"Cairngorm', terrace and front fence | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

"Cairngorm', terrace and front fence

Item details

Name of item: "Cairngorm', terrace and front fence
Other name/s: Cairngorm
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Terrace
Primary address: 13 Jane Street, Balmain, NSW 2041
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Leichhardt
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
13 Jane StreetBalmainLeichhardt CumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

No. 13 Jane Street is of local historic and aesthetic significance as a good and intact large Victorian Filigree style terrace (pair Nos 11-13) constructed in1881. The building significantly retains its original form and character including stone base and facades and details, roof form and chimneys and open front verandah and balcony. The building is elevated to the street frontage and with the adjacent terrace, (No. 11) makes a positive contribution to the Jane Street streetscape.

Note: This inventory sheet is not intended to be a definitive study of the heritage item, therefore information may not be accurate and complete. The information should be regarded as a general guide. Further research is always recommended as part of the preparation of development proposals for heritage items.

Council's Library Service has identified photos and/or subdivision plans relating to this item which may be viewed online through the council website at http://www.leichhardt.nsw.gov.au/ Select Library & Local History to get to the Library online catalogue and keyword search "Balmain Map" and/or "Jane Street" for results.
Date significance updated: 27 Jun 11
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: William and James Burt
Physical description: Nos. 11 and 13 are almost identical Victorian Filigree semi-detached pair of terraces (built in1881) with a medium-pitched narrow-eave hipped slate tiled roof with terracotta ridging. A stucco moulded chimney stands above the roof and the curve-top main firewall separates No.11 from No. 13. They are the largest and most elevated stone pair of terraces on Young's subdivision and are among the largest in the suburb.

The ground floor front facade consists of stone walls with a central wide 4 panelled timber door with rectangular transom light and splayed stone architraves. On either side of the doorway there are large 4 paned double hung timber windows with large and boldly moulded architraves. The square stone sills and architraves have been painted. The verandah has a stone base with timber posts with cast iron brackets supporting the first floor balcony.

The first floor facade consists of stone walls and a balcony with cast iron balusrade, frieze and brackets with a concave corrugated steel roof over which is hipped at the northern end. There is a central pair of French doors with highlight over. The stone lintel has a carved stilted label mould which rises to form a segmental pediment motif. On either side is a pair of large French doors with highlight over. The lintels have the same label moulding but without the pediment motif.

The buildings are elevated and well set back from the street with a large front garden with some tall trees and plants. There is a stone wall base with brick wall above and stone piers between on the front boundary. Central stone steps and path lead to a few more steps up to the front verandah. There is a palisade cast iron entry gate.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Very Good.
Pointing of mortar in front boundary wall deteriorating.
Date condition updated:28 Sep 10
Modifications and dates: 1969 - Modifications to reduce flats to 4 (9189)
1970 - Amended Plan (9189)
1990 - Alterations and additions to rear (90/252)
1994 - Alterations and additions (BA/1994/771)
2005 - Alterations and additions (PCA/2005/410)
Current use: Residential
Former use: Residential

History

Historical notes: Surgeon William Balmain was granted 550 acres and most of the area now encompassing Balmain in 1800. In 1801 the entire grant was transferred to fellow surgeon John Gilchrist. Gilchrist never actually lived in NSW and advertised the land for sale in 1823. However, the sale was not a success. He gave power of attorney to his Sydney-based agent and merchant, Frank Parbury, who commissioned Surveyor John Armstrong to subdivide part of the land. In 1836 22, 2-4 acres lots mostly about Balmain East were auctioned for sale by Parbury on behalf of the absentee landowner, Gilchrist.
Four lots containing about 38 acres were sold by Gilchrist at the second major sale of the Balmain Estate in August 1837. Included in this land was a 33 foot wide road, later named Adolphus Street. Robert Blake, Sheriff of NSW purchased Lot 1, the area roughly to the east of Adolphus Street to Cameron’s Cove. The remaining 30 acres, Lots 2-4 were purchased by Thomas Hyndes. Hyndes mortgaged Lots 2-4 in early 1840 to John Terry Hughes who in the same year mortgaged it to Adolphus William Young. Young subsequently acquired the land, subdivided and began to sell the various allotments from the late 1840s.

Lot 56 was bought from Young in June 1865 by James Burt, Balmain stonemason. The late date, the Burt brothers trade and late development of the site indicate that the land could have been quarried. James sold the northern portion of lot 56 immediately on concluding the purchce from Young to his brother William. They built an impresive pair of two-storey attached houses in 1881 (Nos. 11 and 13 Jane Street).

James Burt let No.13 (Cairngorm) to James Palmer, phonographistr in 1881-83 and to many other tenants until he left the property to his son Franf and daughter Mary Helen Mein, widow, both of Gordon in June 1896. They let the house to Mrs Jane McPhearson in 1897-1902 and to Mr M Powell in 1903-06. Frank sold his share to their sister Marion in December 1899. Mary and Marion sold to Isabella Smith in October 1905 and they lived in the house until 1910. Mrs Smith lived there till 1912 and the next tenant was Woolley Cathels, Balmain designer, who inherited the house from Mrs Smith in 1915 and lived there until 1932. The Cathel's family sold in August 1943 to John Pepperall and his wife in 1943 .

The terrace appears to have been divided into 4 units in 1969 and was later converted back to a house in the 1970s-80s.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Growth of Balmain-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The site and building are of local historic significance as part of an early subdivision and Victorian development of the site constructed in 1881.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The site is associated with a number of local land speculators, owners and occupants including James and William Burt who constructed a number of dwellings in the area.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building is of local aesthetic significance as a good and intact large Victorian filigree style terrace constructed in 1881. The terrace retains its original and early form and character including sandstone walls and stone base and stone details, roof form and chimneys, open front verandah and balcony and cast iron balustrades and details. The building is elevated to the street frontage and with the adjacent terraces (No. 13) makes a positive contribution to the Jane Street streetscape.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The terrace is a rare example of a large Victorian Filigree style terrace in the local area.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The terrace is a representative example of a Victorian Filigree style terrace constructed in the 1860s.
Integrity/Intactness: High
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

It is recommended that: - the existing scale and character of the building and elements including stone façade and details, roof form and chimney, front verandah and balcony and simple pattern of openings should be retained and conserved; - the front verandah and balcony should remain open and cast iron lace details conserved; - the natural stone base and walls should remain unpainted and surfaces that have previously been painted, such as the timberwork should continue to be painted in appropriate colours. - any further additions should be restricted to the rear of the building and site and ensure that the nature of the original structure is retained and remains prominent and should include the repointing of mortar in the front stone and brick boundary wall.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan I25223 Dec 13   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Leichhardt Municipality Heritage Study1990 McDonald McPhee Pty Ltd (Craig Burton, Wendy Thorp)  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenMax Solling and Peter Reynolds1997Leichhardt: On the Margins of the City
WrittenPeter Reynolds1994Leichhardt Historical Journal No.19

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1940267


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.