"Montrose", former house | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

"Montrose", former house

Item details

Name of item: "Montrose", former house
Other name/s: Montrose Aged Care Centre
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Health Services
Category: Nursing Home
Primary address: 13-13A Thames Street, Balmain, NSW 2041
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Leichhardt
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
13-13A Thames StreetBalmainLeichhardt CumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

Nos. 13-13A Thames Street is of local historic, aesthetic and social significance as a good and unusual intact example of a late Victorian/ Federation period rendered and weatherboard former dwelling initially constructed in c. 1885. Despite some changes and additions, the building significantly retains its early form, scale and fabric including distinctive rendered facades and details, timber weatherboard facades, roof form, dormer and rendered chimneys, faceted bay and turret, open verandah, pattern of openings and associated details. The building is enhanced by several mature trees and stone wall along the street frontage and makes a positive contribution to the Thames Street streetscape. The site is associated with the Salvation Army.

Note: This inventory sheet is not intended to be a definitive study of the heritage item, therefore information may not be accurate and complete. The information should be regarded as a general guide. Further research is always recommended as part of the preparation of development proposals for heritage items.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: JP Franki
Construction years: 1895-
Physical description: Single storey with attic and two storey rendered and timber weatherboard building with hipped roof clad in corrugated steel and rendered chimneys with terracotta pots. The main roof has a street facing dormer with timber framed window and roughcast and timber detailing to the gable end. The main roof continues over an open front verandah and is supported on decorative timber posts and brackets. The verandah is bounded by a gable roofed projection with timber framed casement windows with multi-paned toplights on a shingled base and timber and roughcast rendered details to the gable end. The verandah also has a faceted bay with large timber framed double hung windows on a rendered base. The bay is topped by a faceted turret which projects above the roofline and has roughcast and timber finish and metal bellcast faceted roof and finial. The front facade is rendered with finish resembling rock face ashlar stone blocks. The façade also features a timber panelled entry door with leaded glass panels, top and sidelights. A two storey rendered wing extends from the eastern corner of the building. An open verandah with rendered bay extends around the ground floor of the wing. The verandah has a timber floor/deck and long double hung timber framed windows with rendered sills and label moulds over. Decorative cast iron columns support the balcony over which has been infilled with timber framed windows on weatherboard base. The building is setback form the street frontage with open asphalted car park and landscaping located between. A stone wall extends along the street frontage and is topped by a modern steel palisade fence.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
In very good condition. Some patching and repairs to the stone wall along the street frontage is evident. The wall has also been affected by the installation of services.
Modifications and dates: 1956: Additions to Dormitory (2450).
1957: Toilet Additions (2679).
1959: Officers' Quarters (3460)
1980: Carport (18561).
1984: New building (Salvation Army) (85/573)
1986: Erection concrete block retaining wall (85/838).
1997: Alterations and additions to Salvation Army Home for the aged (DA/166/1997).
2000: Remediation of site and erection of five (5) new dwellings (D/2000/485).
Further information: The building combines the architecture of a Victorian villa and Federation period Bungalow with Queen Anne style decorative detailing.
The ground floor verandah/ timber deck of the northern wing has been extended out into an enclosed garden area.
Modern wings have been added to the eastern wing and rear of the main building. A modern, single service wing and loading dock area is located at the southern corner of the main house and site. A two storey wing is evident at the northern corner in addition to a number of detached buildings and complex to the north which is accessed via a separate sealed driveway from Thames Street. A gazebo and patio area is also located to the north of the building and front carpark.
Several mature trees and plantings are located on the site including a Pine in the south western corner of the site, near the Thames Street frontage, and several large palms to the north of the building.
Current use: Aged Care Home
Former use: Residence

History

Historical notes: Surgeon William Balmain was granted 550 acres and most of the area now encompassing Balmain in 1800. In 1801 the entire grant was transferred to fellow surgeon John Gilchrist. Gilchrist never actually lived in NSW and advertised the land for sale in 1823. However, the sale was not a success. He gave power of attorney to his Sydney-based agent and merchant, Frank Parbury, who commissioned Surveyor John Armstrong to subdivide part of the land. In 1836 22, 2-4 acres lots mostly about Balmain East were auctioned for sale by Parbury on behalf of the absentee landowner, Gilchrist.
One of the first persons to acquire an interest in the Balmain estate was George Cooper, Comptroller of Customs, who initially purchased 23 acres of the choicest land fronting the deep water of Waterview Bay. The land generally extended between Campbell and Mort Streets.
By 1840 Cooper had acquired 30 acres around the Bay. He also purchased Waterview House and associated 10 acre estate to the east of his initial purchase. However, his changing situation forced him to sell the 23 acres in 1840. Cooper later fell victim to the crash of the early 1840s and in 1842 was declared bankrupt. The Waterview Estate was subsequently divided into modest building allotments with very narrow streets (leaving as much land as possible for development) leading down to the bay with its slipway and wharves.
The 23 acres was subdivided into 4 large sections. The subject site is part of 8 acres of the land purchased by M Metcalfe, merchant, in 1840 and subsequently subdivided into a number of allotments along Thames Street.
The house was initially constructed in c. 1885 by JP Franki, who had commenced work at Morts Dock in 1867 and worked his way up to the position of General Manager in 1872. He was also a Balmain alderman and Justice of the Peace.
“Montrose” is shown on a Sydney Water plan dated c. 1887 (Balmain Sheet No. 15) and revised in the 1890s with no changed noted during that period. The plan indicates that the land was subdivided into a number of villa sized allotments. The subject building is clear and occupies one of these lots. The building is setback from the street frontage with front verandah and bay window clear. What appear to be service wings are located at the south eastern (rear) corner of the building. Another wing extends from the north east corner of the building. An open verandah also wraps around the north eastern corner of the north extending wing with a bay window also shown on the western façade of the wing. A number of detached structures are also located to the east of the house in addition to another detached dwelling occupying an extension of the site. The building is neighboured to the north by a separate detached dwelling which occupies a large site.
It is assumed that the house was “remodelled” sometime between the late 1890s and c. 1915. Since that time a number of changes have been undertaken including the consolidation of the large site to the north. The Salvation Army now own the site and have constructed a number of modern residential units and aged care facilities around the original building.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Growth of Balmain-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The site and building is of local historic significance as part of an early land purchase and subdivision and late Victorian/ Federation period of development in the local area initially constructed in c. 1885. The subsequent changes to the building and site represent the growth and development and changing requirements in the local area.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The site is associated with a number of local land speculators and owners including prominent Balmain businessman John Peter Franki and more recently with the Salvation Army.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building is of local aesthetic significance as an example of a Federation period detached dwelling initially constructed in c. 1885 with Victorian and Federation Queen Anne and bungalow influences. Despite successive additions, the building significantly retains its early form, scale and fabric including distinctive rendered facades and details, timber weatherboard facades, roof form, dormer and rendered chimneys, faceted bay and turret, open verandah, pattern of openings and associated details. The building is enhanced by several mature trees and stone wall along the street frontage and makes a positive contribution to the Thames Street streetscape.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The site is now of some significance due to its association with the Salvation Army.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The building is a representative example of late Victorian/ Federation period of development in the local area.
Integrity/Intactness: High/Moderate
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

It is recommended that: - the existing scale, character and details of the building as it presents to Thames Street including distinctive rendered facades and details, timber weatherboard facades, roof form, dormer and rendered chimneys, faceted bay and turret, open verandah, pattern of openings and associated details should be retained and conserved; - no new openings should be made to the front façade and northern timber weatherboard and rendered facades; - the front verandah should remain open; - the northern verandah should also remain open and consideration be given to the opening of the balcony over. The lattice between the ground floor cast iron posts may be replaced with more appropriate valance/screen; - any further additions should be restricted to the rear of the building and should not detract from the earlier character of the building.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan I32323 Dec 13   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Leichhardt Municipality Heritage Study1990 McDonald McPhee Pty Ltd (Craig Burton, Wendy Thorp)  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenMax Solling and Peter Reynolds1997Leichhardt: On the Margins of the City

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1940343


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.