Federation Arts and Crafts Style Mansion - Parklands, including interiors | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Federation Arts and Crafts Style Mansion - Parklands, including interiors

Item details

Name of item: Federation Arts and Crafts Style Mansion - Parklands, including interiors
Other name/s: Parklands Convalesent Home
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 448 Marrickville Road, Marrickville, NSW 2204
Local govt. area: Marrickville
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
448 Marrickville RoadMarrickvilleMarrickville  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Parklands (1912) is of historical significance for its historical association with Alexander Stuart, former Mayor of St Peters and Managing Director of the Sydney Steel Company, a major Marrickville employer of the Federation period. The house is of aesthetic significance as a substantial finely detailed Federation Arts & Crafts style villa on its original site including stables at the rear. The Federation Arts & Crafts style of the house is rare in the local area.
Date significance updated: 12 Jan 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: Parklands is on a large site bounded by Marrickville Road (east), Harney Street (north) and Crawford Place (west).
The house is substantial, 2 storeys with the 1st floor partially incorporated within the large, steeply pitched jerkin head roof form clad in slate, with hidden flashings. The house features brick walls, with elaborate basket bond brickwork detailing to the 1st floor gable ends. The house features bay and oiel windows to ground floor and first floor level, and a wrap around, partially enclosed verandah to the front and side. Windows are generally leadlight casement windows.
At the rear of the house, fronting Crawford Place is a brick one and a half storey outbuilding contemporary with the house, with timber shingling to the top one quarter of the wall height, and a gabled slate jerkin head roof. Windows are timber framed double hung, generally in pairs, including windows to the northern gable end. The gable ends are transverse to Crawford Place. The northern elevation features a hipped metal awning above glazed doors (doors a later addition).
The house is well set back from both Marrickville Road and Harney Street, in a substantial garden setting featuring a mature phoenix canariensis palm.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good - some extensions and alterations.
Date condition updated:04 Dec 08
Modifications and dates: Two skylights have been added to the roof and there are early security features to the building, and air conditioning units added to the exterior at various locations.. There is a sympathetic extension to the Marrickville Road frontage to create an entry porch. Towards the rear of the house, near the corner of Harney Street and Crawford Place, is a single storey c, 1960s red brick side wing addition. Also along the Harney Street frontage of the house is a roofed disabled access ramp. Verandah enclosures are also evident. On the south side of the house is a large modern 2 storey brick addition with a gabled slate roof. While materials are sympathetic, the scale of the addition is not, and it impacts on views of the house from the south.
Current use: Convalescent Home
Former use: Residence

History

Historical notes: The original owners of the land within the Marrickville Council area were the Cadigal and Wangal clans of the coastal Eora people. They spoke Eora, which may have been a dialect of the Dharug (Darug) language, though sources differ on this point. With the establishment of the penal colony at Sydney Cove in 1788 the dispossession of the original inhabitants was begun. In 1789 a smallpox plague decimated the Aboriginal population, though descendants of the Cadigal and Wangal people still reside within the Sydney metropolitan area.
Thomas Moore was a boatbuilder and landholder, who arrived in 1796. He was granted 1170 acres in Petersham, which he extended by purchase to 1920 acres by 1807. Dr Robert Wardell, who had arrived in 1824, purchased Moore’s holdings in the late 1820s and by the time of his death owned about 2500 acres, which was known as the "Petersham Estate". Wardell’s house, "Sara Dell" stood near Parramatta Road, on a site now occupied by Fort Street High School, though most of the "Petersham Estate" was south of Stanmore and New Canterbury Roads, stretching to the Cooks River. Dr Wardell was murdered in 1834 and his estate was divided amongst his relatives. Subdivision of the Petersham Estate was begun in 1848.
A portion of the Petersham estate was subdivided as the "Sydenham Estate" in anticipation of the opening of the Sydney to Parramatta railway and advertised for sale, with an auction on 9 October 1854. The area immediately to the south of the "Sydenham Estate", south of Stanmore Road, was subdivided in 1854 as the "Norwood Estate". Stretching from Albert Street to Livingstone Road, and south to Addison Road, it enjoyed views to Botany Bay and was advertised as suitable for villas, cottages and business premises. South of Addison Road was the Norwood Dairy, which was gradually subdivided from the 1880s onwards.
By the 1870s Marrickville was a patchwork of villas, market gardens, dairies, brickworks and a small commercial centre on Illawarra Road, where the first Marrickville Town Hall was built. The building of a tramway from Marrickville to Dulwich Hill via Marrickville Road in 1889 encouraged suburban subdivisions and with the opening of the Wardell Road (now Dulwich Hill) and Marrickville railway stations on the Belmore Line in 1895 and the electrification of the tram line in 1900, this trend accelerated.
With the improvements to transport, the commercial centre of Marrickville moved from Illawarra Road to Marrickville Road. The Anglican church purchased a site on Marrickville Road in 1882 and an Anglican school was opened in 1883, followed by the purchase of a rectory in 1885. The chancel and east end of St Clement’s Anglican Church was opened in 1899, with the nave and tower completed in 1907, designed by Rowe & Spain. Marrickville Cottage Hospital was begun in 1897 and opened in 1899.
By 1890 John H. Teege was residing at Kiel Cottage, on a large block of land at what is now 448 Marrickville Road. After Teege’s death in 1911 the property was sold to Alexander Stuart JP. Stuart had recently been appointed Managing Director of the Sydney Steel Company. The Sydney Steel Company had been set up in 1909 by the firm of Stuart Brothers, builders of Campbell Street Camperdown, which was owned by brothers James and William Stuart. It is not clear whether Alexander Stuart was a relative of Leslie and William Stuart or whether his surname was coincidental. The Sydney Steel Company supplied the steel for many major Sydney building projects including the Ford factory at Lidcombe, the T. & G. building, AWA building, grandstands at the SCG and Qantas building. The Sydney Steel Company works were located in Edinburgh Road and for many years they were Marrickville’s largest employer.
Alexander Stuart had been Mayor of St Peters, 1895-1898 and in 1911 was living at 19 Railway Street St Peters. After buying 448 Marrickville Road he had "Kiel Cottage" demolished and a new house, costing about £2,500, built. Stuart lived at 448 Marrickville Road until his death in 1934. He likewise remained managing director of the Sydney Steel Company until his death. The house is now part of Parkland Nursing Home.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The house and grounds are of historical significance for historical association with Alexander Stuart, former Mayor of St Peters and Managing Director of the Sydney Steel Company, a major Marrickville employer of the Federation period.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The house is of aesthetic significance as a substantial finely detailed Federation Arts & Crafts style villa on its original site including stables at the rear.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The Federation Arts & Crafts style of the house is rare within the local area.
Integrity/Intactness: The building has been extended however retains sufficient integrity for its original form and detailing to be evident.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building shall be retained and conserved. A Conservation Management Plan, should be prepared to accompany any development application for major works to the building or grounds. There shall be no further alterations to the façades of the building other than repairs or reinstatement of original features, or removal of previous unsympathetic additions. Surviving original features which indicate the original principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved where these are extant. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing building, and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls. Preparation of a landscape plan, based on research of the original garden, should be encouraged.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville LEP 2011I11312 Dec 11 2011/645 
Within a conservation area on an LEPwithin draft cons. area Marrickville LEP 2001    
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Marrickville Heritage Study19861.53Fox and AssociatesNovember 1984 No
Marrickville Heritage Study Review19972030044Tropman & Tropman Architects1997-1999 Yes
Review of Potential Heritage Items for Marrickville Council2009 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2030044
File number: 1.53


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.