Tulloona (Formerly Northcott House) | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Tulloona (Formerly Northcott House)

Item details

Name of item: Tulloona (Formerly Northcott House)
Other name/s: Northcott House
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 562 Ballina Road, Goonellabah, NSW 2480
Local govt. area: Lismore
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
562 Ballina RoadGoonellabahLismore  Primary Address
106 Ballina RoadGoonellabahLismore  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

A rare surviving house from the late Victorian period. One of the oldest known residences in the Lismore urban area. Tulloona is a fine example of a two storey weatherboard house. Displays a high degree of integrity, and features design elements that exemplify opulent Victorian taste. Associated with a well-known local family. Originally built on a large rural holding at Goonellabah, then a separate village. Considerable social and historical interest for its many owners and uses over the years. Regional significance.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: J T French
Builder/Maker: Brown and Jolly
Construction years: 1894-1894
Physical description: Two storey early Federation Period weatherboard house. Double fronted plan. External walls chamfered boards, internal rosewood. Corrugated iron gable roof. Front facing gable faced in fibre cement with ogee roof over large double storey canted bay. Half round double hung windows. Double storey verandah with ogee corrugated iron roof. Cast iron posts, balustrade and valance at first floor level. Timber board valance and cast iron posts at ground floor level. Half-glazed entry door with side and top-lights. French doors with shutters opening onto verandahs.
Modifications and dates: Near original condition. Recent conservation work appears authentic.

History

Historical notes: Portion 177 transfered from William Saville to Thomas Macgregor on 10 June, 1887. William Northcott, a saddler, purchased portions 177, 108, 128, in 1890 and constructed the house. The builder was a Mr Brown, father of George Brown of Brown and Jolly. The Northcott family moved into the house in 1894. Successive owners - Dr Cahill (1915) and GH Morris (1920). Dr DB Sillar conducted surgery in sitting room (1942). Purchased by the Anglican Church and used as a temporary church - St Peters, July, 1961. The upstairs was used as rented accommodation. Church vacated 1978. Permanent conservation order placed on the property in 1980 and sold by tender to G and L Randall on July 26, 1980.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
This item is assessed as aesthetically rare locally. This item is assessed as historically rare regionally.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
This item is assessed as aesthetically representative regionally. This item is assessed as historically representative locally. This item is assessed as socially representative locally.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

This site should be conserved. A conservation plan should be prepared prior to disturbance.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanLismore LEP 2012i3522 Feb 13   
Local Environmental Plan  08 Jun 01   
Heritage study  01 Oct 95   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Lismore Heritage Study199420108Perumal Murphy Wu Pty LtdK Altenburg No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 0RRHS, Files / photographs RA Filicietti, `Built Heritage Resouce Inventory for the Richmond River', 1993. UNE-NR. National Trust listing form, 1987

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1950144


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.