Gatehouse to Annandale Farm (Former) - located off Corunna Lane, incl. interiors | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Gatehouse to Annandale Farm (Former) - located off Corunna Lane, incl. interiors

Item details

Name of item: Gatehouse to Annandale Farm (Former) - located off Corunna Lane, incl. interiors
Other name/s: Gatehouse to Annandale Farm House former
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Other - Residential Buildings (private)
Primary address: 96 Corunna Road (rear of site only), Stanmore, NSW 2048
Local govt. area: Marrickville
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
96 Corunna Road (rear of site only)StanmoreMarrickville  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The c. 1860s former Annandale Farm gatehouse is of historical significance as one of the few remaining structures from Annandale Farm and as one of the structures at the Parramatta Road entrance to Annandale Farm. It is a rare surviving example of a Parramatta Road gatehouse associated with a major early estate and residence, albeit now relocated. The building is of aesthetic significance as it retains its original form (though reclad and with minor additions).
Date significance updated: 11 Jan 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: The building is located at the rear of 96-98 Corunna Road and is only visible from Corunna Lane. The building is a freestanding single storey fibro clad (probably originally weatherboard) building with a gabled corrugated steel roof. The building is symmetrical with 2 projecting bays with gable ends facing Corunna Lane and a skillion roofed verandah between. The only visible fenestration is a central timber panelled front door and a single timber framed double hung window in the western end of the northern laneway elevation. At the eastern end of the northern elevation is a single storey skillion roofed fibro addition to the north-eastern corner of the building. The building has a small setback from the laneway behind a high fence.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Fair to poor
Date condition updated:27 Jul 99
Modifications and dates: Recladding with fibro; fibro skillion roofed additions.
Further information: Draft
Current use: Outbuilding
Former use: Gatehouse to Annandale Farm

History

Historical notes: The original owners of the land within the Marrickville Council area were the Cadigal and Wangal clans of the coastal Eora people. They spoke Eora, which may have been a dialect of the Dharug (Darug) language, though sources differ on this point. With the establishment of the penal colony at Sydney Cove in 1788 the dispossession of the original inhabitants was begun. In 1789 a smallpox plague decimated the Aboriginal population, though descendants of the Cadigal and Wangal people still reside within the Sydney metropolitan area.
In May 1793 Captain George Johnston of the New South Wales Corps was granted 100 acres south of Parramatta Road (in the area now known as Stanmore, which became known in the late 19th century as South Annandale), which he named "Annandale Farm". Adjacent to what is now Johnstons Creek, it was supplemented by two smaller grants in 1794. Johnston was granted an additional 290 acres in 1798, which extended Johnston’s land north to the shores of Sydney Harbour (covering the area now known as Annandale, known in the late 19th century as North Annandale). It is believed that "Annandale House", which was built south of Parramatta Road in the vicinity of Macaulay Road, Stanmore, was constructed in about 1799. The 430 acres of "Annandale Farm" became the nucleus of extensive farming interests for the Johnston family, which stretched as far as the Monaro.
"Annandale Farm" was one of the most important sites in Australian colonial history. Captain George Johnston played key roles in the suppression of the Vinegar Hill uprising and in the Rum Rebellion. He and his family played a significant part in the development of pastoral industry, including the development of merino wool sheep breeds, in Australia.
When George Johnston died in 1823 his common-law wife Esther Abrahams was left a life interest in "Annandale Farm", which would ultimately be inherited by their son Robert Johnston. Esther attempted to lease the property and court proceedings taken against her in 1829 found her to be "not of sound mind". Esther moved to another family property, "Lockwood", while Robert Johnston occupied "Annandale Farm", from where he superintended his extensive squatting interests.
A map of the "Estate named Annandale situate in the Parish of Petersham and District of Sydney the property of Robert Johnston Esq R.N", dated 1843 Surveyed by Goodall and Bemi (Mitchell Library M3 811.182 1843 4) shows that Annandale south of Parramatta Road was divided into paddocks, ranging from 2 to 50 acres. From Johnstons Creek as the east boundary it extended to White’s grant in the west. Annandale Road, south of Parramatta Road is shown as a tree-lined drive to "Annandale House". No gatehouse is shown on Parramatta Road at this time. The route for the railway, which opened in September 1855, is shown south of Johnstons Creek on the southern edge of the grant.
As Sydney developed, "Annandale Farm", with its stately avenue of Norfolk Island pines (the earliest avenue of Norfolk Island pines in mainland Australia: these were seedlings sent by Captain Piper to the Johnstons in 1804) and attractive gardens, was a notable landmark on Parramatta Road. Gates and a gatehouse were constructed on Parramatta Road - probably in the 1850s or 1860s: architectural analysis of the sandstone of the surviving gate pillars now at Annandale Public School estimates their age as 1850s, and an 1870s photograph of the Parramatta Road entrance to the "Annandale Farm" shows the gatehouse. There were numerous wings and store buildings adjacent to Annandale House, which had become the centre of what was almost a small village. Like the Macarthur’s house at "Elizabeth Farm" at Parramatta, "Annandale House" was extended throughout the 19th century. The gatehouse, with a verandah on two elevations between projecting wings, somewhat resembles the footprint of the original section of "Annandale House", though in miniature form.
By the 1870s much of the land surrounding "Annandale Farm" had been subdivided. In 1877 subdivision of North Annandale was commenced and shortly thereafter John Young bought the whole of North Annandale from Robert Johnston. A railway station opened at Stanmore in 1878. With Robert Johnston’s death in 1882 the way was clear for wholesale subdivision. The first subdivision, the "South Annandale Estate" was auctioned on Saturday 20 September 1884. It included the area bounded by Bruce Street, Gordon Crescent, Stanley Street and Albany Road. By this time a portion of land had been sold to Petersham Council and dedicated as Weekley Park. The family had earlier refused to sell a site near what is now Stanley and Douglas Streets as a park.
The second sale at South Annandale was on Saturday 21 November 1885. It included Albany Road from Stanley Street to Charles Street, Temple Street and Stanley Street. By then the whole of Douglas Street and Gordon Crescent, from Stanley Street to Bruce Street had been sold. When the "South Annandale First Subdivision" was auctioned on 19 November 1892, it included all of the area bounded by Bruce Street, Albany Road, Percival Road and Gordon Crescent. By then most of the 1885 subdivision had sold. In 1886 Fanny Johnston, Robert Johnston’s widow, donated £3,000 for the construction of an elaborate station building at Stanmore railway station to attract purchasers to the South Annandale subdivisions.
In 1886 coachman Michael Joseph Atkinson is first recorded living in Parramatta Road. It appears likely that he worked for the Johnston family and was living in the gatehouse on Parramatta Road at that time. In about 1897 the Trustees of Johnston’s Estate moved the gatehouse to Lots 15 and 16, Section B2, of the Annandale Estate (now 96 Corunna Road). Michael Atkinson moved with the gatehouse and in 1898 he is recorded living in Corunna Road. In about 1902 Michael Atkinson purchased the two blocks from the Trustees. By 1903 he had built a new house on his blocks, which he named "Annandale", presumably celebrating his connection with the estate. The gatehouse, now known as "The Lodge", was leased by Thomas William Skinner, while Atkinson lived in his new house. By 1907 "The Lodge" was leased by Sydney Jones.
On 24 March 1906 the remainder of the South Annandale Estate was subdivided. The area was bounded by Percival Road, Macauley Lane, Bridge Road and Salisbury Road. It included the site of "Annandale House", which had been demolished in 1905; its cedar doors, shutters, fittings and bricks had been auctioned. The gates were removed and re-erected at Liverpool Show Ground where they remained until the 1960s, before being relocated to Annandale Public School in 1978.
"The Lodge" began to lose a separate identity from the new house on this double-block site and in 1914 it was noted that at 96 Corunna Road there was "a W.B. (weatherboard) Cottage at rear occupied by Mr Stuckey". (Petersham Rates Books, Annandale Ward, 1914).
Between 1908 and 1911 William Edward Prigg, a builder who lived nearby in Leichhardt Street, Leichhardt, purchased a number of blocks (now 190-200 Parramatta Road) from the Johnston Estate. These blocks were on the former site of the gates and gatehouse. By 1911 Prigg had built a skating rink at 192-200 Parramatta Road on the former site of the gates and gatehouse.
In 1922 "Annandale", the brick house at 96 Corunna Road, was sold to Gertrude Gowing and the Atkinson family moved to 81 Albany Road, Stanmore.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal (none)-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The gatehouse is of historical significance as one of the few remaining structures from Annandale Farm and as one of the structures at the Parramatta Road entrance to Annandale Farm. It is a rare surviving example of a Parramatta Road gatehouse associated with a major early estate and residence, albeit now relocated.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The building is of aesthetic significance as it retains its original form (though reclad and with minor additions).
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Of social significance due to association with the Annandale Estate.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
A rare surviving example of a Parramatta Road gate house assoicated with a major early estate.
Integrity/Intactness: The building retains its essential form, though relocated (not far from its original location), reclad with fibro, and with minor skillion additions.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building shall be retained and conserved. A Conservation Management Plan involving a thorough fabric analysis of the building, should be required to accompany any development application for major works to the building. There shall be no alterations to the building other than repairs or reinstatement of original features, or removal of later additions or cladding as part of conservation works.. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features should be retained and conserved where present. Any additions and alterations should be confined to t areas of less significance, should not be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing building, and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville LEP 2011I24612 Dec 11 2011/645 
Within a conservation area on an LEPwithin draft cons. area Marrickville LEP 2001    
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Marrickville Heritage Study19860.13Fox and Associates  No
Marrickville Heritage Study Review19972030221Tropman & Tropman Architects1997-1999 Yes
Review of Potential Heritage Items for Marrickville Council2009 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2030221
File number: 0.13


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.