Group of Federation Queen Anne Style Terrace Houses, including interiors | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Group of Federation Queen Anne Style Terrace Houses, including interiors

Item details

Name of item: Group of Federation Queen Anne Style Terrace Houses, including interiors
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Terrace
Primary address: 63 - 69 Alice Street, Newtown, NSW 2042
Local govt. area: Marrickville
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
63 - 69 Alice StreetNewtownMarrickville  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The terrace of four houses are of local historical significance as houses built by local stonemason William Morton in 1894. The terrace is of aesthetic significance as an unusual terrace of modest houses which exhibits early Federation Queen Anne style influences in its design.
Date significance updated: 11 Jan 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: William Morton, Stonemason
Physical description: This group of four two-storey terraces are constructed of face brick although Nos. 63, 67 and 69 have had facades painted. Nos. 65, 67 and 69 have bull nose verandahs of corrugated iron and No. 63 has a pitched verandah roof of corrugated steel.. Nos. 65 and 69 retain their ornate timber bracing brackets to the verandah roof. All of the buildings have timber balconies to the first floor with a gabled roof with timber bargeboards and finials. There is also a timber latticing to the gable ends. The handrails to the balcony are of a simple style on Nos. 65, 67 and 69 however No. 63 has a more elaborate (modern) timber railing with timber cut-outs. The French doors to the balcony are timber panelled and glazed with a fanlight above. The ground floor of each house features a timber panelled door with fanlight above, and a pair of timber framed double-hung windows which, where original have 9-paned top sashes. The front verandah floor has tessellated tiling where original. Nos. 63 and 69 have unglazed terracotta roofing tiles; Nos. 65 and 67 has corrugated steel roofs. There are stuccoed brick chimneys to No. 69, and central to Nos. 65 and 67, but no chimney to No. 63.There are no original front fences to the street.

No. 63: painted brick, timber-panelled front door with security screen door; 9-paned top sashes to ground floor windows; modern timber picket front fence.
No. 65: face brick walls, modern front door with security screen door, original ground floor windows with 9-paned top sashes, cyclone wire front fence.
No. 67: painted brick walls, timber panelled front door with security screen door, original ground floor windows with 9-paned top sashes, modern timber picket front fence
No. 69: painted brick walls, concrete balustrade to front verandah, security screens to ground floor front door and windows, cyclone wire mesh front fence, concrete front garden.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Fair
Date condition updated:07 Nov 08
Modifications and dates: Security features have been added to most of the openings. A recent pitched verandah has been added to No 63 as has a new balcony railing.
Current use: Residential

History

Historical notes: The original owners of the land within the Marrickville Council area were the Cadigal and Wangal clans of the coastal Eora people. They spoke Eora, which may have been a dialect of the Dharug (Darug) language, though sources differ on this point. With the establishment of the penal colony at Sydney Cove in 1788 the dispossession of the original inhabitants was begun. In 1789 a smallpox plague decimated the Aboriginal population, though descendants of the Cadigal and Wangal people still reside within the Sydney metropolitan area.
On 8 January 1794 Paul Page, William Jenkins and James Jenkins were each granted 30 acres in the area south of what is now Enmore Road. By 1835 Jenkins’ grant was owned by Captain Sylvester Browne (best known as the father of novelist T.A. Browne, "Rolf Boldrewood") and John Verge designed a house that looked out to Botany Bay. Browne moved to Victoria and in June 1838 the villa, called "Enmore House", was advertised for lease. In June 1840 the entire estate, by now 40 acres, was advertised for sale. The purchaser appears to have been Isaac Simmons.
Simmons subdivided part of the property as the "Beautiful Village of Enmore" in about 1841. This stretched from Juliet Street to Simmons Street. In the vicinity of what is now Metropolitan Road was "Enmore House" itself, which retained 9 acres of grounds.
In August 1841 Jacob Josephson (an emancipist who had been transported in 1818) bought "Enmore House" and its grounds from Simmons. On Jacob Josephson’s death in 1845, his son Joshua Josephson, a businessman, politician and later solicitor-general and judge inherited the house.
The remainder of Browne’s property appears to have been bought by Mary Reibey, the emancipist businesswoman (transported for horse-stealing in 1790) who was, by this time, both wealthy and respectable. In the early 1840s she had "Reiby House" built, a villa that stood between what is now Reiby Street and Station Street. In about 1847 "Stanmore House" (between Simmons Street and Reiby Street), probably designed by architect Henry Robertson, was also built for Mary Reiby.
Immediately to the south of the "Enmore House" property was the 30 acre grant of William Jenkins, which extended south from what is now Holt Street to Camden Street. In the early 1840s Robert Bourne purchased part of Jenkin’s grant and Caudle’s grant (which may have formed parts of Browne’s holdings). He built "Camden Villa", a substantial two-story house. The property was later purchased by Thomas Holt. "Camden Villa" was sold in 1863 to the Congregational Church. It then became Camden College, but mounting debts forced the further subdivision of the grounds in 1876. When sold in September 1888, three acres was all that was left of the grounds. The purchasers, the Mutual Provident Land Investing & Building Society Limited, subdivided and sold the remainder at auction in December 1888 and Camden College was demolished.
Alice Street in Enmore was formed by Joshua and Manuel Josephson in 1874 as part of their "Camdenville" subdivision, and named for Joshua's ninth child, Alice Cooper Josephson. In June 1875 the street was formed and houses were being built. By the late 1880s stonemason William Morton lived at what is now 155 Alice Street and his brother John Morton, also a stonemason, lived nearby at 159 Alice Street. By 1889 William Morton had purchased several blocks in Alice Street. William Morton built four terrace houses on the blocks in about 1894 and rented them out. The four houses were sold to Mrs M.A. Allen by 1899 and she retained them until at least 1909.
Mrs Allen sold the properties and in 1920 they were owned by J.H. and H.A. Thompson. The Thompson family owned the properties until at least 1948.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Of local historical significance as houses built by local stonemason William Morton in 1894.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The terrace is of aesthetic significance as an unusual terrace of modest houses which exhibits early Federation Queen Anne style influences in its design.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Unusual 2 storey terrace with early Federation Queen Anne style influenced design.
Integrity/Intactness: These buildings are relatively intact and retain much of their integrity
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building shall be retained and conserved. A Heritage Impact Statement or a Conservation Management Plan, may be required to accompany any development application for major works to the building. There shall be no alterations to the façade of the building other than repairs or reinstatement of original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved where present. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing building, and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville LEP 2011I13312 Dec 11 2011/645 
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville Local Environmental Plan 2001 18 May 01 86 
Within a conservation area on an LEPwithin draft cons. area Marrickville LEP 2001    
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Marrickville Heritage Study19860.03Fox and Associates  No
Marrickville Heritage Study Review19972030215Tropman & Tropman Architects1997-1999 Yes
Review of Potential Heritage Items for Marrickville Council2009 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2030215
File number: 0.03


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.