Victorian Terraces - Church Avenue (1886) and May, including interiors | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage


Victorian Terraces - Church Avenue (1886) and May, including interiors

Item details

Name of item: Victorian Terraces - Church Avenue (1886) and May, including interiors
Other name/s: Lilac, Aster, Lily, Tulip (2-8); Church Avenue (38-56); May Terrace (58-84)
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Terrace
Primary address: 2-8 and 38-84 Lennox Street, Newtown, NSW 2042
Local govt. area: Marrickville
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
2-8 and 38-84 Lennox StreetNewtownMarrickville  Primary Address
2 - 8, 38-56 & 58 - 84 Lennox StreetNewtownMarrickville  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

An interesting row of terrace housing which is of an appropriate scale for the adjacent park and which illustrates a range of terrace housing from the late 19th and early 20th century. The Coles building is an inappropriate intrusion on this low scale streetscape.

2-8 Lennox Street (Statement of Significance from the Register of the National Estate)
The terraces are architecturally significant as a stylistically unusual group of transitional Federation terraces. The Mansard roof is a rare form through all styles and periods in Sydney. The flamboyant decoration, relative to the small scale of the terraces, is unusual in terraces of this style. The terraces are an important part of the essentially low scale streetscape facing Camperdown Memorial Rest Park.

Statements of Sginficance for the rest of the row require further research and assessment..
Date significance updated: 11 Jan 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.


Construction years: 1861-1918
Physical description: This group includes three different rows of terrace housing which face Camperdown Memorial Rest Park. At the western end of the street there is a row of 14 Federation cottages (May Terrace, Nos.58-84) and this adjoins a row of 10 Victorian cottages (Church Avenue - 1886, Nos.38-56). These are in good condition and retain much of their original detailing. At the other end of the street, isolated by a car park and by the large block fa├žade of the Coles building, is an unusual Victorian group of 4 cottages. These feature a gambrel roofline with a dormer window, central decorative gable and square entry porch to each unit. This group is in a deteriorated condition.

2-8 Lennox Street (from Register of the National Estate)
A row of four small transitional Federation style brick terraces with Mansard roof (fifth demolished for adjacent car park). The terraces have unusual front elevations featuring dormer windows, pediment square entry porches and central Flemish style gables. The gables and porches are decorated in a flamboyant Italianate style and include a series of related house names: Lilac, Aster, Lily and Tulip (the demolished No 10 was called Rose). Nos 4, 6 and 8 have terracotta tiled roofs on the front elevation, while No 2 is roofed with iron. The terraces are part of a group of three rows facing Camperdown Memorial Rest Park of a similar low scale.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
2-8 generally are in a good condition. No.2 is in need of some general maintainence. 38-84 generally are in good condition.
Date condition updated:18 Jun 99
Modifications and dates: Series of small modifications made over time. Some adjoining buildings have been demolished to make way for carparking and Coles building. There are minimal modifications to 38-84.
Further information: NB: Only Nos. 2 - 8 are listed under AHC Register
Current use: Residential
Former use: Residential


Historical notes: The row of three terraced groups that line Lennox Street are located within the former Bligh Estate, on land granted to Governor Bligh in August 1806 by the outgoing Governor, Philip Gidley King. Bligh named the area 'Camperdown' after a naval battle between the English and the Dutch in 1797.

On his departure in 1810, Bligh left his estates in an unresolved state. His daughter, Mary, returned to Australia with her second husband, Colonel, later Sir, Maurice Charles O'Connell and re-claimed her father's land, including the 240-acre estate at Camperdown.

In 1841 the land was subdivided and put up for sale. Camperdown Street (later Church Street) was formed and the area became known as O'Connell Town. Sir Maurice died in 1848 and was the first buriel in the nearby St Stephen's cemetery.

The rows of terraces along Lennox Street (originally Charles Street) were built at various times in the 1880s and the trun of the century. Many of the surrounding place and street names (Mary, O'Connell, Charles, Camperdown) derive from the Bligh family's early ownership of the land.

Church Avenue at 38-56 Lennox Street was built in 1885, as indicated on the central parapet of the row.

Further historical research is required for the whole row.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Local. Requires further assessment.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Local. Requires further assessment.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Requires further assessment.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
Requires further assessment.
SHR Criteria f)
Local. Requires further assessment.
SHR Criteria g)
Local. Requires further assessment.
Integrity/Intactness: They have retained they integrity and most are intact.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.


Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville LEP 2011I16112 Dec 11 2011/645 
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville Local Environmental Plan 2001 18 May 01 86 
Within a conservation area on an LEPwithin draft cons. area Marrickville LEP 2001    
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Marrickville Heritage Study19862.49Fox and AssociatesNovember 1984 No
Marrickville Heritage Study Review19972030091Tropman & Tropman Architects1997-1999 Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenJulie Mackenzie2005Heritage Assessment and Statement of Heritage Impact: 52 Lennox Street, Newtown

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2030091
File number: 2.49

Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.