Substation - Sydney Water | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Substation - Sydney Water

Item details

Name of item: Substation - Sydney Water
Other name/s: SPS 5
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Utilities - Sewerage
Category: Sewage Pump House/Pumping Station
Primary address: 1B Hutchinson Street, Annandale, NSW 2038
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Leichhardt
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
1B Hutchinson StreetAnnandaleLeichhardt CumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

SPS No. 5 is of local historic, aesthetic and technological significance as one of 20 low lying pumping stations constructed as part of a major advancement of Sydney’s sewage system. Constructed in c. 1902 the building represents the growth of Sydney and expansion of the local area in the early decades of the 20th century. The building is a good and intact example of a Federation period small scale utility building that retains original features and Queen Anne details that makes a positive contribution to the Hutchinson Street streetscape and Railway Parade intersection.

Note: This inventory sheet is not intended to be a definitive study of the heritage item, therefore information may not be accurate and complete. The information should be regarded as a general guide. Further research is always recommended as part of the preparation of development proposals for heritage items.
Date significance updated: 15 Nov 11
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: NSW Department of Public Works
Builder/Maker: NSW Department of Public Works
Construction years: 1902-1904
Physical description: Small single storey red brick Sewer Pumping Station with half gabled roof clad in corrugated steel, exposed rafter ends and timber vents to the gable ends. The building facades are divided into bays with sandstone capped engaged piers, timber framed casement windows with multi-paned highlight, bracketed corrugated steel hoods and rock faced header and sills. A steel roller door is located in the south eastern corner of the building. The structure is setback from the street frontage which features a high modern palisade fence and gate with open grassed area between. A concrete path is located at the eastern side of the building. The site is also bounded by a high face brick fence and rendered wall of the neighbouring residential development which extends around the south and western site boundaries. Steel plates and services elements are located around and also fixed to the building facades.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The building appears in sound and relatively good condition. The brickwork has been affected by installation of services, some bricks at the building corners are also damaged. The stone window sills have exfoliated with some soiling evident on the stone pilaster capping.
Date condition updated:22 Nov 12
Modifications and dates: 1994: Residential - erect 18 townhouses, subdivide into two lots (P12070, DA/53/1994).
Further information: Located on the southern side of the street and faces junction of Railway Parade.
Current use: Sewer Pumping Station
Former use: Sewer Pumping Station

History

Historical notes: The site is part of 290 acres which was originally granted in 1799 to Major, later Colonel, George Johnston, a marine officer of the First Fleet. His son Captain Robert Johnston later leased portions and oversaw the first subdivisions, known as North Annandale Estate from 1874. In 1877 John Young, a prominent building contractor in the late 19th century and Mayor of Leichhardt (1879-80 and 1884-86), consolidated 280 acres and transferred it to the Sydney Freehold Land, Building and Investment Company Ltd which he formed in 1878 and which proceeded to subdivide and sell residential allotments over the next 30 years.
Annandale was to be a “model township”. Young created the 100ft wide boulevard along the main ridge, Johnston Street, which was intended to be the finest street in the Colony and encouraged the symmetrical street grid pattern.
By the 1870s the Harbour, particularly around the Glebe Island abattoir, became polluted and as a result of ongoing outbreaks of typhoid throughout the 1870s to 1890s the Government created the Sydney City and Suburban Health Board to investigate an alternative means of disposing of the city’s sewage. This lead to an overhaul of the existing system and construction of two gravitation sewers by the Public Works Department at Bondi and Botany in 1889. The Annandale Aquaduct was also constructed as in integral part of the system. A total of 20 low level pumping stations were subsequently constructed in the low lying areas around the harbour to collect and gravitate to the new outfall sewers. These buildings were handed over to the Metropolitan Board of Water Supply and Sewerage in 1904. It is in this context that SPS No. 5 was constructed by Public Works in 1902 to a standard design by Public Works under the supervision of Government Architect, Walter Liberty Vernon. The original plunger pumps plus the DC current were replaced by 1913. Since construction the slate roof has been replaced and timber double doors have been replaced with a roller shutter. Most of the mechanical and electrical components were upgraded during the 1970s. Council records indicate that the original site was subdivided and residential development constructed around the building during the 1990s.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Utilities-Activities associated with the provision of services, especially on a communal basis (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The building is of historical significance as part of a network of 20 low lying pumping stations constructed as part of a major advancement and overhaul of Sydney’s sewage system. Constructed in c. 1902 the building represents the growth of Sydney and expansion of the local area in the early decades of the 20th century. Changes to the building and functions represent improvements in technology and the system.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
SPS No. 5 is associated with the NSW Department of Public Works, MWS & DB and Sydney Water.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building is of aesthetic significance as a good and intact example of a Federation period small scale utility building that retains original features and Queen Anne details that makes a positive contribution to the Hutchinson Street streetscape and Railway Parade intersection.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The building has the potential to reveal information about the early 20th century construction techniques of pumping stations and significantly continues to fulfill its original role, albeit with mechanical means.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The building is one of twenty low lying pumping stations constructed around the turn of the 20th century. It is one of three similar sewer pumping stations constructed in Annandale and one of two located in the Leichhardt LGA. The others being located at Rose Street (Leichhardt LGA) and Booth Street (City of Sydney).
Integrity/Intactness: High
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The single storey form and scale of the building and features including roof form and vents, face brick facades, brick and stone details should be retained and conserved. No new structures should be constructed around the structure. The brick and stone should not be painted. Surfaces such as metal and timberwork should continue to be painted in appropriate colours.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan I2623 Dec 13   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Leichhardt Municipality Heritage Study1990 McDonald McPhee Pty Ltd (Craig Burton, Wendy Thorp)  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenJenkins Lewis Heritage & Historical Consultants2002Leichhardt Municipality Thematic History
WrittenMax Solling and Peter Reynolds1997Leichhardt: On the Margins of the City
WrittenSydney Water2000Heritage Items database - number 4571703

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1940028


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.