St Pius Church, Church Hall and Presbytery, including interiors | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

St Pius Church, Church Hall and Presbytery, including interiors

Item details

Name of item: St Pius Church, Church Hall and Presbytery, including interiors
Other name/s: Saint Pius Church and Presbytery
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Religion
Category: Church
Primary address: 290 Edgeware Road, Newtown, NSW 2042
Local govt. area: Marrickville
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
290 Edgeware RoadNewtownMarrickville  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

This group is part of a small precinct which illustrates the development of churches and of private and public schools in the district in the period around the turn of the century. The Church and presbytery are relatively intact and form a good example of a Church from this period.
Date significance updated: 11 Jan 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1905-1915
Physical description: This group includes the two storey Edwardian presbytery, the church and church hall, all of which were built of red brick. The presbytery has an enclosed balcony with the cast iron detailing to the verandah. The side bay has a cantilevered bay window to the first floor. Slate roof. The church and hall both have pointed arches to the facade, and each of the buildings has a cross to the gable. The church is of two tone brickwork with liver colour bricks used as a decorative element.The site is enclosed by a brick and wrought iron fence.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The buildings and site appear to be in good condition.
Date condition updated:29 Jul 98
Modifications and dates: Verandah enclosure to presbytery. Metal protection grille over stained glass windows.
Current use: Church
Former use: Church and School

History

Historical notes: This site was purchased for church purposes in 1905. The church was opened in 1906 and the school commenced in the following year. The present presbytery was built in 1911, the church in 1913 and the school (opposite) in 1915.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Local
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Local
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Local
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Local
Integrity/Intactness: The buildings are relatively intact and retain their integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

General maintenance

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville LEP 2011I14712 Dec 11 2011/645 
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville Local Environmental Plan 2001 18 May 01 86 
Within a conservation area on an LEPwithin draft cons. area Marrickville LEP 2001    
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Marrickville Heritage Study19862.85Fox and AssociatesNovember 1984 No
Marrickville Heritage Study Review19972030124Tropman & Tropman Architects1997-1999 Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenPerumal Murphy Alessi- Heritage Consultants2010St Pius Church- Statement of Heritage Impact

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2030124
File number: 2.85


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.