Federation Queen Anne Style House, including interiors | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Federation Queen Anne Style House, including interiors

Item details

Name of item: Federation Queen Anne Style House, including interiors
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Primary address: 15 Liberty Street (corner Cambridge Street), Enmore, NSW 2042
Local govt. area: Marrickville
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
15 Liberty Street (corner Cambridge Street)EnmoreMarrickville  Primary Address
Cambridge StreetEnmoreMarrickville  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

Of local historical signficance as the house built in 1902 for William Greenwood, a local produce merchant, whose store was at 173 Enmore Road. Of local aesthetic significance as a well detailed Federation Queen Anne style house, which addresses its corner location wiith a corner turret and verandahs to both street frontages.
Date significance updated: 10 Jan 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: This single storey Federation Period house is constructed of face brick with conical towers which have decorative finials to two corners of the house. The windows are leadlight and a verandah is present around a large portion of the building. This verandah is supported by turned timber columns. The entry door facing Liberty Street has etched glass and stained glass and timber panels. There is timber freizework and timber bargeboards to the gable. The roof is concrete tiled hipped and gabled.One of the turrets features band of elaborate decorative stucco.. The gable end facing Cambridge Street feaures imitation half timbering over roughcast stucco, and decorative timber fretwork bargeboards. The garden is well established with brick pathways lined with sandstone blocks. The house site combines three alotments at the corner of Liberty Street and Cambridge Street. The site is bounded by a modern rendered brick fence.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:30 Apr 99
Modifications and dates: There are early security features to the doors and the windows. There are possible additions to the rear of the building. Otherwise there are minor modifications.
Current use: Residential

History

Historical notes: The original owners of the land within the Marrickville Council area were the Cadigal and Wangal clans of the coastal Eora people. They spoke Eora, which may have been a dialect of the Dharug (Darug) language, though sources differ on this point. With the establishment of the penal colony at Sydney Cove in 1788 the dispossession of the original inhabitants had begun. In 1789 a smallpox plague decimated the Aboriginal population, though descendants of the Cadigal and Wangal people still reside within the Sydney metropolitan area.
The land that 15 Liberty Street is built on was granted to Captain Thomas Rowley, adjutant of the New South Wales Corps. Originally granted 100 acres in 1793, Rowley’s grant, known as Kingston Farm, was enlarged twice, in 1800 and 1803, to 240 acres. Compared to the modest 25 acre blocks typically granted to emancipists and soldiers it was a substantial land holding. By July1841 Kingston Farm was being subdivided, when Samuel Lyons advertised a portion of the estate, the house "erected thereon, together with the several detached buildings, namely, Cooking-house, Servants' Rooms, Gig-house, Stables, &Co." (Sydney Gazette, 20 July 1841, p. 3)
In 1854 a portion of Kingston Farm, south of the proposed railway line from Sydney to Parramatta and close to the site of Newtown Railway Station, was purchased by Thomas Holt, Thomas Ware Smart, Thomas Sutcliffe Mort and George Wigram Allen. The railway opened in September 1855 and in 1857 the land was subdivided into 370 allotments as the Kingston South Estate. The subdivision was not a great success and in 1861, after four years, only 16 lots had been sold and the unsold lots were distributed among the partners. It was then re-subdivided in 1863 and became the first subdivision under the provisions of the Real Property Act of 1862 (now known as Torrens Title) on 24 December 1863 as "Holt, Smart and Mort's Subdivision of South Kingston", Deposited Plan 1.
By the 1890s there were houses built on most of the blocks on Liberty Street. An exception was the site on the corner of Liberty and Cavendish Streets, which was a stables owned by Mr A. Lee. Lee sold the block to William Greenwood, a produce merchant, whose store was at 173 Enmore Road. Greenwood had a house built on the block in about 1902. Greenwood resided in the house, probably until his death in 1935. The house was still part of Greenwood’s estate until at least 1948.
By the 1990s the house had been converted into flats.
In 1998 owners Bruno and Helen Crasswill returned the house to a single dwelling and undertook conservation works, which included removing unsympathetic accretions, reinstating missing doors and timber verandah posts found in a garden shed, revealing ornate internal plasterwork from under later ceilings, and repairs to the verandah. The property was a finalist in the 1998 Marrickville Medal.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Of local historical signficance as the house built in 1902 for William Greenwood, a local produce merchant, whose store was at 173 Enmore Road.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Of local aesthetic significance as a well detailed Federation Queen Anne style house, which addresses its corner location wiith a corner turret and verandahs to both street frontages.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
A representative Federation Queen Anne style house.
Integrity/Intactness: The building is intact and retains its integrity
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building shall be retained and conserved. A Heritage Impact Statement or a Conservation Management Plan, may be required to accompany any development application for major works to the building. There shall be no alterations to the façade of the building other than repairs or reinstatement of original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved where present. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing building, and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville LEP 2011I4112 Dec 11 2011/645 
Within a conservation area on an LEPwithin draft cons. area Marrickville LEP 2001    
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Marrickville Heritage Study19862.62/5Fox and AssociatesOctober 1995 No
Marrickville Heritage Study Review19972030239Tropman & Tropman Architects1997-1999 Yes
Review of Potential Heritage Items for Marrickville Council2009 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2030239
File number: 2.62/5


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.