Goodman's Buildings | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Goodman's Buildings

Item details

Name of item: Goodman's Buildings
Other name/s: 105-119 Parramatta Road & 6-12 Johnston Street
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Commercial
Category: Other - Commercial
Primary address: 10 Johnston Street, Annandale, NSW 2038
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Leichhardt

Boundary:

north side of street
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
10 Johnston StreetAnnandaleLeichhardt CumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

The Goodman’s Buildings are of high historic, aesthetic and social significance as a relatively rare example of a grand emporium style building constructed in the inner city from 1890. The building is a largely intact example of a Victorian styled building constructed from 1890 that retains its overall scale, character and details particularly the first floor balconies and distinctive parapet and pediments. The building occupies a prominent corner site and has landmark qualities and makes a positive contribution to this part of the Parramatta Road and Johnston Street streetscapes.

Note: This inventory sheet is not intended to be a definitive study of the heritage item, therefore information may not be accurate and complete. The information should be regarded as a general guide. Further research is always recommended as part of the preparation of development proposals for heritage items.
Date significance updated: 15 Nov 11
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Sheerin & Hennessy
Builder/Maker: Wheelwright & Alderson (Stage 2)
Construction years: 1890-1912
Physical description: No. 10 Johnston Street is part of a two storey rendered brick commercial and residential building with Victorian Filigree details, high parapet and façade which curves around the Parramatta Road and Johnston Street corner. The building houses thirteen separate shops and residences above with renovated shopfronts on the ground floor with suspended awnings and narrow balconies over on the Parramatta Road frontage and wide posted balconies along the Johnston Street frontage. The first floor balconies all feature cast iron lace balustrade and posts which support the corrugated iron roof (ogee profile). Large double hung timber framed windows are regularly spaced along the first floor facades topped by rendered cornice and mouldings and bayed parapet with moulded cement balustrade and decorative urns at the end of each bay. A pediment bearing the name of the building is located at the western end of the Parramatta Road façade, corner and northern end of the Johnston Street façade. The façades and parapet conceal the skillion roof forms and rear wings which extend back to Albion Lane.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The buildings appear to be in good and sound condition. The paintwork to the façades, verandah elements and awnings is now failing with rust also apparent on some of the ironwork (2010). The ground floor shopfronts and awnings are in varying condition.
Modifications and dates: 1951: Shop front (642)
1966: Opening of wall between premises No. 8 and No.10 for Milk Bar (7929)
1966: Laundry (No. 8/10, 7922)
1968: Dem. Wall (8955)
1973: Alterations shop front (No. 8/10, 12381)
1974: Alterations to shop front (13068).
1987: Restoration and construction of verandah and balcony (Mayoral Dec. 86/861).
Current use: Shop and residence
Former use: Shop and residence

History

Historical notes: The site is part of 290 acres which was originally granted in 1799 to Major, later Colonel, George Johnston, a marine officer of the First Fleet. His son Captain Robert Johnston later leased portions and oversaw the first subdivisions, known as North Annandale Estate from 1874. In 1877 John Young, a prominent building contractor in the late 19th century and Mayor of Leichhardt (1879-80 and 1884-86), consolidated 280 acres and transferred it to the Sydney Freehold Land, Building and Investment Company Ltd which he formed in 1878 and which proceeded to subdivide and sell residential allotments over the next 30 years.
Annandale was to be a “model township”. Young created the 100ft wide boulevard along the main ridge, Johnston Street, which was intended to be the finest street in the Colony and encouraged the symmetrical street grid pattern. It is not surprising that Walter Goodman, a local shoe merchant and entrepreneur, chose the site to construct a large emporium. Designed by prominent architects, Sheerin and Hennessy the building was built in stages between 1890 and 1912. The stepped elements in the building facades give some indication of the staged construction, with the Johnston Street frontage and corner being part of the first stage. On completion of the building Mr Goodman occupied a grand apartment on the first floor and leased out his ground floor shops.
In the late 1980s the NSW Department of Planning co-ordinated the restoration of the exterior of the building as part of a scheme to improve the Parramatta Road streetscape. The works at this time included the repair of the verandah structures, essential repairs and painting of the buildings’ exterior. Paint scrapes were undertaken to determine the earlier colours which were found in the Pascol Paint range. Pascol donated over 700 litres of paint to complete the project. It would appear that a number of changes have been carried out, particularly to the rear of the buildings. The building is now occupied by a number of separate owners and tenants.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The Goodman’s Buildings are of high historical significance as a relatively rare example of a large emporium style building constructed in the city in the late 19th and early 20th century.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The Goodman’s Buildings are associated with Walter Goodman, a local businessman who constructed the building, and prominent architectural firm Sheerin and Hennessy.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The Goodman’s Buildings are of high aesthetic significance as a largely intact example of a Victorian styled building constructed from 1890 that despite modification of the ground floor shopfronts and alterations to the rear of the buildings retains its overall scale, character and details particularly the first floor balconies and distinctive parapet and pediments. The building occupies a prominent corner site and has landmark qualities and makes a positive contribution to this part of the Parramatta Road and Johnston Street streetscapes.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The Goodman’s Buildings are of some social significance to the local community associated with a number of local businesses and occupants since its construction.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The building has the potential to reveal information about late 19th century construction techniques and unusual subdivision of a large corner site.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The Goodman’s Buildings are a rare example of a grand emporium style building and late 19th century commercial terrace constructed in the inner city. The emporium type of building is more likely to be seen in country towns.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The building is a large and intact representative example of a commercial and residential building with late Victorian details and character.
Integrity/Intactness: High
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The existing scale, form and details of the building, particularly first floor balconies and associated elements, first floor facade, parapet and pediments, should be retained and conserved. Adaptation of the ground floor shopfront is permissible provided they are complimentary to the character of the building. Air conditioning units located on the awnings should be removed.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan I3223 Dec 13   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Leichhardt Municipality Heritage Study1990 McDonald McPhee Pty Ltd (Craig Burton, Wendy Thorp)  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenJenkins Lewis Heritage & Historical Consultants2002Leichhardt Municipality Thematic History
WrittenMax Solling and Peter Reynolds1997Leichhardt: On the Margins of the City
WrittenNSW Department of Planning1987Heritage Conservation News - The Goodman's Buildings A Streetscape Revival

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1940034


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.