Group of Victorian Italianate and Federation Period Transitional Style Terraces | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

Group of Victorian Italianate and Federation Period Transitional Style Terraces

Item details

Name of item: Group of Victorian Italianate and Federation Period Transitional Style Terraces
Other name/s: Terrace housing
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Terrace
Primary address: 29 - 37 Trade Street, Newtown, NSW 2042
Local govt. area: Marrickville
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
29 - 37 Trade StreetNewtownMarrickville  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Group of Victorian italianate and Federation period transitional style terraces, including interiors.

These terraces are of historical significance for association with William Chown, owner/builder of the terraces, and a founder of the local firm of Chown Brothers & Mulholland, galvanized iron and tinware manufacturers. This group of five terraces are of aesthetic significance as good examples of Victorian terraces in a transitional style (Victorian Italianate with some Federation detailing) with much of the original detailing intact. While modest, the level of detailing on the facades of these terraces is elaborate, including decorative stucco detailing and decorative tile panels. They relate to another pair of houses opposite at 4-6 Trade Street which were also built for William Chown.
Date significance updated: 01 Sep 17
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: Group of 5 single storey late Victorian period terraces (Nos. 29-37 Trade Street, virtually identical to a pair of semi-detached single storey late Victorian houses (Nos. 4-6 Trade Street), opposite. The terraces are transitional in style between Victorian Italianate and Federation Queen Anne, and are all by the same builder, with identical detailing. The terraces step down the slope of Trade Street from No. 29 on the east (higher end of the row) to No. 37 on the western end of the row (lower end). The terraces feature gabled unglazed terracotta or concrete tiled roofs with gable ends with timber fretwork facing the street, and stuccoed brick walls featuring elaborate stucco detail and painted tiling between and below windows. The windows are timber framed double-hung, arched with ornate mouldings and moulded sills. . Facades are deliberately asymmetrical, with bay windows and recessed entry porches featuring timber spindle freizes. Each terrace is setback from the street with a small front garden, and a cast iron palisade front fence on a sandstone base and cast cement urns decorating the party walls.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Fair - Good
Date condition updated:14 May 99
Modifications and dates: Security features, No 35 has an iron awning to the window. Tiling to roofs not original. Alterations to entrance roof of No 35.
Further information: Full Item name in LEP 2011: 'Group of Victorian italianate and Federation period transitional style terraces, including interiors'
Current use: Residential

History

Historical notes: The original owners of the land within the Marrickville Council area were the Cadigal and Wangal clans of the coastal Eora people. They spoke Eora, which may have been a dialect of the Dharug (Darug) language, though sources differ on this point. With the establishment of the penal colony at Sydney Cove in 1788 the dispossession of the original inhabitants was begun. In 1789 a smallpox plague decimated the Aboriginal population, though descendants of the Cadigal and Wangal people still reside within the Sydney metropolitan area.
In 1793 Lieutenant Thomas Rowley, who had served as Adjutant to Francis Grose in the New South Wales Corps, was granted 100 acres at Petersham. This was enlarged by 70 acres in 1794 and by the time of Rowley’s death in 1806 it was 240 acres. He named it Kingston Farm, after Kingston upon Thames, which is thought to have been his place of origin.
East of Kingston Farm was 200 acres that was granted to the trustees of the Female Orphan Institution in 1801. They exchanged it for 1,000 acres in Bathurst and it was re-granted to William Bligh in 1806. Bligh named it Camperdown, after the celebrated Battle of Camperdown, in which he took part. After Bligh’s death in 1817 his property, including Camperdown, was left to his six surviving daughters. In 1827 a racecourse was opened on part of the grant where Royal Prince Alfred Hospital now stands. Disputes arose regarding the validity of some of Bligh’s land grants, especially one in Parramatta. At length in February 1841 Sir Maurice O’Connell (Bligh’s son-in-law) negotiated a settlement whereby the heiresses surrendered their claim to the Parramatta land but the titles to the other grants were confirmed. Camperdown, also known as "The Old Racecourse", was immediately subdivided into "FIFTY ALLOTMTMENTS, varying in extent from one acre and twenty-four porches, to six acres three roods and six perches, to the notice of the Australian public, the Auctioneer deems himself unable, through the medium of an advertisement, to do justice to it’s numerous advantages" (The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser, 1 April 1841) and the sale raised more than £25,000.
Kingston Farm passed to Rowley’s children after his death in 1806, and by 1841 the house stood on 17 acres when Samuel Lyons advertised the "Remaining portion of the KINGSTON FARM, with the DWELLING-HOUSE erected thereon, together with the several detached buildings, namely, Cooking-house, Servants' Rooms, Gig-house, Stables, & co. The extent of the Homestead is six acres one rood and six perches, the greater portion of which is in cultivation as a Garden and Orchard, but the commits of the whole intended for Sale, are sevonteen acres, one rood and thirty perches. It seldom happens that such an eligible property as the foregoing is brought to the barrier, and in this particular instance, Mr. LYONS earnestly invites the personal inspection of intending purchasers, being satisfied that few (if any) situations can be found, within so short a distance of the town, commanding, as Kingston does, so many advantages for A First-rate Home-stead, or an establishment for a family of the highest respectability, as this portion of the KINGSTON GRANT. It is surrounded by the splendid Estates of CAMPERDOWN ANNANDALE, and the well known and highly esteemed properties of James Holt, Esq., and that portion of Kingston, lately purchased by Messrs. Jones and Dacre; it is also in the immediate vicinity of the Glebe Land, Grose Farm, &c. The public have lately given such sufficient proof of their estimation of land in the neighbourhood, of Kingston, that the Auctioneer dopa not feel himself called upon to offer any remarks upon its value, being satisfied that it will realise all the expectations of its proprietor; and parties desirous of possessing so valuable an acquisition to their comfort as the Desirable Retreat of Kingston." (The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser, Tuesday 20 July 1841, p. 3)
In December 1854 Mort & Co. auctioned 190 acres of Kingston Farm as the Kingston Estate (later known as North Kingston), in anticipation of the opening of the railway in 1855. Advertised as "on the Newtown Railway Station", it stretched from the railway to Parramatta Road and was bounded by the Camperdown Estate in the east and St Marys Lane in the west. It included the site of the first Newtown Railway Station, which stood in Station Street, off Enmore Road. This enormous estate, with its narrow streets and tiny blocks, set the pattern for the dense settlement of Newtown.
About 1899 William Chown purchased 12 Albert Street, a large property on the corner of Trade Street. Chown had been living at 43 Rowley Street, Camperdown and he moved to his new property in 1900. William Chown was a founder of the firm of Chown Brothers & Mulholland, who were galvanized iron and tinware manufacturers. The Chown Brothers & Mulholland works had originally been in Erskineville, but by this time the firm had moved to Ultimo.
By this time most of Trade Street had been built out, but a large vacant block remained, owned by J.H. Foster. Foster sold this block to William Chown in 1900 and by 1901 Chown had built a block of five terrace houses at 29-37 Trade Street, which were then leased out. William Chown retained ownership of these houses until his death in 1922. In 1948 they were still owned by Chown’s estate.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Of historical significance for association with William Chown, owner/builder of the terraces, and a founder of the local firm of Chown Brothers & Mulholland, galvanized iron and tinware manufacturers.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Of aesthetic significance as good examples of late Victorian terraces in a transitional style (Victorian Italianate with some Federation period detailing) with much of the ornate original detailing intact. While modest, the level of detailing on the facades of these houses is elaborate, including decorative stucco detailing and decorative tile panels. They relate to a row of five terraces opposite at 29-37 Trade Street which have been designed by the same builder, and together with the five terraces opposite, form a significanct streetscape group.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Representative of housing styles transitional between the Victorian and Federation periods.
Integrity/Intactness: The buildings are intact and retain their integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building shall be retained and conserved. A Heritage Impact Statement or a Conservation Management Plan, may be required to accompany any development application for major works to the building. There shall be no alterations to the façade of the building other than repairs or reinstatement of original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved where present. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing building, and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville Local Environmental Plan 2011I17512 Dec 11 2011/645 
Within a conservation area on an LEPwithin draft cons. area Marrickville LEP 2001    
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Marrickville Heritage Study19862.22/1Fox and Associates  No
Marrickville Heritage Study Review19972030205Tropman & Tropman Architects1997-1999 Yes
Review of Potential Heritage Items for Marrickville Council2009 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2030205
File number: 2.22/1


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.