St Mary and St Mina Coptic Orthodox Church, including interiors | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

St Mary and St Mina Coptic Orthodox Church, including interiors

Item details

Name of item: St Mary and St Mina Coptic Orthodox Church, including interiors
Other name/s: Saint Mary
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Religion
Category: Church
Primary address: 24A Railway Road, Sydenham, NSW 2044
Local govt. area: Inner West
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
24A Railway RoadSydenhamInner West  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

When the Tempe Park Methodist Church was built it represented the growing Methodist congregation in the district. However during the 1950's and 60's the cultural mix of the area changed dramatically, and this has been represented by the reconsecration of a number of local churches including this one.
Date significance updated: 10 Jan 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: The external appearance of the church (brick with rendered detailing) has only been changed slightly since it was built, but the interior has been re-decorated in the traditional manner of the Coptic Orthodox Church. Apon visit to the site in 2014 the building looks to no longer be regularly used. There is a large amount of graffiti on different areas of the building, especailly the front. Many of the windows are broken and the most of the site is fenced off.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Fair to Poor.
Date condition updated:29 Jul 14
Modifications and dates: There are minor modifications to the exterior of the building.
Current use: Church

History

Historical notes: The Tempe Park Methodist Church was opened in 1902 to replace the earlier Wesleyan Church built at Tempe in 1855. In 1968 the first Coptic Orthodox Priest arrived in Australia and the church was purchased and reconsecrated to St. Mary and St. Mina.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Local
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Local
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Local
Integrity/Intactness: The building is relatively intact and retains most of it's integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

General maintenance

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville Local Environmental Plan 2011I28912 Dec 11 2011/645 
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville Local Environmental Plan 2001 18 May 01 86 
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Marrickville Heritage Study19864.22Fox and AssociatesNovember 1984 No
Marrickville Heritage Study Review19972030193Tropman & Tropman Architects1997-1999 Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2030193
File number: I289


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.