House | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

House

Item details

Name of item: House
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 132 Johnston Street, Annandale, NSW 2038
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Leichhardt
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
132 Johnston StreetAnnandaleLeichhardt CumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

No. 132 Johnston Street is of local historic and aesthetic significance as a good and largely intact Victorian Italianate villa that was constructed following the major subdivision of the local area. Despite some alterations the building retains its original scale and form and decorative details including corner tower element and street facing gable, faceted bay and associated details. With its neighbour, No. 134 it forms part of pair of similar houses which make a prominent visual contribution to this section of Johnston Street.

Note: This inventory sheet is not intended to be a definitive study of the heritage item, therefore information may not be accurate and complete. The information should be regarded as a general guide. Further research is always recommended as part of the preparation of development proposals for heritage items.
Date significance updated: 23 Nov 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: Two storey rendered Victorian villa house with gabled roof clad in terracotta tiles and skillion roof at the rear constructed close to the northern site boundary. The front façade features a gable roofed projection with rendered quoin detail at the corners and two storey faceted bay with arched double hung timber framed windows, braketed sills and rendered mouldings and cornices on the ground floor and lightweight sheet infill and modern timber windows on the first floor with ogee profiled roof over clad in corrugated iron. The gable end also features a small circular vent and decorative timber fretwork bargeboard. The south eastern corner of the building features a two storey tower element with open entry porch on the ground floor and arched openigns with rendered label moulds and classical details. The tower element is topped by a dentilled cornice and parapet with collonette balustrade. Located on the western side of the street, the building is setback from the street frontage which features a wrought iron palisade fence with painted stone base and piers. A tesselated tiled path extends to the tiled entry porch and bounds a small open lawn with perimeter garden beds. A concrete strip driveway extends along the southern site boundary and side of the house to the rear. A detached shed and overgrown plantings are located at the rear of the building.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The house appears to be in sound yet run down condition.
Modifications and dates: 1960: Additions to rear verandah (3889)
1963: Alterations to provide (3) garages (6040)
1967: Amended plan (6040)
1968: Garden shed in rear yard (8808)
2001: Ground and first floor alterations and additions to the existing dwelling including first floor deck to southern elevation (D/2001/837)
2003: Modification of development consent D/2001/837 for alterations and additions to dwelling, including two storey addition at the rear. Modifications include internal changes, relocation of external door and new window to western rear elevation (M/2003/169, CC/2003/461 approved and modified M/2004/95)
2011 - S96 modification (M/2011/16) including deletion of first floor study, relocation of kitchen and new decking to the rear
Further information: The lightweight cladding to the first floor of the front faceted bay and windows are part of later infill and additions. The awning type windows on the first floor on the south eastern corner of the building are also later infill. The entry door has been replaced or obscured by steel screen door.
Current use: Residence
Former use: Residence

History

Historical notes: The site is part of 290 acres which was originally granted in 1799 to Major, later Colonel, George Johnston, a marine officer of the First Fleet. His son Captain Robert Johnston later leased portions and oversaw the first subdivisions, known as North Annandale Estate from 1874. In 1877 John Young, a prominent building contractor in the late 19th century and Mayor of Leichhardt (1879-80 and 1884-86), consolidated 280 acres and transferred it to the Sydney Freehold Land, Building and Investment Company Ltd which he formed in 1878 and which proceeded to subdivide and sell residential allotments over the next 30 years. Annandale was to be a “model township”. Young created the 100ft wide boulevard along the main ridge, Johnston Street, which was intended to be the finest street in the Colony and encouraged the symmetrical street grid pattern.
It is in this context that it is assumed that the house was constructed in later decades of the 19th century.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The building remains as part of the late Victorian development in the local area.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building is of local aesthetic significance as a good and largely intact example of a late Victorian Italianate villa that despite some alterations retains its original scale and form and details particularly on the front façade. With its neighbour 134 Johnston Street it forms part of a recognisable pair that make an active contribution to the Johnston Street streetscape.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The building is a representative example of a Victorian Italianate villa. There a several similar examples in Johnston Street.
Integrity/Intactness: High
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The existing two storey scale and form of the building including gabled and skillion roof form, details of the front façade including rendered mouldings and decorative details, faceted bay and associated details to the gable end and south eastern parapet should be retained and conserved. It is not considered necessary to remove the lightweight infill and windows to the former balcony spaces, however, some repair work is required. The front fence, wrought ironwork and tesselated tiles should also be retained and conserved. Some works to the rear are permissable provided that the form and details of the front of the building is retained and continues to be visible along Johnston Street.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan I5323 Dec 13   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Leichhardt Municipality Heritage Study1990 McDonald McPhee Pty Ltd (Craig Burton, Wendy Thorp)  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenMax Solling and Peter Reynolds1997Leichhardt: On the Margins of the City

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1940055


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.