Federation Queen Anne Mansion and Coach House - Penston Hall, incl. interiors | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Federation Queen Anne Mansion and Coach House - Penston Hall, incl. interiors

Item details

Name of item: Federation Queen Anne Mansion and Coach House - Penston Hall, incl. interiors
Other name/s: Marrickville Community Health Centre (former)
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Mansion
Primary address: 159 Livingstone Road, Marrickville, NSW 2204
Local govt. area: Marrickville
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
159 Livingstone RoadMarrickvilleMarrickville  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Penston Hall is of historical significance as it was built as the residence of the Chown family from 1910 - Alfred Chown was one of the founders of Chown Bros & Mullholland Ltd, galvanized iron and tinware manufacturers. The house is also of historical significance for its association with the Marrickville Hospital as a nurses' home from 1929 and later as part of the Marrickville Community Health Service.
Penston Hall and its garden is of aesthetic significance as a substantial residence which is a fine representative example of the Federation Queen Anne style, very intact, within a largely intact garden setting.
The house also has historical association with the Marrickville Hospital as a nurses' home from 1929 and later as part of the Marrickville Community Health Service. The house is of social significance for its long association with Marrickville Hospital and the Marrickville Community Health Service.
Date significance updated: 12 Jan 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: A substantial 2 storey Federation Queen Anne style freestanding mansion with polychome brick walls and a hipped and gabled unglazed terracotta tiled roof, with gable ends facing 2 sides. The house features a 2 storey return verandah/balcony structure with turned timber posts, timber picket balustrading and timber fretwork brackets. The corner of the house facing into the verandah/balcony structure is splayed and features triple casement leadlight windows to each level with fanlights. Windows are timber framed double hung, with leadlight to windows and doors facing onto the verandah/balcony structure. The main entry door fanlight is leadlight with the name "Penston Hall" inscribed in the leadlight. The verandah/balcony features a timber tongue and grooved ceiling. The eaves of the house are also timber tongue and grooved. The house has a substantial setback from the street and a large front garden featuring canariensis palms. There is a side driveway on the northern side of the house.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:14 May 99
Modifications and dates: A/C. Several outbuildings. Possible extension to the rear of Penston Hall, half brick, half timber.
Current use: Child Care Centre
Former use: Residence, Marrickville Community Health Centre

History

Historical notes: The original owners of the land within the Marrickville Council area were the Cadigal and Wangal clans of the coastal Eora people. They spoke Eora, which may have been a dialect of the Dharug (Darug) language, though sources differ on this point. With the establishment of the penal colony at Sydney Cove in 1788 the dispossession of the original inhabitants was begun. In 1789 a smallpox plague decimated the Aboriginal population, though descendants of the Cadigal and Wangal people still reside within the Sydney metropolitan area.
Thomas Moore was a boatbuilder and landholder, who arrived in 1796. He was granted 1170 acres in Petersham, which he extended by purchase to 1920 acres by 1807. Dr Robert Wardell, who had arrived in 1824, purchased Moore’s holdings in the late 1820s and by the time of his death owned about 2500 acres, which was known as the "Petersham Estate". Wardell’s house, "Sara Dell" stood near Parramatta Road, on a site now occupied by Fort Street High School, though most of the "Petersham Estate" was south of Stanmore and New Canterbury Roads, stretching to the Cooks River. Dr Wardell was murdered in 1834 and his estate was divided amongst his relatives. Subdivision of the Petersham Estate was begun in 1848.
A portion of the Petersham estate was subdivided as the "Sydenham Estate" in anticipation of the opening of the Sydney to Parramatta railway and advertised for sale, with an auction on 9 October 1854. The area immediately to the south of the "Sydenham Estate", south of Stanmore Road, was subdivided in 1854 as the "Norwood Estate". Stretching from Albert Street to Livingstone Road, and south to Addison Road, it enjoyed views to Botany Bay and was advertised as suitable for villas, cottages and business premises. South of Addison Road was the Norwood Dairy, which was gradually subdivided from the 1880s onwards.
By the 1870s Marrickville was a patchwork of villas, market gardens, dairies, brickworks and a small commercial centre on Illawarra Road, where the first Marrickville Town Hall was built. The building of a tramway from Marrickville to Dulwich Hill via Marrickville Road in 1889 encouraged suburban subdivisions and with the opening of the Wardell Road (now Dulwich Hill) and Marrickville railway stations on the Belmore Line in 1895 and the electrification of the tram line in 1900, this trend accelerated.
With the improvements to transport, the commercial centre of Marrickville moved from Illawarra Road to Marrickville Road. Marrickville Cottage Hospital (Marrickville District Hospital from 1922) was begun in 1897 and opened in 1899, with enlargements in 1913, 1926 and many alterations since.
The family of James Smith, one of the founders of Goodlet & Smith, brickmakers and hardware merchants, had extensive landholding in this area. They had a large block of land on the corner of Marrickville Road and Livingstone Road, diagonally opposite their large villa, "Shrublands". In 1909 Alfred Chown purchased several blocks from the Estate of James Smith and had a large villa called "Penston Hall" constructed on the site in 1910. Chown was one of the founders of Chown Bros & Mullholland Ltd, galvanized iron and tinware manufacturers. Alfred Chown died in 1913 and his widow, Mrs Jean Chown, continued to reside there.
Marrickville District Hospital purchased "Penston Hall" in 1929 as a nurses’ quarters. It later became part of the Marrickville Community Health Centre.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Health-Activities associated with preparing and providing medical assistance and/or promoting or maintaining the well being of humans (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The house is of historical significance as it was built as the residence of the Chown family from 1910 - Alfred Chown was one of the founders of Chown Bros & Mullholland Ltd, galvanized iron and tinware manufacturers. The house is also of historical significance for its association with the Marrickville Hospital as a nurses' home from 1929 and later as part of the Marrickville Community Health Service.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Penston Hall is of aesthetic significance as a substantial, fine example of the Federation Queen Anne style, within a largely intact garden setting.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The house is of social significance for its long association with Marrickville Hospital and the Marrickville Community Health Service.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Penston Hall is a fine representative example of the Federation Queen Anne style.
Integrity/Intactness: The building is intact and retains its integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building shall be retained and conserved. A Heritage Impact Statement or a Conservation Management Plan, may be required to accompany any development application for major works to the building. There shall be no alterations to the façade of the building other than repairs or reinstatement of original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved where present. Any additions and alterations should be confined to the rear in areas of less significance, should not be visually prominent or overwhelm the existing building, and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville LEP 2011I10012 Dec 11 2011/645 
Within a conservation area on an LEP     
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Marrickville Heritage Study19860.24Fox and Associates  No
Marrickville Heritage Study Review19972030243Tropman & Tropman Architects1997-1999 Yes
Review of Potential Heritage Items for Marrickville Council2009 Paul Davies Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written  Chown Bros & Mulholland; Marrickville Hospital history
WrittenCashman, Richard and Meader, Chrys1990Marrickville: rural outpost to inner city
WrittenHeritas Architecture2003Marrickville Community Health Centre Heritage Impact Statement
WrittenMeader, Chrys, Cashman, Richard and Carolan, Anne1994Marrickville people and places
WrittenNSW Land and Property Information Certificates of Title vol. 1972, folio 238; vol. 2083, folio 14; Vol. 10039, folio 249

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2030243
File number: 0.24


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.