Olympia Milk Bar, including interiors | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Olympia Milk Bar, including interiors

Item details

Name of item: Olympia Milk Bar, including interiors
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Retail and Wholesale
Category: Milk Bar
Primary address: 190 Parramatta Road, Stanmore, NSW 2048
Local govt. area: Marrickville
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
190 Parramatta RoadStanmoreMarrickville  Primary Address
Corunna LaneStanmoreMarrickville  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

The building and its ground floor shopfront and ground floor shop interior fitout in particular are of historical significance as evidence of the development of commercial leisure related activity along this section of Parramatta Road from 1912, The building, originally a billiard room associated with a skating rink at 192-200 Parramatta Road, refurbished and reopened in 1939 as the Olympia Milk Bar in association with the Olympia Picture Theatre which replaced the skating rink at 192-200 Parramatta Road. T he Olympia Milk Bar has retained its name and fabric from 1939. The building is rare for its surviving 1939 shopfront and interior shop fitout, which is historically associated with the Olympia Picture Theatre. The building's shop fitout from 1939 is the last physical evidence of a cinema in the locality ( the Olympia Picture Theatre and later Stanmore Twin Theatre which operated next door at 192-200 Parramatta Road until the late 1990s). The building's 1939 shopfront and ground floor shop fitout is of aesthetic and social significance as a rare intact shop fitout from this period.
Date significance updated: 11 Jan 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: William Edward Prigg -1912 construction; Arthur Ernest Packer -1929 shopfront and interior refurb
Construction years: 1912-1939
Physical description: Externally this 2 storey retail building presents a plain late Federation period brick facade with only simple string course and pilaster detailing. The shop has a parapet obscuring the roof from Parramatta Road, and is built to the street boundary of the property, with an awning over the footpath in front. Internally the shop retains most of the fittings (and character) introduced in 1939 when the property was refurbished and reopened as The Olympia Milk Bar. These include the glass fronted stainless steel counter in green and yellow; green, red, and yellow vinyl tiled floor; built in timber seating and tables, early neon signs; the name "Olympia" in coloured terazzo to the entry floor and a concertina timber door. The original ceiling dating from 1912 is an ornate panelled plaster ceiling. The site is narrow and extends through the block from Parramatta Road to Corunna Lane.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Fair - the awning and paintwork are in a deteriorated condition.
Date condition updated:31 Mar 09
Modifications and dates: There is recent signage to the interior and the exterior. Otherwise, there are minor modifications.
Further information: Draft
Current use: Milk Bar

History

Historical notes: The original owners of the land within the Marrickville Council area were the Cadigal and Wangal clans of the coastal Eora people. They spoke Eora, which may have been a dialect of the Dharug (Darug) language, though sources differ on this point. With the establishment of the penal colony at Sydney Cove in 1788 the dispossession of the original inhabitants was begun. In 1789 a smallpox plague decimated the Aboriginal population, though descendants of the Cadigal and Wangal people still reside within the Sydney metropolitan area.
In May 1793 Captain George Johnston of the New South Wales Corps was granted 100 acres south of Parramatta Road (in the area now known as Stanmore, which became known in the late 19th century as South Annandale), which he named Annandale Farm. Adjacent to what is now Johnstons Creek, it was supplemented by two smaller grants in 1794. Johnston was granted an additional 290 acres in 1798, which extended Johnston’s land north to the shores of Sydney Harbour (covering the area now known as Annandale, known in the late 19th century as North Annandale). It is believed that Annandale House, which was built south of Parramatta Road in the vicinity of Macaulay Road, Stanmore, was constructed in about 1799. The 430 acres of Annandale Farm became the nucleus of extensive farming interests for the Johnston family, which stretched as far as the Monaro.
Annandale Farm was one of the most important sites in Australian colonial history. Captain George Johnston played key roles in the suppression of the Vinegar Hill uprising and in the Rum Rebellion. He and his family played a significant part in the development of pastoralism in Australia.
When George Johnston died in 1823 his common-law wife Esther Abrahams was left a life interest in Annandale Farm, which would ultimately be inherited by their son Robert Johnston. Esther attempted to lease the property and court proceedings taken against her in 1829 found her to be "not of sound mind". Esther moved to another family property, "Lockwood" while Robert Johnston occupied Annandale Farm, from where he superintended his extensive squatting interests.
A map of the "Estate named Annandale situate in the Parish of Petersham and District of Sydney the property of Robert Johnston Esq R.N", dated 1843 Surveyed by Goodall and Bemi (Mitchell Library M3 811.182 1843 4) shows that Annandale south of Parramatta Road was divided into paddocks, ranging from 2 to 50 acres. From Johnstons Creek as the east boundary it extended to White’s grant in the west. Annandale Road, south of Parramatta Road is shown as a tree-lined drive to Annandale House. No gatehouse is shown on Parramatta Road at this time. The route for the railway, which opened in September 1855, is shown south of Johnstons Creek on the southern edge of the grant.
As Sydney developed, Annandale Farm, with its stately avenue of Norfolk Island pines (the earliest avenue of Norfolk Island pines in mainland Australia " these were seedlings sent by Captain Piper to the Johnstons in 1804) and attractive gardens, was a notable landmark on Parramatta Road. Gates and a gatehouse were constructed on Parramatta Road - probably in the 1850s or 1860s " (architectural analysis of the sandstone of the surviving gate pillars now at Annandale Public School estimates their age as 1850s, an 1870s photograph of the Parramatta Road entrance to the Annandale Farm shows the gatehouse) and there were numerous wings and store buildings adjacent to the house, which had become the centre of what was almost a small village. Like the Macarthur’s Elizabeth Farm House at Parramatta, the Annandale Farm House was extended throughout the 19th century.
By the 1870s much of the land surrounding Annandale Farm had been subdivided. A railway station opened at Stanmore in 1878. With Robert Johnston’s death in 1882 the way was clear for wholesale subdivision. The first subdivision, the "South Annandale Estate" was auctioned on Saturday 20 September 1884. It included the area bounded by Bruce Street, Gordon Crescent, Stanley Street and Albany Road. In 1886 Fanny Johnston, Robert Johnston’s widow, donated £3,000 for the construction of an elaborate station building at Stanmore railway station to attract purchasers to the South Annandale subdivisions.
"South Annandale Estate", the blocks south of Salisbury Road (to the north of the 2nd Subdivision West Kingston Estate) and east of Bridge Road were sold on November 30 1901. This left only the area around Annandale House itself unsubdivided at this time.
On 24 March 1906 the remainder of the South Annandale Estate was subdivided. The area was bounded by Percival Road, Macauley Lane, Bridge Road and Salisbury Road. It included the site of Annandale House, which had been demolished in 1905 and its cedar doors, shutters, fittings and bricks had been auctioned.
By 1907 the Johnston Estate retained 330 feet of frontage to Parramatta Road around the gateway to Annandale Farm. About this time the gates were re-erected at Liverpool Show Ground (where they remained until the 1960s, and they were relocated to Annandale Public School in 1978), while the gatehouse was moved to a site in Corunna Road, one of the few relics from the Johnston holdings still extant on the estate.
Between 1908 and 1911 William Edward Prigg, a builder who lived nearby in Leichhardt Street, Leichhardt, purchased a number of blocks (now 190-200 Parramatta Road) from the Johnston Estate. These blocks were on the former site of the gates and gatehouse of Annandale Farm. Prigg built a skating rink at 192-200 Parramatta Road by 1911. Prigg built a billiard room at 190 Parramatta Road in 1912, which he sold in 1913 to Charles Walter Freeman, a clerk, who lived at 35 Corunna Road. Freeman leased the billiard room to George Margison (or Margieson), who sublet the front portion to bootmaker William Smith. Prigg leased the skating rink to Simmons & Hedges, but about 1915 it was converted to become the Olympia Picture Theatre. The theatre was leased to Helen & James Sheerin of 43 Johnston Street Annandale. About 1918 Freeman moved to Addison Road Marrickville.
In 1920 local builder Arthur Ernest Packer purchased the Olympia Picture Theatre. 190 Parramatta Road remained as a billiard room, run by George Margeson until at least 1924. By 1933 it was an ironmongery shop leased by William George Whiteley. In October 1938 Arthur Ernest Packer bought 190 Parramatta Road from Charles Freeman. Plans were approved for a new shop front (6 December 1938) and interior alterations (7 February 1939) each for £150. It is thought that the Olympia Milk Bar opened early in 1939.
The Olympia Picture Theatre closed in the early 1960s and was replaced in the early 1970s by the Stanmore Twin Cinema. The Stanmore Twin closed in the late 1990s. It was demolished in 2001 and replaced by the current apartment building at 192-200 Parramatta Road. The Olympia Milk Bar has a substantial current community interest. Webpages and blogs devoted to the Milk Bar (2009) include: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fuzzhead/17376040
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=154970
http://jacketmagazine.com/12/macris-olympia.html
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=156653
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~howodd/iamacamera.htm

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services (none)-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Leisure-Activities associated with recreation and relaxation (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The building and its ground floor shopfront and ground floor shop interior fitout in particular are of historical significance as evidence of the development of commercial leisure related activity along this section of Parramatta Road from 1912, The building, originally a billiard room associated with a skating rink at 192-200 Parramatta Road., refurbished and reopened in 1939 as the Olympia Milk Bar in association with the Olympia Picture Theatre which replaced the skating rink at 192-200 Parramatta Road. T he Olympia Milk Bar has retained its name and fabric from 1939. The building is rare for its surviving 1939 shopfront and interior shop fitout, which is historically associated with the Olympia Picture Theatre. The building's shop fitout from 1939 is the last physical evidence of a cinema in the locality ( the Olympia Picture Theatre and later Stanmore Twin Theatre which operated next door at 192-200 Parramatta Road until the late 1990s).
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building's 1939 shopfront and ground floor shop fitout is of aesthetic significance as a rare intact shop fitout from this period.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The building has social significance both for past and present community as a rare intact 1939 shop.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
A rare surviving shop fitout from 1939.
Integrity/Intactness: The building appears to be relatively intact and retains most of its integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building shall be retained and conserved. A Heritage Impact Statement or a Conservation Management Plan, may be required to accompany any development application for major works to the building. There shall be no alterations to the façade of the building other than repairs or reinstatement of original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and flooring coverings should be retained and conserved to the main ground floor front shop space where present. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing building, and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville LEP 2011I25312 Dec 11 2011/645 
Within a conservation area on an LEPwithin draft cons. area Marrickville LEP 2001    
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Marrickville Heritage Study19862.2Fox and AssociatesNovember 1984 No
Marrickville Heritage Study Review19972030049Tropman & Tropman Architects1997-1999 Yes
Review of Potential Heritage Items for Marrickville Council2009 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written  Petersham Building Register 1938 and 1939, 1934, 1937 Petersham Valuation book, Petersham Rates books, Sands Directories 1910-1915

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2030049
File number: 2.2


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.