth side of the house originally was cleft by a service courtyard and this has been subsequently filled in. Sufficient garden survives to convey the nature of the original setting, when the house was surrounded by large grounds, with outlooks to the harbour and to Carisbrook. A nearby date palm is evidence of the original planting, though much of the garden detail dates from the 1950s. The land is part of 20 acres granted to John Clarke 15/4/1835 and part of 6 acres, 2 rods, 10 perches granted to Thomas Brooks 9/7/1869. Rate books 1886 note land transfer from Brooks to Cecilia Brodie (wife of Master Mariner Neil Brodie of Balmain), and the house was built 1888-9. Curtilage to be the property boundary.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan I22219 Feb 10   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Lane Cove Heritage Study1987B222Robert Moore, Penelope Pike and Lester Tropman & Associates  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1920025


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.