Substation | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Substation

Item details

Name of item: Substation
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Utilities - Electricity
Category: Electricity Transformer/Substation
Primary address: 33 Annandale Street, Annandale, NSW 2038
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Leichhardt
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
33 Annandale StreetAnnandaleLeichhardt CumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

The façade of the former Substation at No. 33 Annandale Street is of local historic and aesthetic significance as part of the early 20th century development and represents the growth, development and expansion of utilities and services in the local area. Despite the demolition of the building, the façade retains a sense of the suburban scale and character of the building, rendered and brick identification and decorative details.

Note: This inventory sheet is not intended to be a definitive study of the heritage item, therefore information may not be accurate and complete. The information should be regarded as a general guide. Further research is always recommended as part of the preparation of development proposals for heritage items.
Date significance updated: 10 Nov 11
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: Single storey face brick front façade of former electrical substation currently being incorporated into a residential development. The façade comprises two bays with corbelled brick parapet with soldier course detail. The northern bay features a central arched opening also with corbelled brick surround and pediment over framed by two openings. The northern opening has been partially infilled. The southern bay features a square opening that has also been altered. The facade is tied into the new structure behind. The façade is setback from the Annandale Street frontage with new concrete stairs and concrete block walls located between.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The façade appears to be in sound and good condition.
Modifications and dates: 1998: CC (CC/1998/15)
2003: Modification of development consent D/1999/317 for alterations and additions to an existing nine unit residential flat building and construction of nine additional units, basement carparking for 25 vehicles and strata subdivision. Modifications include relocation of proposed substation kiosk unit fronting Annandale Street to rear of site, deletion condition requiring retention of the complete façade of the existing electrical substation.
2004: Alterations and additions to existing nine unit Residential Flat Building and construction of additional nine units. Construction of basement car parking for 25 vehicles. Strata subdivision into 12 lots.
Former use: Electrical Substation

History

Historical notes: The site is part of 290 acres which was originally granted in 1799 to Major, later Colonel, George Johnston, a marine officer of the First Fleet. His son Captain Robert Johnston later leased portions and oversaw the first subdivisions, known as North Annandale Estate from 1874. In 1877 John Young, a prominent building contractor in the late 19th century and Mayor of Leichhardt (1879-80 and 1884-86), consolidated 280 acres and transferred it to the Sydney Freehold Land, Building and Investment Company Ltd which he formed in 1878 and which proceeded to subdivide and sell residential allotments over the next 30 years.
Annandale was to be a “model township”. Young created the 100ft wide boulevard along the main ridge, Johnston Street, which was intended to be the finest street in the Colony and encouraged the symmetrical street grid pattern. Annandale Street was designed as a wide 80 ft street whilst Trafalgar, Nelson and Young Streets and the four cross streets, Collins, Booth, Piper and Rose Streets were designed with a 66 ft width. Land sales were slow, particularly away from the higher ground along Johnston and Annandale Streets so the company was forced to revise lot sizes and smaller lots were subsequently created through re-subdivisions.
It is in this context that it would appear that the substation was constructed in the early decades of the 20th century following the major subdivisions and in response to the ongoing growth and development of the immediate area.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Utilities-Activities associated with the provision of services, especially on a communal basis (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The façade is of some historical signficance as part of the early twentieth century development and expasion of utilities and services in the local area.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The façade is of some aesthetic significance as an example of a suburban electrical substation building that retains a sense of its original scale, identification plaque and decorative brick details.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The façade remains as a representative example of a suburban substation building constructed to serve the immediate area.
Integrity/Intactness: Low
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

It is recommended that: - the brick façade particularly pattern of openings and corbelled brick details and parapet should be retained and conserved; - the face brick should not be painted; and - the rendered identification plate should also be retained and conserved and painted in appropriate colours.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan I123 Dec 13   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Leichhardt Municipality Heritage Study1990 McDonald McPhee Pty Ltd (Craig Burton, Wendy Thorp)  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenMax Solling and Peter Reynolds1997Leichhardt: On the Margins of the City

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1940003


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.